Houzz Logo Print
lauren_bowne

Hardware & wood advice needed for windows.

Lauren
hace 7 años

We are replacing the original wooden double-hung windows in our 1930's farmhouse. My husband is reluctant because he really wants to keep the period look of our house, but I am sick of living with single paned, rotting windows, most of which do not even open. So I won.

We are choosing between the Marvin Integrity and the Milgard Essence. I'm leaning towards the Milgard because they do not upcharge for the Douglas Fir interior, which would match our floors (original vertical grain fir). We will be staining the wood on the inside (not painting.)

Our window guy is saying that he doesn't like the inserts that Milgard provides for replacement windows. Something about them being clunky and sticking out. Marvin does a better job on this in his opinion. BUT Marvin charges more than I want to pay for their Douglas Fir interiors.

One other consideration is that Milgard has a lifetime warranty and I don't think that is true of Marvin.

Question 1: Do I choose the better window (Marvin) with the pine or stick with the ok window with lifetime warranty (Milgard) to get the Doug Fir?

Question 2: Opinions on which hardware finish is the most original looking? I'm leaning toward oil rubbed bronze.

Thanks!

Comentario (1)

• PRO
    Window Works
    hace 7 años

Hi there,

Marvin Windows are by far the best option. Their weather-sealing is superb. Keep in mind their warranty applies only if you have the windows installed by a certified Marvin installer (many contractors hold this certification). Special training on installation is required because even the best window will fail if installed incorrectly.

Choose quality and go with Marvin, and make sure your installer is certified. Windows are too pricey to be replaced multiple times. If you want a very specific stain color, have a custom mix made. You won't regret spending the extra coin on this part of your home.

Good luck!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.