Houzz Logo Print
duby

Soapstone

Judy B.
hace 7 años

Love the look of soapstone. Would like a soapstone counter and sink. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comentarios (12)

• smm5525
    hace 7 años

Buy soapstone, have it installed and enjoy

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

soapstone varies greatly in color, tone, veining, etc. It can be a little more expensive than granite. It's been used in chemistry labs for hundreds of years. You can leave it natural or oil it to bring out a deeper shade of black (or greenish gray depending on the color you get). They are pretty durable, won't stain, you can put hot pans on it (it doesn't conduct heat) easy to clean and don't harbor bacteria. It won't absorb water so it doesn't need to be sealed. You can choose to oil it or not.

The cons,,,, it can chip or scratch, but it's still stronger than marble. You won't have to worry if you spill wine or tomato sauce over it, you can just wipe it clean. There's a reason it's been used in labs all these years!

My friend just redid her kitchen and got the countertop and loves it. Back in the left corner near the sink, is a beautiful light green mineral deposit in the veining. That's why she got the green glass backsplash.

• Judy B.
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the info.

• Judy B.
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the article.

• PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    hace 7 años

Hi JD, Marie here.

Soapstone is stunning especially in a classic white kitchen! Don't be afraid, go for it. Just know exactly what your getting into, and how to maintain it. Good luck!

• Judy B.
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks, Marie, the maintenance doesn't scare me, nor the scratches, but I do still have concerns about chips on the edges. I like the straight edges, but may go with a rounded edge to minimize chips. I am also researching the hardest soapstone I can find where I live here in PA.

Thanks so much for your time.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I've never had a client complain regarding chips, and always do a straight edge with the barest ease. In fact, I've had THAT happen more often on quartz!. I DO love some shine, inserted, so I would prefer a farm sink in another material.....or even the soft glow of stainless via under mount or farm style! I think your concern is somewhat unwarranted : ) unless you're running a busy restaurant with seven sous chefs!?

• Judy B.
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks so much Jan, I am very glad to hear that you have not had clients with chip issues with soapstone. That helps ease my concerns. I guess chipping must not be a common issue.
    As far as having a busy kitchen, not me. I am that woman who only has a kitchen because it came with the house!
    Thanks for you insights.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años

@ JD

Yeah........ I'm with you! "

The only thing I "make" is RESERVATIONS!!?"

• dataw1127
    hace 7 años

My advice on soapstone is also to choose it with "Reservations." LOL

I love my stone but it must be the particular type of soapstone because mine chips badly. The edges are all dinged up and there are divots all over the surface. The divots are chalky so they are whitish and obvious. I chose this slab for the marble veins, some of which are a pale jade green, it is gorgeous but I have to live with the imperfections. No kids in the house, just two seniors so it is not mishandled. I do oil it occasionally, maybe every 2 months, but any problems with fingermarks and watermarks faded a few months after the installation. I haven't seen any in forever.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

data:

Have your edges reprofiled. It's a little dusty, but it ain't all that. Your chips will be eliminated.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.