Houzz Logo Print
sandiereimer

I am so lost!!!!!

Sandie Reimer
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

We have been using our basement couches from our last home in our living room since we moved into our new house. We had planned on getting two new couches, we could not decide on the styles of the sofas. Then today I moved a few things around and am more confused than ever. Should we buy two chairs instead of another sofa to put by the windows? We are willing to do whatever will work.......

Comentarios (37)

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Sorry.......Somehow the pictures did not go through!
  • optimal viewz
    hace 7 años

Since you have a tv in the room, I suggest one sofa and two chairs. A 3 seat sofa so the middle individual doesn't have to sit on the crack. I prefer a tight back because it always looks neat, and eliminates the saggy look down the road, and the fluffing/plumping habit. Two comfortable arm chairs that swivel create more options for both tv viewing and conversation.

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you optimal viewz, that was really quite helpful!
  • Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    CJ, thank you, you have no idea how much I appreciate you saying that!!!!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

I agree add two comfy chairs with a sofa..you can still put a small accent chair on the Right if the fireplace..beautiful Home!!

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

I'll be the naysayer here. It looks like you already have three chairs in the room. I'd go with two sofas like you have now.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

I guess I am assuming that the chairs in the space will be removed with the temporary sofas?.....

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Small brown chairs will definitely be removed because I feel they are too small?!?!?! Large chair can stay or go.......
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    I would switch the love seat and the sofa. I feels like the end tables for the sofa are too small scale for the sofa. Taller end tables would improve the balance. Two swivel chairs would add seating if you have room either side of the TV. I like to mix styles but the traditional style of the sofas and your other pieces are not quite clicking together. If you replace the sofas, with one sofa and two chairs in a more "transitional" look things could work better. You are close so don't give up. It is a nice space. Good luck!
  • Amber Lynn
    hace 7 años

I just want to say I love the green lamps. Very cool. The green walls are nice too. Don't see these colors much but it works well in the room.

• gustaviatex
    hace 7 años

Lovely rooms. And not a spec of gray :-)

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks for comments everyone! Flo, attached are more pics to get a better idea of the furniture we have. Part of my problem is what style DO I have? I have to basically work off the kitchen and sunroom since it is totally open. I totally agree that the end tables and trunk are way too small, those need to be replaced. The two brown chairs I just removed flanked the fireplace. I liked the balanced look they gave, but then it limits what goes in front of the windows. The room is so big, I hate to place the furniture out further.... I would like to bring everything "closer" together to try to make it feel cozier.
  • Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Forgot to mention.......with everything so open, there are three kitchen bar stools and all the chairs in the sunroom. If we do two chairs and a couch, rather than two couches is there just too many darn chairs?!?!?!?!?
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I agree with those who say this is a cool space. Those windows, alone, would be enough for me to sit and have a Zen moment.

I know what it's like, though, to want to refurnish. If I may suggest? Edit first. Do yourself a favor- take the clock down from over the mantle. It's a bit-busy. Take the other suggestions, within lighting. All of this will help you as you consider furnishing.

Furniture- the yellow sofa looks like comfort, to me- is it? In the style of your home, I'd keep it. SO WHAT if it came from the basement. :) I've had a leather sectional that made it's way from a huge game room to a ridiculously open concept home to a small apartment- broken up, but still worked.

We named it "The Beast". But darned if it didn't work for us, everywhere, until we were really ready for re-design.

In my opinion, you aren't lost as much as you are searching. Again- some small changes can give you some respite, while you contemplate the rest.

BTW- swivel chairs can be such fun. Shoot- I have two in my main living room- fairly inexpensive, definitely not "forever pieces". But they're perfect for the space, totally comfy.

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks, Juanita.....That is a mirror above the fireplace!
  • User
    hace 7 años

Sorry about that. I'm posting without my readers....

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Juanita.....love "The Beast". We would consider keeping the yellow furniture if it was in better shape. It is really beat.....may not show in pictures.
  • User
    hace 7 años

No worries, while you really contemplate design/decor. Sounds stupid, but the yellow sofas are like old dogs- keep them, until their useful life has passed by.

Beat furniture- it's an old friend, as you consider what to do next. Calm, calm. Look at the architecture in your home. Wonderful. Design to that, and love your "loved in" beat up furniture, until you're ready.

BTW- "The Beast" was donated to a sub contractor who did great things in my new build. He and his family lost everything, in a flood. His wife was beside herself. Gave him "The Beast", and it totally worked for them. She cried- literally - from happiness.

LOVE that The Beast has taken two families in hand.

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Juanita, thanks for sharing that! I agree, we do love it and all the great years we have enjoyed them!
  • er612
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

....your style is Transitional ...you like traditional but with a touch of modern! Does your tv have to stay on that side wall? I would have a cabinet built in next to fireplace to house the tv...you have the perfect space for it..this would give you the option of bringing the furniture closer...maybe even 2 sofa with large coffee table like the photo below...

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Hi er612..... thank you so much!!!! That does help put things in prospective! The current area rug is a 9x12, we really need a 10x 13/14. I think that will help.
  • Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    er612, I am getting the impression you don't like the pictures separated....ha! We have moved them around more time than I can tell you and still they have seemed off to me. You don't think all of them on the same side seems unbalanced? I find your idea rather refreshing.
  • Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    H.I. w/ ease, that tv is 75", my husband would have a fit! The wall to the right of the fireplace is 8' 5". I think seating to watch tv would be difficult with it there and it would be huge for that wall. I would love to soften the look of the tv somehow......
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Wow that is a big one!!

The cabinet under it is to small...maybe a long lower sleek cabinets would be better...with the TV on that far wall the only option is a how you have it layed out...2 sofas or sofa with 2 chairs..I would do a upholstered square coffee table in front of the sofa it will fill the space and give it a cozy feel...I really think once you get larger tables with a square upholstered ottoman it will give it an entirely new cozy look you desire!

• PRO
    Linda Bartels @ Closet Factory (Denver Metro)
    hace 7 años

I would do the two swivel chairs and a sofa. Adding built-ins to house the tv is always a good idea, imo.

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I do realize I made a mistake buying that small console for under the tv. We bought it from Arhaus and I hate to spend money on a new one. However, I think I probably need to suck it up and do just that. Because that tv is so large we would need a custom made unit and I cannot even imagine what that would cost.----No one thinks too many chairs (if we go with couch and two chairs) with the three bar stools and six chairs plus a bench in the sun room? Am I over thinking yet again? Ha!
  • er612
    hace 7 años

Ha. Was it that obvious? JK I'm generally not crazy about staggered frames. Did you try stacking them on either side?

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    We did.....They look too "staged" the way they presently are, does that make sense? The problem is they are pretty big, when they are on top of each other they need to go pretty low. They are 30" square, we have 10' ceilings.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    hace 7 años
    I don't think that is too many chairs. I imagine if you have company that would be useful.
  • er612
    hace 7 años

I wouldn't worry about the pictures being too low. I like the pics framing the fireplace...

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Er612, thanks again, love the pic!!!!
  • Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks, Rachel, you are right about the company!!!!
  • groveraxle
    hace 7 años

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

I think a English arm sofa in a light tweed would look great..

add 2 brown leather swivel chairs...

• Sandie Reimer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Groveraxle and H.I.w/e, love all the pictures! Thank you! Interesting you both picked brown leather. I'm always thinking I need to "lighten" up the space because of the floors and dark cabinets. When looking for sofas so many people have told us the "arms" are everything as far as comfort and that they have regretted buying the couch they did. I love the look of both of those couches!!!! The one has very high arms and I believe the English roll arm is low. Both me and my husband are big arm leaners. Is there a happy medium? That is really the reason we keep hesitating on buying (plus, do not want a deep couch). Thanks, again!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.