Houzz Logo Print
john_kopperud

Need Help with Front Door Color on 1901 Home

John Kopperud
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

I am renovating an old 1901 house and I am having trouble deciding on a front door color. I am leaning towards a medium gray but I am having trouble finding the right tone. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comentarios (27)

• John Kopperud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you for the feedback and yes I agree with you on the shutters. I plan to possibly replace them with more prominent black or gray shutters in the future.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

The future is NOW. Replace those shutters pronto. Beautiful house but the awful shutters ruin it.

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

BM Symphony Blue.

• PRO
    Onesta Construction
    hace 7 años

I am in agreement that dark would be the way to go. SW Naval would be a great color for the doors and shutters too.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

No shutters will fit the windows properly. They were meant to be bare. But, if possible, add two over two muntins.

I think your house is Colonial Revival in style, not unusual to have Greek Columns. I doubt the wrought iron is original as the design is neoclassical.

New exterior sconces would help.

For front door: consider B.M. Black Forest Green. Goes great with your brick steps.

• John Kopperud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. Here is another picture of the home to give a little more perspective.

• Kris Mays
    hace 7 años

Larger shutters in black. Front door in blue.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

nice house. no gray. I like that Forest Green above or the dark blue. gray is too depressing on that house.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

Dear John, thank you for posting photos of the whole house. I was very wrong about the shutters...no shutters on this fine old home. Owning a grand old home is a huge commitment in money and labor...BUT...don't feel that you have to do every little thing exactly as it was built UNLESS that is your desire.

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

this is a beautiful house

remove all shutters permanently

this house was not made to accept shutters

the windows themselves do not seem to 'go with' shutters

paint the window trim a contrasting color: there are many options

paint the door some shade of the trim color?

the dark green above is not bad

you already have black in the iron railings; you could stick with black or play around with a beautiful dark color of some sort

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

Cedar Lake Renovation · Más información

• Diane
    hace 7 años
    Wonderful home, love the beautiful brick steps. Is the door old, if not original can it be stripped down and stained? Just a thought. I will not mention the shutters since you have already gotten wonderful advice regarding them
  • Ramona
    hace 7 años

Our Past Design Work · Más información

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

Back Yard Guest House · Más información

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

Ramona, that 1st pic you posted, that house is stunning! I love that black trim. John, doing your windows like that with the color scheme, and cleaning up those bricks, would really make that house grand again.

• John Kopperud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

You all are awesome! Ramona I love the pics of the homes without shutters with the dark trim windows. I just had those vinyl replacement windows installed last year, so I'm not sure if it would work to just paint the trim around them? I had toyed with using SW Charleston Green which is very similar to the BM Black Forest Green that Judy posted above. I will shy away from the Gray for the front door and start thinking more toward a dark or black color :-)

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

John, that is why I included the third picture. The muntons, etc. are white and the dark green? is just on the trim. I think your house could pull off that look.

Also, you can try one window as an experiment. Reversing the decision will not be difficult.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 7 años

love the dark trim! love the dark door.. love no shutters!

• PRO
    Design & Build . . . by Roger Perron, Inc.
    hace 7 años

I suggest black for the door.

• lynartist
    hace 7 años
    Very lovely home! The windows would look more appropriate as JudyG Designs suggests with muntins. BM Black Forest green is one of my all time favorites! A classic door color!
  • brideyfiore
    hace 7 años
    I would be hesitant to paint the vinyl of your new windows, if that's what some are suggesting. Looks like a beautiful home.
  • John Kopperud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you! My grandparents actually purchased this home in 1941 and it's been in the family ever since so this is a special project!
  • chiflipper
    hace 7 años

I have bookmarked your post. Please post updated photos as work progresses, I would love to see them.

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

no one is suggesting painting the new windows. I am suggesting trying out a dark paint on the window trim. Painting the windows is probably impossible.

• John Kopperud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Here is the home with the front door primed. This gives a good idea of what it would look like white. Still debating on color.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    hace 7 años

black is the best choice.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.