Houzz Logo Print
millekat1

Navy Blue Living Room Wall & Other Decor

millekat1
hace 7 años
I had to paint my wall navy blue (SW Naval) and now I have no idea what to do for wall decor. I bought a mirror which I do really like but I'm not convinced this is the right space for it.
The other colors in my house that flow with the navy are a teal and a lime green (in the kitchen, just on the bulkheads).

Please tell me your ideas for wall decor, lamps, and pillows. Have two young boys so it can't be to fancy - but I want it to look updated. Considering purchasing new end tables (one for each side of the couch) and a new tv stand in a darker wood, to match the furniture legs and tie in better with the wood floor.

My apologies in advance for the whole room shot with the kids watching Sponge Bob....it's Saturday morning! LOL

Comentarios (49)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I suggest that you paint the entire room blue. The gable end wall is too small to be an accent color…and now it is the accent because the blue wall is the bigger wall and now becomes the dominant color.

No to that mirror…too blah for a navy wall. I would put art over the sofa, instead.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

you also need a larger cabinet.

Atlra Buckner TV Stand - Cinnamon Cherry - TV Stands at Hayneedle · Más información

Surya Frontier Blue Midnight Geometric Area Rug | AllModern · Más información
    just such a match no?
    Woodland Imports Circle Top End Table | AllModern · Más información
    if that were your rug.
    Amazon.com: Gold Finish Metal Glass Chair Side End Table: Kitchen & Dining · Más información

Table Lamps, Desk Lamps and Bedside Lamps | Pier 1 Imports · Más información

Jillian Floor Lamp & Reviews | Joss & Main · Más información

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

pillows - love these, children normally do too.

Amazon.com: HomeChoice Cotton Linen Red Fox Lover Flying Kite 18 By 18 Inches(18 · Más información
    i can also do dark blue or a mix of the colors, got an opinion?

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks all. I'm regretting my painting choice and wonder if I should just start over with something neutral?

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Definitely know I need new furniture too with the cabinet!

• PRO
    Staging With Style NYC
    hace 7 años

I actually love that wall color. Yes, you need a bigger entertainment unit. I think with a brighter rug and accent pillows the room can come to life.

millekat1 agradeció a Staging With Style NYC
  • jdgail
    hace 7 años

Millekat1- It's a beautiful color and you have a neutral sofa so anything goes. The mirror is cute but adds nothing in the way of color or personality. None of the other pictures you posted have artwork in them either so it is difficult to suggest what you might like. Do you like florals, modern, have a hobby, like vintage.etc Create an idea book and go through the artwork so we have a better idea of what you like. From there, everyone can suggest other art, pillows, tables, lamps, rugs etc.

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'm just so bad at the details! I like florals but then I worry I'll have too much floral and then we live in Michigan so we get winter so I worry that will look silly. I'm clearly overthinking this.

Colors for pillows? I'd like to stick with turquoise, lime green....but then I'd like to pull one more color in there. What should that color be??

• jdgail
    hace 7 años

The orange that is in your pillows looks great but many colors will. It would be nice to see you fall in love with something to start with and build off of that. If this is your family room, then a little more contemporary and less floral would be more appropriate. Lots of fun vintage Michigan posters - add in some black and white and create a collage. Search through Houzz art and create an idea book to start. Everyone will help with the details.

• User
    hace 7 años
    Is your sofa and chaise staying what is the size of your family room
  • optimal viewz
    hace 7 años

Do you own the red sofa and chair reflected in the mirror? If so, here's a pillow that would like nice on both sofas.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años

I think the navy could work:) I also like the teal color that you have in your dining room...

millekat1 agradeció a kjoy1
  • Tems
    hace 7 años

I recommend you choose a light neutral for paint and do over the navy wall. The accent wall is not working. People often seem to first gravitate towards painting accent walls when there are better ways of introducing favorite colors, such as art and objects.

If you like navy color you could use a very large navy artwork over the sofa. It would not be very hard to diy. Something as simple as this is nice:

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

I like the blue but it is just on the wrong wall. It should be on the short wall with the TV and the TV needs to be lower and on a nice console. I would carry the blue to that wall and put some of the blue with touches of your bright greens in pillows. I wouldn't do a white entertainment unit because the room could start to look like a day care center. (it might be, but grown-ups live there too.) Art over the sofa of a large size would be best bet. Then find some large bean bag chairs for the boys. FatBoy makes great ones and they come in all colors. That could be a way to introduce your greens.

millekat1 agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Melange Sloan Console · Más información
    This is an interesting console and would help keep the room "grown-up" and you could pair it with a interesting couple of metal tables for the sofa, instead of a coffee table.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Gatsby Traditional Tables, 2-Piece Set · Más información
    Something like these that would "repeat" the design in the console. These would be very functional and attractive.
    Reflection Wall Decor · Más información
    Something like this for over the sofa.

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años
    Have you ever thought about facing your sofa towards the tv? Flo...could she have success with a different layout?
  • Bev
    hace 7 años

Here is a photo from an article I read earlier about paint colors for living rooms. Even though the blue is not navy, this should give you some inspiration as to what can be done in your living room:

I love the gold accents and they would be stunning with your navy blue paint!

Musical Living Room · Más información

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wow, so many wonderful ideas! I feel like I have a path to start on.

Thank you!!

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The tv facing the sofa...since we have two boys who run through there we want to keep that space open, I thought about moving the tv and facing the other direction with the couch to accomplish this, but the previous owners did a hack job on the wall behind the tv for when they had theirs mounted (to run the cables in the wall). Don't feel like making that effort yet to fix that yet...maybe when the kids are older and I have time!

Great suggestion though!

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    hace 7 años

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop on Etsy website -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooviArtGallery?ref=pr_shop_more

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

In response to the "layout" question, I have been wondering if there was a better layout but the room looks pretty narrow which is a significant issue. But if you give me the dimensions I might be able to come up with something. There are some possibilities. Just post the dimentions, length and width of the room, the length of your current sofa and depth, the width of the window and I'll do a scale layout for you taking your comments about the "wall damage" into consideration. Sometimes, playing with layouts on my little magnet board pays dividends. Be happy to try for you.

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    hace 7 años

Have you thought about a sunburst mirror or a nice collage of pictures over the sofa? The two images attached are from living room designs of ours.

Mabry Place · Más información

Riverland Court · Más información

millekat1 agradeció a VRA Interiors, LLC
  • millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi, the room dimensions are 17'10" x 12'. The the wall the couch is on is 13', because the space opens up. The window is 8'9".

The couch is 78" and the chair & a half is 50".

Sorry about the laundry being folded.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

I have played with several layouts and found this to be what I think is the best.

I have placed your sofa on the wall with the TV and put a sofa table behind it. A nice piece of art and a couple lamps on the sofa table would be lovely and I figured would "cover up" any opps on the wall from previous owners. The sofa table should be about 2/3 the length of the sofa (this one in the picture is 4" longer than yours, so yours will fit very well.) I put the TV on a 48" TV console on the 13' wall with two floor lamps flanking it. That console could be longer, depending on your wishes. That would depend on what the length of a new TV might be. I also added a "bench" in front of the sofa. This could be a "ottoman" type piece, but also could be slipped over in front of the windows to provide more seating when entertaining family and friends. The chair and a half stays on an angle, but I have pulled it out further from the corner and put a "chest" behind it in case you would like a place to "stow" toys or games, etc. I put a table on each end of the sofa to balance out the wall. I also put a small round table probably wood or metal for setting a cup of coffee, etc. I put a tall plant on the end of the short wall at the entry to provide a little more of a screen as you enter the space from the front door? Not sure if that is the front door, but it kind of feels that way from your photos. I tried several other arrangements, but this keeps your room open, deals with the damaged wall and gives the children a good open space to be in. The sofa end is kind of the "adult" end; and the chair and a half kind of the kids end. You could also add some bean bag type seating if desired. Enjoy!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

One more thing, I would also paint that wall behind the sofa the blue of the other wall. Since there isn't that much painting around the window, I would do that as well and make the whole room that color. You have plenty of light in the room and I think it is a great color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

If I get some time later tonight, I will try to do a little "mock up" for you to visualize how this would look as I have laid it out.

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

@Flo Mangan you are too kind!! Thank you!!

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I really do think I'll paint the whole room navy. I was worried it would be too dark but I think it will work, especially bringing in pops of color through pillows & accessories

• kjoy1
    hace 7 años
    Wow Flo...good job!
  • User
    hace 7 años

Layout 1 with TV at window

Layout 2 as is but with love seat pulled closer

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

millekat1 - here is my humble mock up of your room. I tried to paint the wall but couldn't get it quite dark enough but I think it gives you the concept at any rate. I couldn't paint the window wall without eliminating the drapes, so this is a good feeling for the concept. Enjoy!

mock ups · Más información
    Of course, art is very personal, but I selected a modern forest look with great colors. Then I used different shades of gray in the new TV console and the bench/ottoman. I used lamps that echo the same tones along with a sofa table with accessories in silver and mercury glass. I put a plant near the chair and a half, but it would go at the edge of the wall where that chair is currently tucked. I brought the chair more into the room. Enjoy!

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

bring in lots of metalwork in tables and lamps

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    hace 7 años

I am in Michigan too and I love your navy wall! In regards to florals, you can do it and no one will think it odd. I am also the mother of two boys and sometimes we need to bring a little feminine back into our lives! You can see in my profile pic I have a large floral I fell in love with over the mantel in my dining room! The rest of my house has darker colors but the dining room is my bright cheerful room. It is especially great in the winter!

• User
    hace 7 años

Layout option 1 switched around and mocked

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 7 años

Downtown Traditional High Rise · Más información

• PRO
    Live Good
    hace 7 años

We might have some options on decorative pillows if you are still considering!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Wondering if you have made any progress? Hope you are ok?

• User
    hace 6 años

Hi millekat1,

have you made any progress with your living room. Are you okay

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Hi! Believe it or not I’ve accomplished very little. Bought a new lamp & throw pillows. Considering navy curtains to help balance the room a bit versus painting it all navy. I really should just hire someone to do it for me!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 6 años

Sometimes we all get stuck, so not a problem. Now that the holidays are over, perhaps you will get that boost of energy you need to get your room improvements accomplished. Let us know if we can be of assistance. It will make you feel really good!!

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Thinking about this art work over the couch. Thoughts?
  • User
    hace 6 años

It’s beautiful conversational piece

• millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Finally!!!
  • millekat1
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I need a few more new throw pillows and end tables but happy with this outcome so far.
  • havingfun
    hace 6 años

if you can deal with glass end

End & Side Tables | Joss & Main · Más información
    gold glams up and gives abit more shine
    End & Side Tables You'll Love · Más información
    silve will blend in more
    Auxerre End Table | Wayfair · Más información
    other side.

replacement set of pillows. these are all sets, most allow you to buy individuals in the set. all my pillows are based on 18" x <$25

Amazon.com: Rabbit Throw Pillow Cover Sham Cushion Slipover ChezMax Cotton Linen · Más información
    silly bunnies

Amazon.com: Monkeysell Lotus Leaf Butterfly Flowers Pattern Cotton Linen Throw P · Más información

Amazon.com: 【Bailand】Set of 4 Modern Geometric Country Cushion cover,Sofa cushio · Más información

Amazon.com: Luxbon Set of 4 Pcs Vintage Style Peacock Print Cushion Cover Durabl · Más información

• havingfun
    hace 6 años

some hand made sets.

Amazon.com: CaliTime Cushion Cover Throw Pillow Case Shell, Famous Picture 18 X · Más información

Blue Floral Pillows | Joss & Main · Más información

Velvet Cushion Cover | Dark green | H&M HOME | H&M US · Más información
    Amazon.com: Oil Painting Hundreds of Birds Cotton Linen Throw Pillow Case Cushio · Más información

Damask Bird Pattern Throw Pillow Cover, 18", Blue Tones, Cotton · Más información

Rizzy Home Turquoise 18" x 18" Pillow Cover with Hidden Zipper · Más información

Decorative Linen Square Throw Pillow Japanese Style Cushion, 45x45 CM, A2 · Más información

Pillows and Throws - Pillows and Throw Collection | At Home Stores · Más información

Velvet Emerald Green Pillows Cover, Velvet Pillow Cover, Green Shimmer, 12"x12" · Más información
    it is difficult to be sure of the exact right color, here are some you can put together. let me know if you do not like any, i can toss and reduce length. checking to be sure all are valid.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.