Houzz Logo Print
ktoze

Boundary fence advice re neighbouring sheds

Kirsten
hace 7 años
Hi. We are about to embark on a renovation/extension in Victoria. My question is about whether it is common place to have neighbouring sheds form part of the fence line? We are unfortunate enough to have one in the backyard space on either side of the property! One is a painted brick and the other is quite a tall tin shed. The fencing will need replacing and I'm wondering what on earth to do about these sheds! If we were to fence in front of them, then it cuts into our already small yard space. But on the other hand, I'm also concerned about how 'bits and piecey' the fence will look with them forming part of the fence line, and how this will make our back yard end up looking! I'm also curious as to whether this is even allowed? Should I be checking with the planning department at the council? Not that I wish to cause upset with the neighbours, but it is really concerning me. Any advice would be welcome, thank you.

Comentarios (12)

• John Henson
    hace 7 años
    The eclectic mix of materials is an asset, make the most of it.
  • User
    hace 7 años

Yes it's common, but not encouraged. Same as above, paint it. To get neighbours to move sheds off a boundary would be relationship destroying....on both sides. I don''t think it would be worth it.

• Kirsten
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks everyone. I'll have to search for some ideas, as I lack creativity in the field of landscaping! I think you are right too Mel, I certainly don't want to be on bad terms with our new neighbours :)
  • John Henson
    hace 7 años
    I'm big on the dark fence, mine are going to be monument. Plants look great against black and it's the opposite when out doors, dark colours recede and make areas look larger. Handy when in a small yard. Take more shots when ready with an overview plan and post it on here. There will be plenty of ideas that will be submitted.
  • Kirsten
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    That is great advice, thank you John! And yes, I will also upload more details re the plan; thanks for the suggestion :)
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi,

its very common to have a structure on a boundary with a parapet wall.

We are just finishing up some landscaping (dig out the old dead weeds, new trees and lawn) and painted the one below in Taubmans Zelda.

Have to do a bit of touch up where we levelled further and a mow to finish but you can see it makes a great backdrop.

• LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    I like a zero boundary wall if it is brick as it gives both privacy and a backdrop to plant against. You could do your standard fence either side and paint the shed wall a feature colour. Embrace it.
  • K D
    hace 7 años

We painted the walls and fences black and planted box hedge along the boundary and ivy up the brick wall. If you're scared of black, charcoal would also work.

• User
    hace 7 años

Gorgeous courtyard KD. You've given me some ideas

• Kirsten
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks again for all the further replies - what a helpful community this is! KD, I love your yard! Thanks so much for sharing :)
  • PRO
    Paul Pritchard Landscapes
    hace 7 años
    What a bonus!! Use a bit of Street Art influence!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.