Houzz Logo Print
mildred_yi

Urgently need help choosing color for island, fireplace and built ins

M Y
hace 7 años

Hi! I need to place my order for cabinets in the next day or two and the last step is to choose colors. The kitchen perimeter cabinets will be white, with gray countertops and large white subway tile backsplash. Undecided if the island cabinets should be white (safe choice) or black. Our hardwood floors are a very dark color, and the island will be next to a dark brown dining table. Is it better to go with a white island and mix it up with dark bar stools? Worried the black island would be too much with the dark hardwood flooring and dining set.

Also have to choose colors for the built ins for the nook and family room, as well as the color for the new fireplace surround (quartz or porcelain). The walls will be a light, cool gray with white trim.

Was thinking black for the built-ins and maybe white or marble pattern for the fireplace surround? Worried the black will be too bold or jarring, but this cabinet line does not offer a charcoal gray (my preferred choice)

The nook built- in consists of floating shelves that will match the chunky bookshelves in the family room. In the floor plan, the nook built-in is under the encircled "A". Our large TV will be wall mounted between the nook and fireplace, over a dark credenza to hold the components - which is why I was leaning towards black for the nook and family room shelving.

Thank you for your input!

Comentarios (5)

• jck910
    hace 7 años

white island, dark charcoal top

M Y agradeció a jck910
  • PRO
    auburn gallery/epic interiors
    hace 7 años
    What are the colours of your accessories? If it is open to living area, why not pick a colour from that palette and make it a feature? However if you stay safe with white , it is a relatively easy fix later when you are bored of it.
    M Y agradeció a auburn gallery/epic interiors
  • M Y
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

We don't have many accessories or decorative touches. Chocolate leather couch, travertine coffee table - nothing was bought to last however, because of our young children. The built in cabinets are part of the entire cabinet order, which is why I need to decide on all of the colors together.

So a white Island and black built- ins along 2 of the walls flanking a white stone fireplace would be ok? Or should the island be black to tie everything together?

• qam999
    hace 7 años

I'd take you elevation drawings (views of the walls) and color them in, on a computer if possible, with your various choices. Even a complete hand sketch would be fine. It will help you see the effect of breaking up the different colors.

Rule of thumb: Every room should have about 10% of visual area as A-players or stars - these are your focal points, such as fancy chandelier, beautiful credenza with art, stunning mosaic backsplash, etc. They have high contrast, stunning finishes, dramatic lighting, other eye catchers. Then 25-30% B-players or supporting artists - an attractive piece of wood furniture, say. Then 60-65% C-players or the chorus line. They fade into the background to allow the Bs and especially the As to shine.

Black against white is high contrast. Wherever you use that, you're forcing some attention there. make sure it's the place and item that you really want attention on. In your (very nicely laid out) kitchen, I'd expect the range & hood area to get the most focus. The one thing I don't understand is why it was not centered with the overall kitchen and island. I would move it to be centered (if it's not too late) and then make it the A-player in the kitchen.

Good luck!

M Y agradeció a qam999
  • PRO
    auburn gallery/epic interiors
    hace 7 años
    You just received some great advise from qam999. This was my point in painting it a feature colour, give it some personality. blue grays or French blues look terrific with dark browns if you are considering that route. I think your cabinet installers should be able to do this for you , you will have to negotiate weather there may be an up charge or not , but I do believe it would be worth it.
    M Y agradeció a auburn gallery/epic interiors
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.