Houzz Logo Print
laims

Window treatment for 18' ceiling

laims
hace 6 años
Could I do shutters only on the bottom window? What else would look good here?

Comentarios (20)

• calidesign
    hace 6 años

You can use shutters just on the bottom window, but it will block your beautiful view. Do you need something that closes completely or is it just decorative? I would use a long rod across the bottom window with drapes on the ends, which will allow the most light into the room. If you need total privacy or sun control, add an inside mounted shade. Beautiful light fixture!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 6 años

Why do you need ANYTHING? Who is peeking in? Deer?

I'd do something other than shutters if privacy is the goal. Something that can totally disappear when not needed. Hunter Douglas Silhouettes perhaps.

• shirlpp
    hace 6 años

If this is the only set of windows in the room, you'd need to take the entire wall into consideration for window treatments. Just putting something on the bottom will look unfinished.....otherwise, I agree with Jan Moyer.

• laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    The house is a new build and open concept. I will try and post more photos below. The view is nice and we want to maximize light but it's not totally private (there are homes behind that row of trees) so we need window coverings for privacy especially in the winter when the leaves fall off. The back of the house is north facing so not much light until end of day. I considered silhouettes too but have two young children and worry about them getting them dirty. Could I mix shutters with silhouettes or shades? Was thinking maybe of doing shutters throughout but silhouettes only on these two windows. The front of the house has an off centred window and dining room faces the blue siding of another home.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 6 años

I would recommend simple floor to ceiling panels on traverse rods

• laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Another view - family room is open to kitchen and direct view from front hallway.
  • laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I love drapes but worry about the dust and kids getting them dirty.
  • PRO
    Sharon Hocking INTERIOR DESIGN
    hace 6 años

Why do you want shutters in the kitchen? are you thinking of a colored shutter? because there is already a lot of white wood in there. Is there a house right out your kitchen windows?

• laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Shutters to block blue siding from neighbour and because they're easy to clean.
  • beseaside
    hace 6 años
    Silhouettes for that window will cost a fortune. We had a similar situation and used woven wood Roman shades of both the uppers and lowers. We had a 3" ring attached to the upper cords and could reach with a ladder and one of those hooks for closets whenever we wanted to raise or lower.
  • laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Those are gorgeous! Do they make them in motorized versions?
  • beseaside
    hace 6 años

Yes, I believe they do. We ordered our shades locally as we wanted them installed, but we have ordered on line. Find a local place like budget blinds. The biggest challenge will be having available power for the motor, but that can be handled. Before we installed the blinds we had beautiful drapes that flanked the windows, dropped from a 3" diameter rod installed above the top windows. They were really lovely, but too formal. In our current condo, we have a 12' wide window, 102" tall with Luminettes (a version of silhouettes that pull like a drape) with a motor - they cost $$$$. They are really lovely and were the best solution. Good luck!

• laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    One thinks I'm debating is mixing up window treatments like shutters in the front rooms and kitchen but silhouettes or shades like woven roller blinds in the family room. Would those work together or should they all be the same?
  • laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I should also clarify we are thinking of 4.5 Louvre clear view shutters by Eclipse. My understanding is they let lots of light in.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 6 años

If you decide for the blinds, here is great discussion started by kjoy1 about shades. It is very helpful.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/woven-wood-blinds-dsvw-vd~4633386?n=87

• laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

is there a type of window treatment that would coordinate well with shutters if we did shutters throughout but something else (e.g. silhouettes, drapes, or shades) on these windows?

• laims
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    At this point I'm considering pirouettes, silhouettes OR solar shades to coordinate with the shutters in the kitchen. Any advice re. what would look best?
  • shawn c
    hace 2 años

Iams, what did you even go with? Do you have pictures?

• felizlady
    hace 2 años

I realize that you will have finished this area already, but others often have the same issue.
    With that view, I would not select anything too heavy. You may only need semi-sheers behind drapes which can be closed for sun control if the window gets direct sunlight. If the sun never hits the window, you may be able to use only full-length semi-sheers and a pair of full-length drapery panels to frame the window and view. The window seems to be high enough that you may not need to consider privacy unless there is another home that we can’t see off to either side which has windows facing your house. I wouldn’t use shutters because they darken a room when closed.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.