Houzz Logo Print
dollygumps

Furniture arrangement in a 1930's Tudor.

Eboe
hace 6 años
We bought a 1930's Tudor one year ago and updated/renovated it. We currently have no furniture so before I start buying I would love some advice. We kept a lot of the character of the house - refinished the original oak floors and trim and kept the textured walls. I painted the walls grey and the fireplace surround in the living room white. The fireplace is on the longest wall opposite the entrance to the LR, but not totally centered in the room. Windows are on either side of the fireplace as well as on the wall to the right (front of house). There is nothing but wall on the wall to the left of the entrance or fireplace (opposite the front of house wall). There will be a wood mantle installed as well as a slate hearth. My style incorporated throughout the main floor is older (soapstone counters, antique brass fixtures, marble bathroom sinks, reclaimed light fixtures). My colors are grey's with natural wood accents and the antique brass. I like some pops of color but only with things like pillows, rugs, vases and art - easily changeable things. I love an older style that is either 30's-40's or even a little mid mod. Thanks for any advice.

Comentarios (38)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

First….new sconces…something rugged to match the stones in the fireplace.

I think I will contradict your choice of white for the fireplace….I think that area too should be dark,,,dark windows, dark sconces.

Windsung English Bronze Two-Light Sconce · Más información
    The fireplace looks centered in your photos…what is “off”?

Is that the final stain on the floors?

What color are you painting the trim?

How big is the room?

Do you have a rug?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 6 años

A symmetrical layout featuring two sofas facing each other or one sofa/two chairs facing each other with a coffee table in the middle. Use your fireplace as the centerline. Agree on the sconces, and would also invest in some decorative metal covers/vents for your radiators.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I started with the rug. It looks (monitor) great with your floors and wall color.

Bellevue Gray Colored Polypropylene Area Rug, 7'10 x10'10 · Más información
    Sofa….this with the gray walls.
    Apt2B Bannister Sofa, Beige · Más información
    Accent pillows from etsy.com
    And this chair,,,for sure, I love it and love it for your accent color.
    Uttermost 23314 Dax Mid-century Teal Blue Accent Chair · Más información

• PRO
    Avoree Ferreira-Dunlap
    hace 6 años

I think simple grey couches and a patterned chair for a pop of color would look lovely! The like will take you to a picture with similar features that your room has, and incorporates the ideas I just mentioned

[houzz=https://www.houzz.com/photos/pennsylvania-farm-house-traditional-family-room-philadelphia-phvw-vp~316443]

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    hace 6 años

let us know if we can help with the furnishings.

CLICK HERE TO REQUEST A QUOTE

xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECTS

ALEXA STYLE - DIAMOND TUFTED BACK · Más información

ARLYN STYLE · Más información

• Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    JudyG, we do have some sconces that we rescued from a 1920's farmhouse, we just haven't put them up yet. I went back and forth regarding light or dark around the fireplace so I love the suggestion of dark too. I can change that easily. The fireplace is centered, just not the opening to the room across from the fireplace. The baseboards will be a darker brown stain. I do t have a rug yet but love the one you suggested along with the chair and sofa. You you recommend only one of each?

Sabrina Alvin, we have radiator covers that have been removed to strip the many layers of paint that covered them. Would you suggest reprinting them the same color as the walls?
  • PRO
    Julie Murray
    hace 6 años

What a beautiful opportunity and space! Not sure if you have existing furniture pieces you plan to use or starting new. You can go with traditional tudor or add a more modern look. Traditional is heavy, dark wood furniture, large book shelves, tufted leather, traditional rug, wing back chairs, game table, etc. See are a few sample pics of style:

or more modern:

• User
    hace 6 años
    What is the size of your living space
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 6 años

Eboe, I'd paint the radiator covers the same as the wall color. The fireplace should be the focal point. The goal should be to have them blend in.

• Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    JudyG & Claire Larece, the room is 23' x 13.5'. 23' is on the fireplace wall. It seems pretty wide, which is one of the things I struggle with in terms of layout. I like having the fireplace as a focal point but it looks like that would leave an odd amount of space on either side of the room.
  • Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Avoree Ferreira-Dunlap, you suggest couches and a chair. How would you arrange that?
  • User
    hace 6 años

Is this a tv watching space or a formal living room?

• Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    So far this is not a tv living space but because the house is smaller, it could possibly end up being one. The main floor has a kitchen, dining room, office and living room. I am heavily leaning towards not having a tv in this room but making it very comfortable for everyday lounging as well as entertaining. If we did add a tv, how would you arrange the room?
  • User
    hace 6 años

This is my layout rendition of this room. I added built-in book shelves on the left hand side of the room. I had added the sofa on the opposite side but didn't want to make it crowded

• User
    hace 6 años

If you could avoid this being the tv room, that would be the best. The. You avoid the whole fireplace vs tv standoff that can happen.

• PRO
    Avoree Ferreira-Dunlap
    hace 6 años

Eboe, I thought about it, and I think two chairs facing the fire place and two smaller sofas on either side. Then, I would put some sort of storage (I was thinking a "bar" of some sort, since you said that you did entertaining in this room).

• PRO
    Julie Murray
    hace 6 años

If the room is deep enough, I would have the sofa face the fireplace with matching chairs on each side of the fireplace, angled facing the sofa. End tables on each side of the sofa, a round coffee table or padded, tufted ottoman in front of the sofa. Add a sofa table behind the sofa to soften the entrance into the space. Add a buffet on one of the side walls with matching chairs on each side. On the opposite side wall maybe a bench with a small round end table. Maybe add some bookshelves. Keep the conversation area in the middle of the room and add extra seating and furniture on the on the side walls.

• coopermcboo
    hace 6 años

You've gotten some great ideas - and I'll just add a thought for a sofa -- how about a classic chesterfield? Maybe in in a chestnut... but you could choose any leather. Restoration Hardware has several leathers in gray/charcoal also. Great space!

• Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Claire and Avoree, I love your ideas. I think I like the idea if incorporating some of each your ideas looks great. I would put a larger rug and drapes on all 3 windows. I love the idea of a bar or storage table on the wall without windows.

Coopermcboo, I also like the chesterfield idea, especially if I decide to go with one sofa with chairs on either side. I will tape out the possibilities to see everything in terms of space.

Thank you all for your ideas :)
  • Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Truly, I agree with you. This will remain a room without a tv. I want the fireplace to be the focal point.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 5 años

Good result! Thank you for shearing photos.

• PRO
    Avoree Ferreira-Dunlap
    hace 5 años

Wow, it looks amazing! More importantly, however, I am happy you are happy with it! It is easy to get caught up in a vision of a space leaving you feeling disapointed with the real world outcome... but it seems like you took time to research and strategically plan out the space for you and your family. Congratulations!

• User
    hace 5 años
    It looks wonderful! Will you be adding the curtains? Glad we were to able to help.
  • houssaon
    hace 5 años

Love the space. Thanks for the update.

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    We have had four houses from the 1920’s and purchased three Persian rugs when we moved into the second one. We still have those rugs nearly 50 years later because Persian rugs never go out of style and any style furniture goes with them. Our current house is from the 70’s, a California Ranch, but we put in hardwood floors before we moved in 33 years ago because the rugs needed wood floors.
    In furnishing your home, I would start with rugs and then select the upholstered pieces. The rugs you select will suggest colors for your upholstered pieces. Our three rugs are in a semi-open plan (living room, dining room and den). Because they are all Persian, the styles go together even though the colors are different. The walls are all painted a pale golden cream color called Cameo, by DunnEdwards Paint.
  • eaw 513
    hace 5 años
    What a great result! I love that you lightened the walls.
  • JustDoIt
    hace 5 años

What a lovely room.

• Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Claire,
    Sadly we moved right after finishing the renovations. If we had stayed then I would have added curtains and or/window coverings to several windows. Here are a couple more photos of the finished house.
  • msuvig
    hace 5 años

Beautiful reno!!!

• felizlady
    hace 5 años
    All that work and you moved?
    What was the material and process used for that beautiful kitchen floor?
  • Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Felizlady,

Thank you for your comment. Yes, sadly we were transferred - very sad to leave and not be able to enjoy all that work. It was certainly fun to research all the ideas though. The kitchen floor was a type of concrete called Ardex. The kitchen had existing in-floor heating that we didn’t want to remove but an ugly thick tile on top. The issue we had was that I wanted the original wood floor, that butted up to the kitchen at both the dining and hallway entrances, to be flush with whatever we put in the kitchen. This meant it could only be a very thin material and the Ardex was self leveling and matched what we wanted.
  • Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    Msuvig,

Thank you :)
  • Dawn Martinez
    hace 5 años

Beautiful renovation, love that kitchen floor. Sad that you had to move, you did an amazing job!

• tgb1
    hace 5 años
    Eboe- so funny - I thought I recognized that living room!
    I was in your house for the open house- it was absolutely stunning!!
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an impressive renovation- u really did a wonderful job :))
  • Eboe
    Autor original
    hace 5 años
    tgb1, thank you! What a small world :)
  • csevene
    hace 5 años
    I agree with others, what a beautiful renovation!!
    So sorry to hear you had to leave it after all that hard work!
    Thank you for sharing the beautiful updates!!
  • amanda99999
    hace 5 años

OP your fireplace is awesome! So happy to see you kept it.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.