Houzz Logo Print
studiopip

Shallow or Deep Sofas - What do you prefer to sit on?

Studio Pip
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Everyone's version of comfortable is different and the depth of a Sofa plays a huge role.

So, what does the average Houzz user prefer to sit on? Shallow (below 900D) or deep (above 900D)?

Would love to hear your thoughts on why too. Is it because of your height? Do you prefer to sit upright or lounge back? Does it depend on the room/application?

I look forward to hearing your responses - Caroline, Studio Pip

Smyth Deep
Smyth Shallow

Australian Made Sofas & Modular Lounges

Shallow
Deep

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    Ground Up Earth Builders
    hace 7 años

i have the exact same couch from www.jardan.com.au its amazing and very comfortable we love it

Studio Pip agradeció a Ground Up Earth Builders
  • PRO
    TB ID
    hace 7 años

Love being able to sink into a nice deep sofa!

Studio Pip agradeció a TB ID
  • Jo Joan
    hace 7 años

Deep!

Studio Pip agradeció a Jo Joan
  • PRO
    Studio Pip
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Ground Up Earth Builders, the Smyth has some similar characteristics to the one you reference but, it also has some key differences! With reference to the poll, which do you prefer - shallow or deep? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone for your feed back thus far!

• PRO
    Ground Up Earth Builders
    hace 7 años

Deep

Studio Pip agradeció a Ground Up Earth Builders
  • Sheila Whittam
    hace 7 años

I like the look of a deep seat that goes back so you can curl up and lay back to lounge on - but I think it is for the home owner private - because when friends visit they pad up with extra cushions so that their feet touch the floor.

So my conclusion is the deeper one is for the casual areas of your home. Shallow is more formal - for feet to touch the floor.

Studio Pip agradeció a Sheila Whittam
  • Lyn Ahlefeldt
    hace 7 años

Shallow so I can sit fairly upright for an ageing back and clear chest; happens to many of us. We had to give up an original 70s Tessa Swivel lounge suite because it tilted back though found suitable 60s classic wood-framed chairs instead. Modern sofas are mostly too deep even with my height above average.

Studio Pip agradeció a Lyn Ahlefeldt
  • mazgardiner
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Shallow because I'm short, but I do like to recline.

Studio Pip agradeció a mazgardiner
  • kooky_karen
    hace 7 años

I think it all depends on your height (my backside is close to the ground). Deep is great if the couch sits close to the ground and shallow if it stands higher. I prefer recliners because they accommodate both short and tall people.

Studio Pip agradeció a kooky_karen
  • PRO
    Studio Pip
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It's quite interesting to hear your thoughts guys! There are so many variables so i guess it definitely helps when you can tailor your lounge to suite your preference and/or application.

• Lyn Ahlefeldt
    hace 7 años

Our choices are constrained by country living now but with retirement we will have Canberra access to modern choices, if there are any suitable. So I agree with the casual vs formal living comment and hope for a firm, modular sofa with legs we can shorten if needed.

• wendyjmason1
    hace 7 años

Probably shallow but there are so many other factors to consider. If a person has back problems or is elderly, sinking into a deep sofa can result in the person literally having to pull themselves up and out. For that problem, sitting 'on' the sofa is better. A persons height is also a major consideration. As a rule, I was led to believe that feet should be sitting flat on the floor, the base cushion should be sitting tucked against the back of the knees and seat depth should be close to the length from knees to the bottom. is that any help?

• wuff
    hace 7 años
    I like deep so I can lie down and have a snooze on them zzzzzz
  • Paul Bowditch
    hace 7 años

I prefer deep sofas.

• ka5en
    hace 7 años

I have loved our deep leather lounge for the same reasons that many have stated above. You literally "lounge" and when I had a shoulder operation it was the perfect bed for recuperation, giving my shoulder support while, at the same time, giving me a comfortable and easy sleep.
    However, as I have aged, and also due to my small stature, I am finding that my back begins to ache because the back of the lounge does not support my back firmly enough and my feet don't touch the ground. I am now looking at a smaller, upright and supportive type of lounge. I do have a couple of chairs that fit this but it means that I am not sitting cuddled up to my husband.

• Lyn Ahlefeldt
    hace 7 años

I was inspired by the topic being aired on houzz to look online for new, modernist, suitably firm, short, shallow sofas and chairs. Many online stores do not give dimensions, especially seat depth but found one willing to measure for me. Success and they were not expensive either!

• LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Deep with a higher back to support the shoulders while still looking streamlined. I also like lying on the sofa.
  • Amanda Johnston
    hace 2 años

Shallow and I am tall. support support support.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.