Houzz Logo Print
kirstinkeilty32

floor too dark and wood cabinets will now match, I fear!

Kirstin Keilty
hace 7 años

I am doing my first refurbish of a kitchen in a 50 year old house my husband and I just bought. I picked out fantastic cabinets, which are wood grain (sort of tiger-striped) light and dark. They will be flat doors. We also put in wood floors (and knocked out a wall and punched a hole through another wall, so now, our ranch style home is very open floor plan-ish. We couldn't afford wider, planked hardwoods, so settled on the narrower oak that matches the rest of the house. I wanted to keep the floors lighter (even though they wouldn't match the other floor in the bedrooms and hallway - they are not a great redder oak stained color), and know that I would redo the older flooring at some point in the near future, to match. The floor guys stained several areas of the floor different stains that were about 12X12" and I was to pick a stain from that. I looked at the lighter stain and then the poly that they had used alone, and they seemed too pink somehow. so I went with Early American, which is rich, and a little darker (definitely not orange or reddish, which I can't stand), but now that it is on the floors, it looks very similar to the cabinet wood (although in oak in pattern), which, wasn't as noticeable until the whole floor was covered. The grain will even be going in the same direction. I have not gotten the cabinets yet, as they are not scheduled to be ready for installation until January's end, but I am so afraid that I will be stuck with these great cabinets which I have now become totally underwhelming and monotonous with the floor color I chose. I don't see any pictures of design where floor color matches with lower-cabinet color, very closely, (they are always quite contrasting) and I'm scared that I spent a whole lot of money on custom this and that that is going to be disappointing. I need some encouragement, if there is any to give. Or, at least some honesty, in case I'm going to need to sell my house, since I can't afford a re-order or re-do. Help!!

Comentarios (14)

• champcamp
    hace 7 años

Do you have photos of cabs and floor stain? Your cabinets sound fantastic!

Kirstin Keilty agradeció a champcamp
  • Kirstin Keilty
    hace 7 años
    Here is the photo of my cabinet colors. The wood, the white cabinets, which will be uppers and well as floor to ceiling on one side of kitchen
    That will be l-shaped. Then there is backsplash (I love copper) and the wood cabinets as well as the countertop. The wood cabinets are on one side of the kitchen wall with double oven and fridge as well as island that will be all wood type and the wood will also be where cook top is. I can send plans too if you would like.
  • Kirstin Keilty
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you! I was hoping they would be....now, just stress about it. So glad I found this support, ha ha!

I sent a picture of the scheme from my phone since my computer camera is not functional for some reason....

• champcamp
    hace 7 años

Bumping for you to get more opinions. I am not a pro, but the cabinets and floors look awfully close to me. I really do like your cabinets, though! Would it be possible to restrain your flooring darker if you can't change the cabinets on order? Cabinets like that should pop.

• acm
    hace 7 años

Agree that it's unfortunate that the heavy oak graining is taking away from the dramatic cabinet wood. I'd darken the floors several steps or change to solid cabinets. Sorry.

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

I think the white uppers and the one wall of white cabinets will be enough contrast with your wood grain. Most people put a little rug in front of the sink and you could add color there.

• tedbixby
    hace 7 años

You'll be fine. Here is a kitchen with similar color matching flooring and cabinets. Though it doesn't have white upper cabinets as your kitchen will, this kitchen has a lot of white on its upper parts which I hope gives you a visual of what yours will look like. I wouldn't purchase the back splash until the cabinet & countertops are installed. You may even want to post your kitchen before making that selection and get some input from houzzers. Have you selected your countertop yet? And will there be any pendants in this area?

Las Canoas Remodel Kitchen · Más información

• Kirstin Keilty
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you for all of the support! It does look doable, given the picture that is here. I do have open cabinets around the white wall of cabinets, as well as on the side of one wooded wall of cabinets where fridge and double ovens will be, as well as some open shelving around an opening in a brick wall where the cooktop will be. I haven't officially picked the counter top, but the white one here is similar, says my designer. I have already ordered the backsplash, which I can change order on, if need be, because my designer said it was time to order my backsplash. All of the sales people were so sold on the one in the picture, and I went back twice to relook, but they were all so sure that this was the thing. (Do sales people in these places get extra bonuses for selling certain items? I don't know, that was just the vibe I was getting, since they were all so gushy over the tile in the picture). Yes, I will have three pendants over the island, and again, my designer has given me some idea about what would look good, but they are mostly glass, and maybe a little boring. I felt like making the best decision would be to wait (I do have many can lights in the kitchen so it's not like we can't see in there) until I can see how it's all coming together? I'm also not loving the lighter color of paint on the wall and there is something with the white trim. Maybe paint the darker grey everywhere as well as on the crown molding? I will send a few shots. Thank you!!

• Kirstin Keilty
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Where the kitchen is so far...
  • Kirstin Keilty
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    More
  • Kirstin Keilty
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Floor plans
  • PRO
    Artios Cabinetry
    hace 7 años

If you want the cabinetry to be the focal point, then you could switch the white uppers and zebrano wood base cabinets to separate the two wood tones. If you would like the copper backsplash to stand out more, then I would say keep the zebrano wood on the bases and let the copper be the focal point with the pop of the white wall cabinets.

• Kirstin Keilty
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you so much! I've also called my designer to circle back and discuss my worries. And, so the thing is, is that the 26K for cabinets have been placed. I'm not sure what a change order would run. But I don't think the outcome would be something that I could work. Gives me hope that a workaround could be the coppery backsplash. I just don't want it to look too busy. Thanks for all of the ideas and thoughts about things to consider!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.