Houzz Logo Print
beverly_read69

Blue ceiling - a mistake or not?

Beverly Read
hace 7 años

I have just repainted my living room walls in F&B Blackened and the ceiling in Little Green "Moon Shadow" and I am now feeling slightly terrified! I love both colours separately but now not sure they work together all that well and I'm worried that the painted ceiling looks a bit student house.

I also need to deal with the fireplace as this jars with it and I'm stumped about what to do in terms of painting over the black and potentially hiding the tiles.

I was going to accessorise the room with the burnished colours from the lovely painting I have but I don't want to move ahead if it's non-starter. Am very close to chickening out and putting ceiling back to neutral as it's easier to work with and I don't want to waste time and money if it doesn't work.

Any tips would be great as I'm really not sure!

Many thanks in advance :)

Comentarios (25)

• Daisy England
    hace 7 años
    Not for me.
    Beverly Read agradeció a Daisy England
  • User
    hace 7 años

I would do a swap....dark ceilings are very oppressive.

Beverly Read agradeció a User
  • A B
    hace 7 años
    It is beautiful but I know what you mean about student ceiling. I think it's the shade of blue for me.
    Beverly Read agradeció a A B
  • kikiamack
    hace 7 años
    I agree that the shade of blue is not right for a ceiling, it's coming through as quite bright on my screen, whereas I think these schemes are more successful where you "embrace the darkness". Another idea to use a dark shade in the room would be to paint behind the shelves as the dark colour would be broken up a bit by ornaments and books etc.
    Beverly Read agradeció a kikiamack
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    hace 7 años
    The ceiling is fab and all your colours work well so well done. You need to get your soft furnishings in and lighting sorted to see the whole scheme come together. Get the shelves filled and some depth in layers of furnishings.. you will soon realise you have done a fab job!!!
    Beverly Read agradeció a Create Perfect
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    hace 7 años
    Meant to say ...you do need to hide or change the tiles. Depending on budget the cheapest and easiest way is probably a good tile paint. It can do done very well if you take your time and do several layers.
    Beverly Read agradeció a Create Perfect
  • Rob
    hace 7 años
    I like it! I think if you use the burnished red from the painting together with the green from the tiles it would all work really well. I would accessorise it all first, live with it and see. Worst case scenario and you still don't like it you can paint the ceiling a different colour
    Beverly Read agradeció a Rob
  • wendy Anderson
    hace 7 años
    I'm a fan! I think stick with your vision. The blue won't be so stark once other colours and furnishings are in the room.
    Beverly Read agradeció a wendy Anderson
  • Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    I also like it - it think the colour needs to be referenced more in the room than just the painting and I feel that a large rug that includes this colour will go a long way to balancing it out.
    Beverly Read agradeció a Jonathan
  • PRO
    Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
    hace 7 años

I think it's lovey so you need to tie the colour in with cushions lamps etc. Personally I couldn't live with the dark colour but I would suggest it for a client

Beverly Read agradeció a Pamela Langbridge Curtains and Upholstery
  • sksj1
    hace 7 años
    It look fantastic - different is good! It does bring the ceiling down but that will be cosy in a living room. Go for it!
    Beverly Read agradeció a sksj1
  • PRO
    Maaps Design & Architecture
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Beverly,
    Looks fab. Check out our new project with a dark midnight blue ceiling. Looks taller, adds drama, defines an area, and provides a calm weight to the room. We also enjoy that the evening experience of the space becomes expansive - almost open to the stars. Go on with strong solutions.

Hackney Listed building refurbishment · Más información
    Hackney Listed building refurbishment · Más información

Beverly Read agradeció a Maaps Design & Architecture
  • minnie101
    hace 7 años

Hi Beverly. The paint colours work together imo and I wouldn't touch the fire. The only bit I'm not sure of (but just in one photo) is the underneath of the top step. I might try (just using painted paper stuck up) is to do the top step in blackened and then alternatively try the lower one in the blue. I'd go to a shop that has an easy refund process and just pick up a thin rug which is easy to carry and lots of cushions in different colours, without worrying too much about the style at this stage and try them out. I like the blues and greens with the hint of mustard/gold (plus some plants!) but you could also add hints of coral which would work

Beverly Read agradeció a minnie101
  • Carolina
    hace 7 años
    I really like the blue ceiling. It's a brave move, but it looks great. And it makes your house your home. Gives it personality. I don't dislike the tiles with the blue. Not everything has to match. And as Minnie said, if you add a plant for example, you'll tie the green in with the rest of the room.
    Beverly Read agradeció a Carolina
  • Carolina
    hace 7 años
    Are you changing the lampshade? I think that something that's visually lighter will look much better. Or at least a shade that has a different colour.
    Beverly Read agradeció a Carolina
  • Beverly Read
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Yes changing the lampshade! Maybe something in copper (that way if I do still chicken out it will still look great!). Thank you for your feedback :)

• Patrina
    hace 7 años
    It's a brave choice and breaks the boring white we are so used to. I agree with the comment about the lamp. Also I can't tell room height from the pic so may have somr concern about it feeling oppressive. however fab idea I love it. you could perhaps try a light fixing like the one I've attached it will give off some interesting patterns against the blue
  • Joanna C
    hace 7 años
    I like the idea of having a blue ceiling. However, I'd probably go for something more subdued and use punchier colours on smaller surfaces.
    Beverly Read agradeció a Joanna C
  • Jules Mc
    hace 7 años

Love ceiling colour. Minnie's colour choices show how tiles will work with your artwork. I'd choose mcm lighting rather than glass or chandelier style but obv personal choice.

Beverly Read agradeció a Jules Mc
  • Jules Mc
    hace 7 años

Beverly Read agradeció a Jules Mc
  • S L
    hace 7 años

I like it

Beverly Read agradeció a S L
  • Rachel Oakes
    hace 7 años

I like it; I did the coving between the picture rail and ceiling in mustard yellow. Everyone thought I was mad when I suggested it but it looks good

• carocat24
    hace 7 años
    Please don't paint over those lovely tiles!
    Beverly Read agradeció a carocat24
  • rachelmidlands
    hace 7 años
    Hi, I love that you've made a brave colour choice for the ceiling, looks fab. When you've got all your furnishings and accessories in it should pull the whole scheme together. Personally I'd be tempted to bring in more blue by painting behind the shelves in the alcoves, just think the colour will show off any objects better. And I agree with the previous comment, don't paint the fireplace. I actually like the black, it helps to ground the space. If you don't want to stick with the green tiles you could make some simple panels that just slot over the top of the existing ones. Some tiles on plywood for example, in burnt orange/ copper colours to match your painting.
    Beverly Read agradeció a rachelmidlands
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.