Houzz Logo Print
slievore

Need help to complete living room, need some sort of character?

HenshinGSR
hace 7 años
just moved in about a month ago. Ordered a ink blue sofa which will arrive in a few weeks (see picture for sofa), what else do we need? Better lighting ? I was thinking of a live wood slab coffee table?

Comentarios (160)

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I will measure the height for you next time I am home (later today)

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The jet modern table is nice.

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Should I make the coffee a dramatic piece? What i mean by that is I'm looking for something to give the room that focal point. I think its missing that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    Measure length of sofa too. With narrow overall space round coffee tables work best. Aged gold spans both old world (rug) and modern (aged brass is everywhere in designs today). You also need some metal in this space. A long metal sculpture piece for above sofa could be focal point. But with relatively low ceilings i would make coffee table show stopper against gorgeous blue sofa!
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    What flo said^
  • PRO
    BaBoo
    hace 7 años

Here are some great lighting options we offer that might do wonders for your living room:

Residential spaces with BaBoo's interiors · Más información

The Duke · Más información

Lighting as a Jewelry · Más información

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks flo ... any ideas on a show stopper coffee table?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    What budget do I need to respect for showstopper coffee table?
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    The couch seat is 19" heigh and 84" long
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I don't have a lot to spend but I would say no more than $600
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    I have found 2 possibilities so far. First, my fav but over your price point, but if you could catch it on sale you might be able to pull it off. It is pottery barn Vince Metal Clad 35" rd Old gold $799 without sale. I posted this one earlier. The next one is a bit more rustic but still kind of chic, lower than budget! From Wayfair Loon Peak Gallatin Round Coffee Table $435.50. 36" rd. 19.75 high. I have them posted on my idea book called "henshinGSR". See what you think. Both would be nice. The gold would be statement. The other one more casual/rustic.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

henshinGSR · Más información
    This is the pricey one, but gorgeous statement piece. I have a client who got this one and it is really a nice piece.
    henshinGSR · Más información
    This is the more "rustic" one but still very nice styling and would work well. Both are good sizing for your sofa size. The rustic is quite a bit less expensive, so you might like that better! I think way back you mentioned you wanted a bit of a rustic look, which is why I selected this one. I finally was able to get my desk top working so I could post these pictures.

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks I like both tables .. the gold one would be nice to have I guess I could keep a look out if it goes on sale any time soon
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

They have sales almost every week. Just look about every 3-4 days or call and ask them. They will tell you if they know and you might be able to "pre-order"? Not sure about them, but some will do that.

• J D
    hace 7 años
    I love the gold! I just don't think it's going to get you the look you want.
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Found another inspiration pic for you:)
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I like that pic .. maybe we need a table like that
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

A mid-century modern table would add a third style to the space which can work, but IMO not the best choice. You don't have the width for this size, but perhaps there are other woods you could introduce there. Mainly just a personal choice I think. Find what appeals to you most, but then repeat that style in two other elements so you bring the various style elements together into a cohesive look.

• J D
    hace 7 años
    Henshin, yeah I think so too...that's why I showed you those three wood tables. I can find more too:)
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Do you not like the live edge look anymore?
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Saw this...what do you think?
  • christina405
    hace 7 años

I would love the Katina coffee table with your beautiful sofa and rug. It's just a little above your price range. How about using the table you just bought (which is too low for the sofa arm--can't reach over it to get a coffee cup, etc.) between a pair of chairs eventually. You can look for slipper chairs or ones at least with low arms. Also how about a ceiling fan without lights? Maybe you can remove the lights from the one you have -- and paint it the same color you use on the ceiling. It would be functional but "disappear" visually.

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    No I love the live edge table idea but not sure if I can find one in my price range. They tend to be pretty pricey.
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I will have to look into seeing if I can remove the lights off he ceiling fan. Good idea.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    It might be more cost effective to replace with more modern fixture. If you need fan, research a "fandelier". It is a combination light and fan. When not needed the fan blades tuck back up above motor and disappear.
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    All under $500, and the right size and length for your sofa. If you like any, lmk.
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    There was no dimensions on this, but if you like it, I can ask to see if it's the correct dimensions. Just from pic, looks like it might be.
    HenshinGSR agradeció a J D
  • Joy
    hace 7 años
    Liking Flo's advice for the 3 round tables that act as a coffee table. Very, very useful and they help ground your sofa, but are not so heavy looking. Also, about making your ceiling look higher, I don't know about a ceiling with shine. How high is your ceiling, the standard 8'? Our house living room ceiling is 8'. When we bought our home the ceiling had been painted with a definite sheen to it. Large window like yours. The ceiling was very oppressive, did not feel elevated. We repainted with a white eggshell, same as walls ( tiny, tiny bit of sheen) and hung simple draperies from ceiling to floor. Now it feels higher. I think a ceiling with shine works better in rooms that have higher ceilings.
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Yes I think eggshell or semi glossy would be best. Not straight up "glossy." I would absolutely not paint the ceiling a flat paint finish though
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

the love tables look nice. I especially like the last walnut table you posted.

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Yes I will not paint the ceilings glossy. I think they are fine the way they are painted now.

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The ceilings are the standard 8'

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    In my original inspiration picture does anyone know what the 2 small chairs by the fireplace are called? Not sure if they have a name?
  • groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Cuba Lounge Chair - Design Within Reach · Más información

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Nice chair but a $799 is tough with my budget

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Try looking for some knock-offs of this chair. Or even second hand shops. They aren't real comfortable, so might get a bargain!

• J D
    hace 7 años
    Ok I will ask for the dimensions of the black walnut table:)
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Wow they got back to me in record time...these are the dimensions:
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Ok yea I will look around for the chairs. I have been around all the local second hand shops in my area but haven't found anything like that so far.
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    That's good to know the dimensions. The live edge tables aren't as expensive as I originally thought.
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Called rattan folding chair:)
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    I'm not sure if there's a specific name for the curvature of the backs of those ones though...?
  • J D
    hace 7 años
    Here are two:
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I like the last picture but looking for something lower and more laid back. I found this site that has something close to what i'm looking for but not for sale.

http://www.madformidcentury.com/2014/12/hans-wegner-style-wicker-folding-chair.html#.WCtN8rIrKUk

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I wonder if there is somewhere they make a reproduction of this chair

• HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I really like the woven ropes aspect of the chair

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Search for "Wegner rope chair" or "Wegner folding chair." Try ebay and etsy. Here are two, but they're not a lot cheaper than the ones at dwr.

Mid Century Woven Lounge Chair Hans Wegner by OtherTimesVintage · Más información

HenshinGSR agradeció a groveraxle
  • HenshinGSR
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks... yea I will have to shop around to find some at the right price/condition.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    Consider your guests because this type chair is very hard to get in and out of.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    Plus, kitties think they are scratch posts. Lol.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.