Houzz Logo Print
ashley_kendrick

Need help finding cabinet doors

hace 7 años

My husband and I decided to take on our first BIG DIY project = Built-Ins! Now, we need to find the doors! :) We want doors with glass fronts but can't seem to find either the right color, material, or size. We have researched how to make our own but would like to see if we can find 2 pairs first. Dimensions would need to be 18" x 40" Suggestions?

Comentarios (11)

• hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Don't go with glass doors. You might as well leave them as shelves. The tops can be for display and the bottoms with doors to "hide" stuff you don't want to show. TV accessories, etc. You might be able to find louvered doors from the internet.

• hace 7 años

It would have been nice to leave more of a space between the top of the cabs and the bottom of the small windows.

• PRO
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

i think leelee means something like this with the open shelving. yes??

you could do doors like they have in the pic (either the top or bottom ones) and leave a top shelf open.

• hace 7 años

Like the bottoms of these built-ins.

• hace 7 años
    Thanks everyone!

1. We planned on making them ourselves. It there's a tool used to cut grooves so the glass will fit in....we don't own that tool. So we'd be going out to purchase the tool to do. It's an option for us, we just wanted to cut out purchasing them first if it wouldn't work.
    2. Our living room is not very large so we felt non-glass doors would make the room look too "closed" and stuffed.
    3. Open shelving is an idea but i feel it can look a bit cluttered and due to some other "imperfect home" issues we would need doors to make these imperfections less noticeable.
    4. Yeah; I told my husband to leave room at the top but we told the guy at Lowes the wrong measurement and by the time several pieces were cut and we were back at home, we were too worn out to go back and get it cut down. :(
    5. If we don't go the glass route, maybe we'll try a combo of everyone's idea- top shelf open, bottoms closed. We'll see!!
  • hace 7 años

I can see why you might feel that solid doors could make the room feel more closed in BUT actually doors would make the room look less cluttered or busy. A solid face rather than lots of small panes that show stuff inside. It's a much cleaner look to have solid doors. Not to mention easier and less expensive. Plus it'll allow you to achieve a more professional look on your DYI job.

• hace 7 años

IKEA actually has 18"x40" cabinets in their kitchen selection. You could get a few of those. They aren't cheap ($80-100 each for glass, solid panel are less), but they're not DIY, which it sounds like you don't have the supplies to do on your own.

• PRO
    hace 7 años

Barker Cabinet Door. You can't build them for what they sell them for. Quick, affordable and quality doors.

If you get MDF have them prime them as sealing MDF edges is not as easy as it sounds with box store products.

• hace 7 años
    @leelee good point. @apaquin IKEA only had off-white in color doors, which wouldn't work with what we have. We actually just found a good deal off Craigslist near where we love so we will check it out! Thanks everyone.
  • PRO
    hace 7 años
    I use Barker doors often. I put in your size in paint grade alder with cups or drilled for hinges. I believe they were 55.00 each. You need to paint paint them yourself.
    Check them out. They make any size you like, with or without mullions and different finishes. They have white as well but it will cost more. www.barkerdoors.com
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.