Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

POLL: Best bedding filling

hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Houzzers - which filling is your favoured choice when it comes to buying bedding and pillows? In my experience synthetic pillows have the potential to get lumpy and aside from the occasional feather jabbing you, I have found natural to be the the warmest and most comfortable, though I have to admit I've never had a memory foam pillow!

Luxury apartment · Más información

So - which wins it for you? Vote and share what you think the pros and cons of each are with us below!

Natural
Synthetic
Memory Foam
Natural and synthetic blend

Comentarios (28)

• hace 7 años
    The best bed I've ever owned was a Japanese futon, hemp and cotton mattress, organic pine frame. I had a wool filled duvet and wool filled pillows. I really loved that bed.
  • hace 7 años
    My son had problems sleeping so I bought him; Goose feather and Egyptian cotton mattress topper, Egyptian cotton goose feather and down filled duvet. Feather filled cotton pillows and 400+ Egyptian cotton sheets and brushed cotton duvet cover. He sleeps like a baby now, only problem is I can't get him out of bed!
  • hace 7 años

Just wondering about wool pillows could you get very hot during the summer?. I have a memory foam pillow its very comfortable.

• hace 7 años

Kit O, yes, Japanese futon is the most comfortable bed for me too. I've slept on futons for more than 30 years due to back problems, it is great, can't sleep on anything else now.

As for duvets and pillows, I wonder if anybody here has experience with silk ones? I am considering buying a summer silk duvet, any comments would be appreciated.

• hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

All pillows have a limited life so it's not balanced to criticise synthetic pillows for going lumpy. A feather pillow that has lost its oomph is just as bad. The point is to replace pillows as soon as they show signs of having worn out and definitely don't just move them to the spare room for visitors. Chuck them out! I have three double beds each with four pillows on them: two Dunlopillows on the bottom and two feather pillows on the top. I prefer to use the Dunlopillows as I like firm pillows. With all of them I cover them with a protective pillowcase then put on the one that goes with the bedding - to prevent dribble stains reaching the pillow and feathers popping through. But the point is - nothing lasts for ever and if a synthetic pillow has gone lumpy it is no longer a pillow; if you hold a feather pillow up from a corner and the feathers sag down, that is also no longer a pillow. It's time to go shopping.

• hace 7 años
    Wool all the way - see https://www.baavet.co.uk. Great selection of wool bedding from GB; ethically produced; organic with no bleaching. Wool dries so quickly too. Really comfortable in all seasons.
  • hace 7 años
    @vv0123 I've also had a silk filled duvet. The silk eventually all moved and bunched up in the pockets. I did like it but I think my wool filled one was far more durable and easier to care for.
  • hace 7 años
    @scaldation52 the wool pillows were so I wasn't in contact with synthetic products. I didn't find them any warmer than other pillows. Interestingly I've read that memory foam is very effective at retaining heat - good in winter, not so good in summer.
  • hace 7 años

I suffer severely from allergies so can only have synthetic filled pillows and duvets. Very happy with them and agree with Joanna Biddolph - pillows should be replaced regularly. I've tried washing mine but they just went lumpy, so off to the shops I went!

• hace 7 años

Goose down pillows for me.

• hace 7 años
    Feathers are nice but only if cruelty free... lots come from live plucked birds which is vile! Check they are responsibly sourced...
  • hace 7 años
    Wool duvet, pillow and topper on an old (20 years but just ordered a new one!) but expensive natural pocket sprung mattress . I got mine at Baavet and they are brilliant - naturally dust-mite resistant and neither too hot nor too cold. The duvet stays put better than down and/or feathers as is a bit heavier (medium suits us fine all through the year). The pillow felt odd to start with (filled with tiny balls of wool, the quantity of which you can alter to suit) but then I got the hang of plumping it up and pulling apart the tiny balls of wool every day, through the pillowcase, and now it's perfect - again, a perfect temperature.
  • hace 7 años

The best purchase we ever made was a silk duvet. It is thin and so light, yet warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

• hace 7 años
    Wool duvet and pillow from Soak and Sleep is my favourite. In one house I have used their summer wool duvet all year round and in another house their spring/autumn one all year round. I am very rarely too hot or too cold. They are supposed to be good for allergy sufferers too. I also have another spring/autumn wool duvet with wool from another animal (can't remember which it is at the moment, something like alpaca I think) but I am far too hot with that one.
  • hace 7 años

Are they expensive ?

• hace 7 años

alstonia, what TOG?

• hace 7 años
    As to cost, it depends on weight (they don't do it as togs), light, medium or heavy based on grams per square metre of wool. I got my medium (fine in our quite draughty house all year with no heating on at night) in the Bargain Box at Baavet for about £90 as it had oil marks - from going through the quilting machine - but they are small and don't show through when the cover is on.
  • hace 7 años
    That's King size, by the way - a decent price compared to pure down I think.
  • hace 7 años

woollen mattress topper, cotton sheets, wool blankets, cotton bedspread, and feather pillows

• hace 7 años

vv0123, I have two silk duvets. The double was an expensive make bought in a sale - 4.5 tog - light and cool and drapes well, so warm in winter too. I get hot so use it in winter and use a thinner 2.5 tog cotton filled one bought from Lidl in summer. I bought a silk single one for around £50 on ebay but it isn't the same. It's heavier (though the same tog rating) and the stiff cover material creaked when I moved so I had to get rid of it. If you're buying silk go for quality. I also have a thin hemp-filled one from John Lewis, but don't like it as much as the cotton.

• hace 7 años

Thank you webuser_952832, very useful information. I didn't know Lidl sell cotton filled duvets, will keep an eye for them.

• hace 7 años

We purchased this silk duvet on a trip to China. We watched them being constructed from lots of individual silk cocoons - there was no tog rating - just the promise of it being good for all seasons - and so far it has been; plus it has stayed flat, no bunching.

• hace 7 años

Wow, an original Chinese duvet! Sounds great :)

• hace 7 años
    Love the feel of feather bedding but I am allergic to feathers and even the thought of it makes my eyes itch and my nose sneeze.
    I'm looking for a good alternative that feels just as luxurious, can anyone suggest anything or any makes or particular brands?
  • PRO
    hace 7 años

Does anyone else find the feathers in pillows poke through and annoy you?

• PRO
    hace 5 años

Has to be foam

• hace 5 años

I used to love feather pillows, however seeing how cruel it is to the duck and watching the videos on line I will now only go synthetic...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.