Houzz Logo Print
edwinajarrad

Plantation shutters?

edwinajarrad
hace 6 años
Does anyone have photoshop to show what these two windows would look like with plantation shutters? And any advice? We never open the windows as have large bifold doors so that's not a problem...

Thank you!

Comentarios (12)

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

Sorry l don't, but l was thinking that since you window opens laterally you may want to avoid anything that opens from the middle. Those windows are calling out for Roman blinds.

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

Found a pic which may help you

• edwinajarrad
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thanks for both comments tezz4...we were looking at roman blinds but just prefer the look of shutters..we have t opened the windows in the year we've lived here so don't mind having it so they don't open, just want a nice homely feel and to keep the glaring sun out of eyes while eating! Photos really helpful though thank you...
  • edwinajarrad
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Tezz4-actually are roman blinds the Ones where you have to fiddle with string on the side and pull/push left and right until you get it in place, I can't work them! But they're prettier than roller blinds which is what we were looking at...
  • PRO
    User
    hace 6 años

I agree with the blinds, the room just isn't right for shutters. I think they are best in period rooms.

However, if you were to change the furnishings around them they could look lovely. I think you'd end up needing to change a lot of things to make the shutters work, otherwise they'll look out of place.

• tezz4
    hace 6 años

Yes. Roman are the ones you must pull up and down with strings etc. Some are less fiddly than others especially those with metal mechanisms as plastic ones break. But they are really stylish and look good with most decor types. And you could leave the pulled two thirds up and still have windowsill ornaments. There are some really nice cane ones woven with threads to match the colour scheme.

Alternatively rollers can look nice too if you choose well. If light is an issue choose blackout ones with sidetracks.

I'm afraid that with shutters you may find that you are dodging hitting your head when using the sofa as they swing out a fair bit, unless you strap them back securely when open.

• PRO
    Hillarys
    hace 6 años

Hi Edwina,

I tend to agree with lots of the suggestions for blinds, and Romans would look really lovely. You could fit them outside of the recess if you wished so you wouldn't lose much light.

As for the complicated twiddling you've been doing - choose a chain instead. They're available in lots of different shades now and are dead easy to operate.

Good luck with your search,

Zoe

• Chris Goodchild
    hace 6 años

From a practical point of view any type of louvre is awful to clean and even worse to prepare and paint. I have cursed a fair few in my time as a painter and dislike making them as a carpenter, even with the modern pre-fabbed stiles and slats.

Roman blinds are much better.

• PRO
    Heat Architecture London
    hace 6 años

Whatever the question is the answer is never plantation shutters. They are a nightmare. Maybe go for natural cedar slatted venetian blinds? I used them here:

• PRO
    Anna Auzins Interiors Ltd.
    hace 6 años

I AM generally a fan of shutters, but in this case I agree with the others that they aren't the right solution for this room. I also use wooden venetian blinds, which could work, but in this case I, too, think that Roman blinds are the best solution. These days they have to have a mechanism and chain to meet safety regulations, and could be put outside the recess so that you don't lose light, and you then could easily open the windows if you should ever want to.

Good luck!

• PRO
    SHADES INTERIORS
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

I supply plantation shutters and manufacture Roman blinds. I think they would both work well. Shutters do offer the better light control and privacy. If you had shutters, you can have them split into two sections. You can keep the bottom section closed to shield you from the sun whilst eating, but at the same time have the top section of louvred open the keep the room light . I have both in my own home , which is very contemporary. The wider louvres are very easy to clean and maintain and also allow more light to flow through when required. All Roman blinds have to pass the child safety regulations now , there are two really good chain systems and both are very easy to operate . The new quick release gear system offers a lot more flexibility for not much extra cost.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.