Houzz Logo Print
mayy76

need help with extension uneven

mayy76
hace 7 años

mayy761 minute ago

I need help with my extension. currently we have a utility room next to the living room which is taken up a lot of space and I want to bring that in use. I would wanted to make that in the kitchen and extend it to the extension but the extension is uneven and will make the kitchen look funny. I wanted to make kitchen as L Share so basically knocking off the wall from the utlity going into extension, and making L shape kitchen, please advise.

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    rum architecture
    hace 7 años

That does sound like an interesting problem! do you have any photos, or could you sketch out a basic plan of the existing layout to give us a better idea of the situation?

• mayy76
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

yes please find attached

• PRO
    rum architecture
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the extra information. Some thoughts below,
    apologies if this is stating the obvious!

When you say 'uneven', do you mean the floor level is not
    level? If so that shouldn't be a problem to level out with a screed (depending
    on construction build-up).

The structure between the kitchen and utility room needs to be
    addressed if you would like to remove that partition, It would be advisable to
    get a Structural engineer to review the existing structure and propose some solutions
    for opening up the two rooms.

I assume there is already water/power provision in the
    utility room which would enable a more flexible kitchen layout in relation to
    sink/dishwasher/fridge.

A worthwhile consideration may be whether you intend to open
    up the corner of the 'L' onto the living room, or at least provide a glazed connection
    between the utility room element and living room to ensure this additional
    kitchen space does not still feel like a utility room.

Existing window locations should also be considered,
    although the natural location for counter and kitchen units would be the face
    of the outer walls, window quantity and location may limit this.

I hope those initial thoughts are of some use.

• mayy76
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you so much for your advice, I meant by un even that the extension is the gap builder have left on both sides , there is about 2 feet left on both sides of extension as shown on the floor plan ! This is where it limits to what we can do , if we want to do an L kitchen from utility going back into extrnsion then it won't be straight and will look awkward

• PRO
    rum architecture
    hace 7 años

Have a look at the 'kitchen shelving' ideabook on our Houzz page for some examples of how a reduced depth counter with shelving above could be used to transition between the 2 spaces and retain the feeling of an 'L' shaped layout.

• PRO
    rum architecture
    hace 7 años

One example we have completed of adapting a kitchen layout to an irregular shape is shown below. Here there is an old chimney which projects at the centre of the kitchen, you can see that the counter aswell as the 2 central cabinets top and bottom are a reduced depth (approx 200mm) however you still read the kitchen as one sleek continuous design.

The client says the spaces have actually proved quite useful for cups/glasses at the top and general food storage below the counter.

This same idea could work here - basically instead of shelves above the counter, a reduced depth cabinet would work just as well.

residential refurbishment · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.