Houzz Logo Print
pamela_wake

Help! Best colours for paint, carpet and window treatments for RENTAL

Pookes
hace 7 años

My rental is due for a refresh and I have decided on polypropylene loop pile carpets, Dulux wash & wear low sheen paint and a block out roller blind and ceiling to floor sheers. I need help with suggestions for colours which are tenant friendly and compliment the kitchen :)

Comentarios (16)

• Pookes
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I'm wanting to get a darker carpet as they stain easily. Channeling 'greige' as per the example photo below. Do you have another suggestion?

• A B
    hace 7 años

The current carpet is a shade of greige isn't it? Looks in good condition too on my screen. I'd clean it but keep it!

• PRO
    d & b
    hace 7 años
    I d like to suggest a dark shade of grey for the kitchen living, Farrow and Ball elephant breath, if you don't want to use it on all walls use it as feature. This colour will look more beige or more grey depending on your kitchen exposition, it is a neutral color and very cozy. Not a fan of Dulux paint but you can try to match it just remember to go slightly darker with it as pigmentation in dulux is different.
  • Pookes
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The original carpets were more cream in colour and similar to the image below but sadly have succumbed to years of abuse.

• Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    I think some of the tartans are very forgiving, look really smart and you can choose something with a green/ grey tone in it to temper the impact of the kitchen. Plus this way there are other colours in the carpet for wide appeal.
  • PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    hace 7 años

A grey loop pile carpet would look really nice - it's fashionable but also very forgiving. What about something like this?

It's from our Malabar range and the shade is Tungsten. To see a swatch shot visit here http://www.cormarcarpets.co.uk/product_malabar_two-fold/product_malabar_two-fold.php

Or what about Belvedere Ash from our Boucle Neutrals range?http://www.cormarcarpets.co.uk/product_boucle-neutrals/product_boucle-neutrals.php   

• PRO
    Bloc Blinds
    hace 7 años

Hi there,

Our roller blinds are ideal for the rental market. There are easy to install and when you want to change fabric due to general wear and tear from tenants or a change of decor, you simply swap the fabric without replacing the complete system or even removing it from the window. Find out more about our Roller Blinds for Rentals here. Or if you would like to chat through your options further you can reach us on 0800 107 5535.

Best of luck, it looks like a great property!

Kiera

• PRO
    Su Design
    hace 7 años

Hi, I have quick worked on photoshop for your project. What do you think dark gray carpet and light gray or white wall paint and Clay colour of blind?

Something like this colour combination?

Example work below.

I hope this will be helpful for you.

Pookes agradeció a Su Design
  • craftycountess
    hace 7 años

Can I recommend Leyland Trade vinyl Matt paint which can be mixed to any colour. I have been very disappointed with the coverage of dulux/crown versions these days. They can match the majority of other paint makes and is much cheaper. I get mine from Johnstones Paints.

Have you not thought of going for a decent vinyl floor covering, easier to maintain and tenants could lay rugs of their choice? Carpets get so grubby.

Colour is such a personal choice but neutral is always the best way for tenants to bring in their own furnishing styles.

just my thoughts......

• Rosie B
    hace 7 años
    I so agree with Craftycountess re Dulux/Crown paints. We spent a lot of time and money painting our hall, stairs, landing and the coverage of the paint was awful - but even worse, after all of that work and effort, any mark made on the wall is impossible to remove because the paint just washes off! And spare paint which I saved to 'touch up' damage - when I opened the tin it had turned to opaque water. Useless!!
  • Sonia
    hace 7 años

I've never had problems with Dulux paint, and my decorator says they are good quality and easy to work with. I recently had my hall, stairs and landing, and my bedroom painted in Dulux Egyptian Cotton and I love it! It's a soft greige, a touch lighter than F&B Elephants Breath, a sort of light mushroom colour really. I personally find F&B paints are so watery and just not worth the expensive price. If you like any of their colours just get them colour matched in a cheaper paint. Storing leftover paint can be difficult as our sheds and garages are so cold in the winter and it affects the paint. It can separate with a watery layer at the top, but can be stirred in. If it's too cold then the paint is sometimes beyond saving, this isn't the paints fault, just the chilly conditions.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    hace 7 años

I have to agree with Crafty Countess about having a vinyl flooring. I would recommend Loose Lay by Karndean. The range comes in wood plank and stone tile effects, does not have to be glued down except around the edges of the room and damaged "tiles" can be easily replaced. They are made for commercial use, so are very durable and will retain their looks for years to come.

From our own tenants, I've found that white or off- white works best. You'll never get a colour right for a tenant. In the past, we've hung curtains, which our tenants always ask to take down and put up their own. We've painted lightly fresh or richly cozy feature walls, which our tenants have asked to paint over. So we always use a neutral paint now. We allow our tenants to hang pictures, providing they repair and paint the holes when they move out and use wall stickups that they can take with them.

The less colour you put in, the more you allow your tenants to make the space their own.

• lazyletters
    hace 7 años

We have a holiday let and went with 'fresh linen' on all walls except the kitchen which is light duck egg blue, otherwise it tends to blur together and is unmemorable. The colour changes with the light of the day but always look fresh and clean. Colour pops are added with furnishings but curtains were kept fairly minimal in tone just a little pattern but matching the Fresh Linen. If you use a quick drying matt paint it is quick to repair any damage so it always looks nice. The paler tones tend to make everything bigger and brighter its also a good colour match for pretty much any bolder colours to add some personality. Guests describe it as calm and tranquil.

• Susan
    hace 7 años
    I do agree with some of the comments regarding Dulux paint regarding quality that if brought directly from the DIY store. I have found that the quality of Dulux paint is so much better when brought
    directly from Dulux.

I now decorating my entire home for the second time in 12 years and this time decided to pick and buy directly from them and what a difference in quality the paint is from the stuff in the stores it tougher and more durable. I have not had to do not one touch up in my lounge and that room was completed just over a year ago.

Kitchen is only 4.5 meters in length and 1.2 wide and I am amazed that no scratches from the wall has appeared yet since completion in October 2016.

Buy directly for quality and better choice of colours.
  • PRO
    Carpet-Clean.ie
    hace 7 años

Being a Carpet cleaner,always choose a carpet with a pattern,stripe or fleck.If you choose a plain carpet it will look great but you will have to clean it more regularly like below

CARPETS DIRTY

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.