Houzz Logo Print
vicky2882

Calling on all Houzzers!! Boring-living room help!!!

Vicky
hace 7 años
Well, I ALWAYS read questions and (great) answers on this section, so I thought I'd give it a try...
My living room/dining room is -after 6 years of being almost the same- boring!! (At least for me, anyway!)
I was looking for an "ecletic scene" since all my furniture are inherited and the space is not that big.
We love to entertain people every weekend (thus the amount of sitting spaces) and I need the "mini sofa and chair" for my 2-years old (she wouldnt eat elsewhere...)
So I'd LOVE to change it, but I really dont know what to do or where to start.
I'd very very much appreciate your input but -and here is the tricky/challenging part- I cannot buy new furniture (money issues, as you might guess..) and I live in Argentina! (So specific US designer-store-brand suggestions would be... Not very helpful).
I'll include the 4 pictures that I am allowed to: 1 taken from the main entrance; 1 from the other side of the room (dining area); and 1 of each side.
Behind the orange wall with a round mirror there is a bathroom. And what is below that mirror is a fireplace (with the system of a heater)
The dining area is open to the kitchen.
I REALLY look forward to reading your suggestions!! (Upholstering, color scheme, "art", room distribution, etc. all open for discussion!) Thanks in advance!!!!

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

duplicate post

• Vicky
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Please let me know how to erase it! I dont know why it came out three times!! Thanks!
  • quarks
    hace 7 años
    I,ve never suggested anything before so take this with a grain of salt. If it was my place the first thing I would is move the tv to the wall with the green sofa and move the green sofa where the tv is. The round table may now fit between the angle the two sofas make. Buy a long low bookcase/ shelving unit to put your tv on. Don't put it on the wall. This change would give you some place to put stuff when you fist come in, more storage and a clear walking line to the back. The table your tv is on now and the two big brown chairs would go. I would use the very comfortable looking dining room chairs for extra guest seating. Your nice acrylic coffee table could be changed to a long storage ottoman which could then be used for seating when needed. In as much as I like orange, I don't think your room gets enough light for that colour. The area around the dining area is quite dark. I think this is one wall I would wall paper with a bold pattern. I am not a big fan of the fireplace location so when I repainted, I would paint it the same colour as the wall to reduce its focal point. There are lots of good ideas on Pinterest as well on what paint colours to use in a darkish room. Perhaps when you have done that, an addition of colourful pillows or a throw always helps.
  • PRO
    Dill-Thebeau Design Company
    hace 7 años

I think there might be too much furniture in this room. Paint the long wall behind the wood framed sofa orange, pop blue-ish pillows like the opposite sofa color onto the white sofa along with some colors from the painting or small geometric colorful pattern, and then large bohemian pillows, orange red etc pillows over to the blue sofa to help boost the scale of it. Paint the wall that is orange now the sofa blue color as well as the entry door. Move the large art above the smaller sofa and add three pictures above the wood frame sofa that are all the same size but not to big. Keep them abstract. Replace the skirted table with a lighter scale modern table to balance the glass table. A rug could soften the space but I love seeing the floor and having some visual open space. Maybe opt for some smaller chairs on either end of the cocktail table or do away with them all together. Free up the space and you will see the fireplace too. Good luck!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

Can the TV be mounted above the fireplace? Then the TV stand which seems to hold liquor bottles can be moved to the orange wall behind the table, pulling table further into the living area.

Now the two slipper chairs can be placed at the window, angled toward each other with the round table minus the cloth between them. Paint the table, find a cloth that matches the blue and orange theme, whatever it needs to look decent. Add pillows as described above to the chairs and sofas.

Swap the two couches but paint as described above so behind the white couch is blue. The small chair that is currently at the window goes between the sofa and fire.

Your daughter's small chair can be flush against the wall right where it is now. Floor lamp goes between it and sofa.

Place the deer above the white sofa and the abstract above the dining table. Sunburst mirror behind blue couch, off center. Geometric prints are grouped next to it. Be careful about the height you hang everything.

The orange phone rocks. If things still rock, idk.

• Vicky
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you all!! I've thinking about all tour suggestions and I like Lindsay's furniture distribution a lot!! I will definetely work on that this weekend!! (Thanks, Lindsay!!)
    In the meantime, I was shocked that no one attacked (at least not furiously!) the orange walls... Reading all comments, I realise that I've come to almost hate them/the color!
    I would love to have a more "classy" living room and I think the orange walls are the first reason I cant have or I cannot imagine one here.
    So, question: what if I change current orange walls for a green/blueish color? I'd LOVE to have access to a grasscloth wallpaper I saw here in Houzz, but unfortunately it is not available in Argentina!
    So, can anyone recommend some paint color on that scheme?
    I do not dare paint another wall for I think it would make the room even smaller...

BTW, I dont know why it appears to be blue, but small sofa is dark green!
    Again, thanks in advance!!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

This is my favorite eclectic pic:

Kim Parker Interiors · Más información

Are you looking to eclectic simply because you have such a wide range of furniture, or because you truly love it? It would not be an easy style to live with if you're not in love.

The reason I ask is, you can slipcover your dark green sofa with a white cover, and suddenly you have a good basis for a calm grey and white scheme. All the walls can be painted grey, furniture and art will all go nicely, and the orange accents on your dining chairs and decorative things will be a perfect pop of color.

Personally I love eclectic but if you want more class I think grey is the way to go. Or if homes in your area are more colorful, a greyed-down blueish green.

But I actually love the orange.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Good idea to slipcover the green sofa. I'd put it in the window with the floor lamp for a nice reading/coffee corner. If you don't like guests to see TV first thing on entering, then put it opposite the white sofa, but it will be in the traffic path from the front door. You could put the sofa on the door side, TV opposite and flank it with the two chairs. Lower the art so it hangs 5" above the sofa back. Reupholster the dining chairs in a color you love and paint the orange walls to match. You could do the same with the little French side chair and tuck it in left of the fireplace. I don't care for the round skirted table because it takes up space and is too tall for a side table, but you may have storage under it. Try square storage ottomans or baskets to slip under the acryllic coffee table instead. I'd remove the cornice above the window and add drapes there. If they match the wall color they will enlarge the space, but you could match them to the new accent paint to bring that color to the other side of the space. A great treatment for parquet floors is to stain or paint them black. That would really pop your room if you can do it. Put new lighting on your gift list if you can't just outright buy it!

Flat Renovation · Más información

Flat Renovation · Más información

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.