Houzz Logo Print
susileh

Kitchen matte or gloss? Please help!

susileh
hace 6 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

I've got 3 questions...

Our kitchen is in a big, open plan area with lots of natural light. The color palette throughout the house is generally white, black, gray and wood. We've got blackbutt floorboards with a matte, nearly unfinished looking sealant and a low, concrete shelf under a black fireplace. All our kitchen joinery will be white except for a row of upper cabinets and a bookshelf built into the island, both of which will be birch ply. The kitchen and island benchtops will be a near white caesarstone that's pretty low sheen and our splashback will be glossy white subway tiles.

We'd been planning to do the rest of the cupboard doors and drawers (there are a lot of them) in a matte white 2pack, which seemed more interesting and new, but now I wonder would gloss would be better? I'd hate to overdo the matte finishes and make this incredible bright room lose some of it's light. (Before anyone suggests satin, I'm not a fan -- it feels like it hasn't made up its mind about being flat or shiny).

For the sake of simplicity, can we use the same "Vivid White" that's on the walls or is that a no-no?

Also, our architect suggested charcoal kickboard but it seems like adding another color unnecessarily. Any reason we shouldn't just do black?

Thanks houzzers!

Comentarios (4)

• User
    hace 6 años

1. No. Sorry- going to say satin. Easier to clean. Gloss is dated now imho.

2. Yes - perfect

3. Either is fine- do what you love. I doubt anyone will ever look at the kick and ponder why you chose black over charcoal.

susileh agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Caesarstone Australia
    hace 6 años

Hi susileh,

It's important to understand there are a lot of variety of sheen levels available from left to right (no sheen to most sheen):

Flat or Matt, Eggshell, Satin, Soft-Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Gloss, Super Gloss etc.

For something that will seem a little fresher and new, we recommend going with Cabinetry which is between Eggshell & Satin.

For some reference, please take a look at the following image on our Caesarstone Fresh Concrete page - http://www.caesarstone.com.au/colour/4001-fresh-concrete#?photo=77535d96-fa95-45ad-ae43-67255b056757

This image contains a light timber flooring, Caesarstone Fresh Concrete, Satin Cabinetry, Timber accents, Gloss Splashback, Black Fixtures and appliances.

We hope this helps!

Best,
    Caesarstone Australia

susileh agradeció a Caesarstone Australia
  • susileh
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

@Mel N -- Good advice but the first time someone asks me why I didn't go charcoal I'm going to blame you!

@Caesarstone Australia -- good example photo, we're using Fresh Concrete on all our benches! If I had to explain that level of sheen, what percentage gloss should I say?

• User
    hace 6 años

Haha! ;-)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.