Houzz Logo Print
donahuegriffith

Thoughts on seam?

donahuegriffith
hace 7 años

We are not happy with this seam, which is dead-center on a 10'5" vanity. Sorry about the lighting. We had to use a flashlight. Should we accept this? We've been told by the builder and fabricator that this looks good. It is rough to the touch and barely meets the standard threshold for width. The epoxy or whatever is used it very white and obvious.

[Like[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/marble-counter-top-seam-advice-dsvw-vd~3958605) Bookmark

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

The good thing about seams that wide is that it's easy to get a Japanese pull saw to cut them apart. If the edges were dressed with a Seam Phantom and properly matched adhesive used, it would be more inconspicuous.

This is more a matter of setting customer expectations than setting stone. They failed at the first and now have to redo the latter.

• sunnydrew
    hace 7 años
    Personally I would be disappointed with this. Not sure what can be done to minimize it.
  • PRO
    Monogram Interior Design LLC
    hace 7 años

No, the seam looks terrible. Too wide, the epoxy is not tinted - just white - the epoxy should be custom blended, at time of install, to match the stone. Looks like marble, calcutta maybe. Marble is soft and will chip at the cut edge - you may always feel a little roughness at the seam edge due to the fact that they cannot over sand Marble - it will pit and get a "dip" if sanded too much in one area. Make sure, once the seam has been redone that you or your fabricator seal the countertop really well. Marble is very porous and even hard water can leave a stain.

• PRO
    Patrick A. Finn, Ltd
    hace 7 años

Did they tell you there would be a seam? Most countertops longer than 8 or 9ft will have a seam. This seam is unsightly, the installation is not well done. As a contractor it's our job to inform, educate, and also try to help homeowners through the process. If this were a job I were running I would tell my fabricator to make it again because not only is the seam huge, but if it's rough as well that is just not acceptable.

• Paul F.
    hace 7 años

I've create countertop trays by taking long slices of marble and permanently affixed them to the counter often with one slice stuck over seams like this. It creates a long built-in retangular tray for items commonly found on bathroom countertops....looks nice and tidy.

• donahuegriffith
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    No, we were not told about the seam so imagine our surprise when we saw it. I appreciate the feedback and confirmation that this does not look good.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

To be honest that seam would drive me nuts. Looks like piece work;(

Are you having a backsplash installed? If so, you do not need the short one that they have installed. Even that one has a seam?

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 7 años
    At 10'5" you will have a seam. Natural stones don't hide seams well (though this could be done better). Would you prefer a seam at each sink?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.