Houzz Logo Print
vkilpatrick

Color for garage door, shutters, front door-curb appeal!

vkilpatrick
hace 11 años
Hi everyone, this is my friend and neighbor's house. She is looking to update it with some color-and needing some help for curb appeal. The brick is very light cream and the vinyl is white (both she is hoping to keep, for the time being at least). Wondering if she should beef up the pillars on the porch, and other other suggestions for this fun, young family!
Thanks so much for your time and help!!

Comentarios (11)

• karencronan
    hace 10 años
    She should really think about painting the bricks and garage door white so it looks like it's all one house instead of a house chopped in half with 2 different color schemes. I would also paint the front door black and that way everything looks balanced and complete.
  • PRO
    Marcia Makoviecki, Assoc Broker, Coldwell Banker
    hace 10 años
    Cute house! The haircut hedge under the left side of the house makes it look a little ummm 'awkward.' I'd take those out and install some pretty, taller, more natural plantings; possibly a few camellia shrubs, which have shiny green leaves all year round and gorgeous blooms in spring or fall, depending on the variety. Let them fill in a bit more of the blank white space under those windows . I agree on making the whole house white, front door black or dark grey, and fun accent color on the shutters that you could change often - maybe try a deep raspberry or deep teal. More substantial pillars would be great, or take them out altogether and pave the porch and sidewalk and sidewalk as one 'unit', and extend the pavers out into a deeper, more organic shape and landscape around it with some beautiful perennials.
  • PRO
    garden design online
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    The color arent ugly,add a pergola,a porch,plant hydrangea,boxwood,forsythia,hosta,fern...depend on the budget,they more work.
  • thiskidd
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I like the cream brick and the gray garage door with all white trim. I would paint the white siding above the hedges the same gray as the garage door, keep the shutters black, and paint the front entry door black to match the shutters. Keep the roof line trim white. Paint the side wall by the front door the same cream as the brick if isn't already...can't tell from the pictures. If you want a pop of color, a bright orange front entry door would be a great option, instead of the black. The black is a classic, the orange is striking. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Jim Hicks Home Improvement
    hace 10 años
    Some of the comments here advocated painting the brick. As a contractor I'm not a big fan of painting brick as well as alterations that are difficult to reverse. You said that she didn't want to alter the brick or siding color at this time. However, if she was open to it I would replace the aluminum siding with a vinyl (or Hardieplank if the budget allowed) that was a similar color to the brick.
    If the siding alteration is not an option, like you said, than I would work towards coordinating the colors of the trim, garage door, front door and shutters. I'm not advocating "matching" their colors, but if the trim and garage door were white, and the shutters complimented the front door, it would be a better look.
  • thiskidd
    hace 10 años
    Hi Jim Hicks, I believe the brick is already cream either painted or natural stone. I was just recommending that the sidewall be the same color.
  • PRO
    Menage Interiors
    hace 9 años
    We agree with Marcia - pull out the perfect looking bush and bring in some hostas, hydrangea, boxwoods - something that is more vibrant and green. We would recommend painting the front door and garage dark and definitely beef up the pillars. Check out Benjamin Moore - Metropolis or Willow. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    hace 9 años
    Curb appeal needs to be addressed here in more than just the front door shutters and garage. the color of the house should also be considered and there should be a walk way to the front of the house. Paint the house light grey and add black shutters white garage door and white front door. Add some bushes and more soft scape to the front yard.
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
    Old dilemma. April 2014.
  • PRO
    Motor City Door
    hace 9 años
    Although this style of garage door is perfect for the house, I would recommend painting it white. This would really allow it to pop and create a sense of balance across the overall color scheme!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.