Houzz Logo Print
nojosgirl

Need help with fireplace surround

Jill Nelson
hace 7 años
Hi! We're in the process of buying a house and I'm trying to come up with a plan for the fireplace. As you can see in the picture, it's just a gas insert with absolutely no surround. I'd love to cover the alcove/opening with shiplap, and do a pretty tile surround. Can I then just put a nice mantel shelf with nice trim on the shiplap and tile, or do I need a full mantel surround as well? Thanks for your help!

Comentarios (11)

• Jill Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Also- we plan on putting two sofas in the room facing one another with arm chairs at the ends, not by the fireplace. Much less heavy furniture.

I also love this fireplace, but I also like the idea of just a shelf for the mantel. Just can't visualize if that would work with the fireplace we have.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

You might check out some of Joanna Gaines' fireplace renos at www.magnoliamarket.com. She is big on shiplap and should have some inspiration for you.

• Jill Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks decoenthusiaste! I do love her style!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

No white shiplap unless the style of your home supports that farmhouse like style decision. We can't tell from this photo. You could simply drywall the niche.

Maybe consider a more contemporary approach to the shiplap in the event your home is of a contemporary style.

• Jill Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks for the respond BeverlyFLADeziner! I'd say the house lends itself to farmhouse well- I'm attaching a listing picture of the exterior, and looking into the kitchen from the living room. We'll be remodeling the kitchen right away as it has almost no prep space and I spend a lot of time cooking/baking. We'll be utilizing the nook space as part of the kitchen, and cabinets will end up white, shaker style.

I'd say my style is fairly classic with a farmhouse twist. And I've liked that look ping before fixer upper came around ;)

I'm struggling most with what to do under the mantel since the fireplace is just flush with everything else. But your inspiration photo with using more of the wall than just what directly surrounds the fireplace is helpful.
  • PRO
    The Fire Place
    hace 7 años

Jill, to answer your question "Can I then just put a nice Mantel shelf....", yes! Please check out the fireplace to be SURE that you will be happy with it, gas fireplaces can be changed out easily during a remodel -after you have new facing, etc. it will be more expensive.

Then, find a mantel shelf or mantel surround and the facing to match your style. Here are a couple ideas:

or,

Hope this helps your ideas flow.....

• Jill Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    I didn't mean to take so long updating this, but we finished our fireplace surround and I love how it turned out. The tv is on a mount that allows it to tilt out, and we have an opening behind the tv with a shelf in the cubby to hold the cable box. I love having it hidden!
    Now we've moved onto the kitchen since when you turn around it was like entering another era!
  • Jill Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Also, we've since added more decor. Working on making the picture frame arrangement what I want it to be
  • Rebecca
    hace 6 años

@Jill Nelson, are those individual planks around your fireplace or a panelling?

• Jill Nelson
    Autor original
    hace 6 años
    Rebecca, they're individual planks. We followed tutorials for how to look like shiplap. Those are 1x6 boards that we used pennies for spacers between. This summer we added shiplap to a wall in our kitchen and found actual shiplap boards at Home Depot. They're mdf, not wood, but have the right size tongue and groove to make the perfect shiplap spacing. Plus it was heaped because they came in longer boards. We were amazed by how fast it installed- we spent more time shopping than installing. We just cut the boards to length, put liquid nails on the back, then nailed them with the nail gun. Online it said our store didn't carry shiplap boards, but we found them in store anyways!
    The first picture is when we finished it. Second picture doesn't show it completely but you can see how it looks in the space
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.