Houzz Logo Print
ljfilippone

Wall faces my dining room, will this look odd??

Linda
hace 7 años

We are in the process of finalizing our floor plan for our new home. It is a custom modular home. My question is...There is a wall in between the foyer & living room, it's suppose to be a 7' archway. When in the dining room, it appears to be facing exactly where the table will be (in center of room) will this look odd??? Is it possible to maybe connect the wall from living/kitchen to foyer with another archway?? Maybe use decorative moldings?? I am not a designer and cannot visualize how it will look. I appreciate your input~

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    hace 7 años

I live in a small house and the one thing I hate is that when you open our front door you can see into the rest of the house. I am only speaking from my own experience but i would not angle the opening into the dining room. It would be better if you had the opening on the left wall going into the living room. That way you can extend the wall on the stair side (if that area is now walled off)

• felizlady
    hace 7 años
    You have an open plan, so you see multiple spaces. Not a real problem.
  • Linda
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I've re-worked the pantry area and made a mudroom w/exterior door and entry to pantry (now only 10' x 6') and a bit smaller laundry~

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

I'm not sure what your concern is, but the opening seems to face the island more than the dining table. It won't be visible from the front door--you won't see it until you get to the opening--but it might encourage you to keep the island tidy.

Depending on the style of your home, consider eliminating the arch and just have the opening. I would not add another arch or decorative moldings.

• leelee
    hace 7 años

I agree, arches don't lend themselves to most styles of homes.

• Linda
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I was thinking of closing off the foyer a little by adding a 2-3' wall on both sides, I would have to extend the wall a little on the left. Opening into living area would be almost 4'. No arches~

• Julie PH
    hace 7 años

Angles are hard to work with. Maybe consider centering it on the living room wall or making it open to the dining room.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

I wouldn’t mind seeing a dining table and beautiful chandelier. What I don’t like is seeing the kitchen from the living room.

I would extend that interor wall so it goes at least to the end of the island.

That is also one huge pantry which is taking up some of the dining space.

Stair case…walls on both sides will make it very dark. Looks like a support wall, but I would like to see it open to the hall.

Kwinter Design · Más información

• Linda
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The stairs are for the basement & attic. Living space all on one floor. 3000 sq. ft.

Here is a re-worked plan. My main concern is this particular area. I am thinking that wall to the left of the foyer will look odd from the dining area??

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.