Houzz Logo Print
aliceinwunderland

Advice on Kitchen/Utility renovation

aliceinwunderland
hace 7 años

Hi there, we are about to undertake a fairly significant house renovation the main purpose is to upgrade and extend the Granny flat adjoining our house for my mum to move in. Because the design required a new roof for the entire house we have decided to renovate/upgrade the kitchen at the same time seeing as we will have to move out of the house for a few months anyway and we'd prefer never to have to do that again in the future. Here is the existing kitchen utility layout:

We have three very young children and cook all meals from scratch and enjoy cooking. The kitchen is south facing and there is a beautiful view out the back and the back opens onto the back garden where the children like to play. The issues with the existing kitchen that we'd like to remedy are:

- lack of storage space

-very poor flow, fridge far away and doesn't fit well. People regularly walking behind or on front of you while cooking to access the toilet/utility/back garden.

-view of back is broken up by layout and size of existing glazing at back

-too many doors.

- utility while ample size has a lot of unused space and boasts the best view of the back which seems wasted in a utility.

Here is our proposed new design:

On the wish list is :

To fit fridge and freezer both tall in kitchen

range cooker and eye level oven with microwave above

extra storage (pull out presses maybe dresser and /or pantry)

functional space with good flow.

I'm not sure about island and table as drawn as I was wondering a banquet style island with built in seating one side and table beside the seating.

there are two final things I'd love to fit in if possible are a couch (had one in my family home kitchen and loved it) and a small area/desk/nook for laptop and printer.

i think it's probably wishful thinking to be trying to squeeze these into the space also but I would be so interested in your thoughts. We will speak to kitchen designer but I just want to get a few ideas in my head first. Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Comentarios (3)

• aliceinwunderland
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I've never posted on Houzz before always looking at advice and discussions but never posted as I don't think I'm very good at design but would like to learn by seeing how others do it. I see my post is grey not green does anyone know why that is? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

• PRO
    Komandor Storage Solutions
    hace 7 años

Hi,

Where are you based?

What we always find a good idea is putting sliding doors in utility rooms, that way everything is hidden and you have more room as the doors will not be front opening. Sliding doors are a perfect solution to divide rooms also. An example below; Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Surreal Designs Kitchen Studio
    hace 7 años

Hi - its such a big and important project, i really think you need to sit down with a good kitchen designer and fully tease out your requirements and then look at every possible layout option. by sitting down with someone, they will draw each possible layout to scale in front of you and that way you will be able to see the pros and cons of each design. it makes decision making much easier

best of luck with the project

Barry

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.