Houzz Logo Print
car_car21

Wrong rug for family room?

car_car21
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

We just bought this rug on a whim for our family room. After laying it down something just doesn't look right. It's a 9 x 12 rug. Living room is an awkward 11.5 x 23 and we've always had problems with its arrangement because it's so long. Trying to keep a neutral colour palette.Is this rug too wide or too short or does it look okay?

Comentarios (10)

• car_car21
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

• PRO
    C'est Jolie Designs
    hace 7 años

The rug size is fine. You need to adjust the furniture placement on the rug. Try to center the entertainment unit and the large sofa on the rug. Pull the love seat in so that its footprint on the rug is similar to the footprint from the larger sofa. You could then coral the toys behind the loveseat. Your existing coffee table looks a little to small for the scale of the sofas. That said, the room is narrow, so look for a long and narrow coffee table to run parallel to the larger sofa. Finally... hang the window frame style photos I see propped along the back wall. You are so close to having the room put together!

car_car21 agradeció a C'est Jolie Designs
  • auntthelma
    hace 7 años

The loveseat should be closer to the couch. It should share the end table so they are in an L shape.

• car_car21
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Wow thanks! I will move the rug and reposition the loveseat better but I'm slightly concerned about all the wasted space behind the loveseat now. Does it look odd? Any suggestions on what to do here? Approx 11.5 x 6 ft.

• PRO
    Rana/Art Palette
    hace 7 años

I do agree with pulling the loveseat closer. You have a beautiful window and with the space there, a nice beautiful chair or two with a small decorative table will make a beautiful space to have a peaceful cup of tea or reading a book.

car_car21 agradeció a Rana/Art Palette
  • Linda
    hace 7 años
    I think a large storage ottoman behind the love seat would be best to store the kids toys and would be practical. I agree a small coffee table or ottoman is needed in front of the large sofa. : )
    car_car21 agradeció a Linda
  • car_car21
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks! I've also been wondering if the matching rug, walls and drapes are a bit too much of the same color? (Rug is slightly warmer tone then the walls). Do you think a change in drapery is needed now?

• PRO
    Rana/Art Palette
    hace 7 años

I don't think so. The lighter drapes are extending the indoors to outside. The darker drapes will kind of outline the windows providing a visual dark frame for them. I would actually think of putting a beautiful artwork on the right wall (the wall against which sofa is ) and bring attention to the width of the room, instead of just a long view looking outside. Maybe a scenery than a still life.

• PRO
    C'est Jolie Designs
    hace 7 años

As far as the back of the sofa... a console table with shelves behind the sofa would be perfect. Look for one that can hold several baskets on the shelves to store toys. This will allow you to display family photos and place a lamp or two for cozy evening lighting. Speaking to your drapery question... I own and operate a drapery workroom so I can always picture some great change with custom drapes. That said, working with what you have and making an effort to keep investment low, my suggestion would be to match the height of the drapery on the other wall. The added height will make a huge statement in your space. Make sure to use longer drapes that will still touch the floor. If you can no longer get a matching pair then certainly you can look at options to switch them out all together. This will leave you with some wall space above the window. Look for a long sign or iron piece to hang there to break up that space a little. Also, hang the drapes on both windows about 6 inches out from the side of the window so that the inside edge of the drapes falls just a few inches inside of the trim. You will gain a lot more light and add some visual drama to the room. The light color of the drapes is fine and I think helpful given the dark sofas. I would bring in light pillows (carrying over the color of the drapes and the rug) for the sofa. This will help pull everything together. If you need further help with specifying pieces, etc. feel free to send me a private message and I can give you information about design consults.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.