Houzz Logo Print
dtritsch

Need help with landscaping for a 60's ranch!

Debbie Tritsch
hace 11 años
I would love some feedback as to what kind of landscaping we should put in front of our house. We live in the midwest and last fall my husband ripped out the old bushes which were similar to the bushes on the left, but were much taller. They were original to the house and were pretty much dead. I love clean simple lines. Paint color help would be great too. I would also like to rip out the bushes which are still there.

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Blacksmithray
    hace 11 años
    Metal garden art would look excellent rust and coloured ......I live in Australia and have done work on a house very similar to yours
  • PRO
    Blacksmithray
    hace 11 años
    can u post photos more detail wider angle
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Yes -rip, rip, rip. Start by removing the green cubes ( shrubs ) from the front . Is that brick and if so what color is it ? Hard to tell. Need to see the house centered in the photo so go further out and make another shot . Your house could be a stunning contemporary statement - it has nice clean lines. What do you want in a landscape ? Low maintenance, no lawn, etc. Where are you located int he Midwest ?
  • Debbie Tritsch
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I will upload more photos. We are in a nw suburb of Chicago. I know we have a lot of work to do. It is brick with siding under the windows for some reason. We were trying to blend brick and paint, but maybe we should make it contrast more. We have a huge front yard with a pond so no grass is not an option and wouldn't want that anyway.
  • Debbie Tritsch
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Few more
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Wow you certainly have a lot of frontage. is the pond in your frontyard as well ? I lived in Chicago for 45 years but worked mainly in the city. As to the siding beneath the windows I wonder if you could call a brick mason and ask them if removing that and adding brick matching the existing could be applied. I'd then paint all the white trim to a taupe , sage or chocolate brown . I see two skinny square columns which I would beef up. Do you use your front yard for anything except coming and going or do you just want curb appeal ? If you just want curb appeal you could create flower beds in front and make a path from the entrance to the most travelled destination. I would keep the plantings contemporary in keeping with the architecture of your home -ornamental grasses, perennials, low evergreens and blooming shrubs.
  • Debbie Tritsch
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Our property ends at that tree by the pond. Since we have such large overhangs we would also like to extend the front porch. Not sure if we should keep it cement or some sort of stone or even an engineered wood?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I think that's a great idea dtritsch. I did notice the large overhangs. Perhaps something contemporary like this but in a chocolate brown color :
    Wild Basin exterior · Más información
    Here's another view of it :
    Wild Basin porch · Más información
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Its difficult to get a complete picture of your property and I'm just making an assumption that it's similar to the one in my doodle below. Since you've indicated you'd like to keep a large lawn, flower beds near the house filled with low growing evergreens, blooming shrubs, ornamental grasses and perennials and mulched with pebbles or shredded pine bark would look nice. Ornamental blooming trees of various sizes would give an added dimension. A path of stepping stones to a popular destination - the pond or curb for instance.
  • Debbie Tritsch
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I somehow couldn't find this post and just got a new phone and it popped up. Thank you for your drawings. Still haven't done anything. Three kids on five sports teams. Not a lot t of time. We are going to do the kitchen this summer.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.