Houzz Logo Print
info44711

A London garden with an extreme level change.

This garden was a really challenging project. When we first saw it, it was a very dark and uninviting space with a 2m level change. Our client is really pleased with how it has been transformed into a bright and airy garden that they can enjoy using and has become an asset to their house.

Before

After

Comentarios (16)

• Ocean Clarke
    hace 7 años

Big fan of the dual patio!

Hamilton Cody Garden Design agradeció a Ocean Clarke
  • PRO
    Tierra Designs Ltd
    hace 7 años
    nice open wires and ballustrade.
  • PRO
    Hamilton Cody Garden Design
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

They are good aren't they? We wanted to keep the view as open as possible.

• M J
    hace 7 años

I love it and think it really good use of space, but I am intrigued. 1. Did this involve moving tons of soil and 2. I suspect this was exceedingly expensive. Any chance of a ballpark figure just out of interest?

• M J
    hace 7 años

p.s. I have to mention the 'before' photo. That is a LOT of bird poo! ;)

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Mandy, I'm glad you like the garden. It didn't involve moving tons of earth, we kept the levels pretty much the same. There is a massive 2.7-3m level change but we made the deck at the top larger and put the stairs to the side. The raised bed and the paved terrace with steps down to the artificial lawn help reduce the overal impact of the height.

And yes, that was a shocking about of bird poo! It was probably one of the most miserable sites we have seen, dark and pooey, lovely! Always satisfying to make a real difference.

I can't remember the exact build figure but I know we had a ceiling of £50,000 which we were comfortably under.

• PRO
    The Classic Barn Company
    hace 7 años

A great looking garden for entertaining.

• M J
    hace 7 años

Thank you for responding Hamilton Cody Garden Design. Often the professionals don't bother, so it is good to see you are listening and taking the time to give a response.

• PRO
    House Martin Online
    hace 7 años

Really interesting how the space has been opened up. Was a waterfall considered on the wall between the two levels? Michael.

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

H Michael. That would have been a great idea, an interesting use of the level change. Unfortunately our client was not interested in having a water feature of any kind. We often design them in and then design them out again once it has been priced.

• brackvillage
    hace 7 años

Do you have a view on the ideal size for a patio?

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Unsurprisingly we do! We find that most people underestimate the size you need for a good terrace. It is usually the amount of circulation space needed that gets forgotten. We like go as generous as we can, for a table seating 8 people we would aim for 4.6-5.6m x 3.4-4.4m depending on the space you have to play with.

• Richard Mulcahy
    hace 7 años

Hi - really love the garden design - changing the steps to the side has opened up so much space! What would be the logistics of building an under cover seating area in the space under the top decking?? was this considered or is it mega expensive??

• PRO
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi there, to be honest we never considered it. The whole idea was to open up the garden and to have as much light as possible. We have created storage areas under other high level decks but this garden had a concrete block retaining wall because of the soil levels. As you can see in the shot below it was a super tricky site.

• PRO
    Timber Decking and Cladding Association
    hace 7 años

Timber decking is the perfect solution for creating useable spaces in sloping gardens.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.