jane_caborn

Patio problem

Jane Caborn
hace 7 años
We have just moved into our new house and are loving the bi fold doors and patio however the 5 foot drop with a 5 year old is not so great. I originally wanted to move the steps to one side (still considering) and have a glass rail going across. However the quote was over £2.5k and not something right now we can afford. I really want to keep the square-ness and not obscure the view too much from the lounge over the patio down the garden. The patio is about 8m across. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Ps the preset wooden rail construction was left by the last owners and very wobbly.

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

That sounds a lot:- It pays to shop around as there's always a lot of competition online. How about this system at £98 per linear metre, plus if your handy at the DIY, fitting would be free. Or, get a handyman in that charges per day or by the hour. Franeless glass ballustrades

• Jane Caborn
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you very much. That looks good just need to check if 5 year old daughter safe.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

I'm sure she will be, they are a registered company and the glass conforms to British Standards, but i'm sure they won't mind at all if you ask questions.........why would they? There are many such adverts on Ebay and lots of other Online Ballustrades Companies. Good luck, can't wait to see the finished pictures. By the way, it is possible to get gates for glass ballustrading, so do ask , it'll negate the need to demolish and move the steps.

• Jane Caborn
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you so much for your time. The stairs need to go as quite awkward and steep. For some reason I have taken a dislike much to the despair of my husband who has visions of me with a lump hammer.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

No problem, I know exactly what you mean. ( Nicky here, Hugh's wife - I do most of the advice on the posts! ). Poor old Hugh is in one of our bathrooms as I came home earlier this morning and started hacking the tiles off the wall - I'd just had to look at them for too long - and they were coming off no matter what. I personally love a bit of demolition. I guessed if i started while he wasn't in, then he'd have to finish it !! Tomorrw i get to go tile shopping - Poor Hugh! - Have a good weekend x

• Jane Caborn
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Do you think john would notice if I started on the garden steps? Lol
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

It never ceases to amaze me what they don't notice, so maybe not !!

• Carolina
    hace 7 años
    I like the glass idea, but you could also go for simple metal railing in a dark colour. That won't obscure the view, is easy to install and you can incorporate a gate to prevent a certain tiny person from tumbling down the steps.
    Byrne Road, London · Más información
  • Jane Caborn
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I hadn't thought of that. Love that too! Thank you
  • verdigrisjane
    hace 7 años
    The steps look as if the risers are different heights - which is potentially dangerous. You could make steps going down to the lower level the whole length of the patio. This would give little ones a place to sit and play. Then on the top level you could put oblong planters along the edge, fixing them so they can't be pushed, so that people don't fall off when pushing a chair back from a table, leaving a space for exit for the steps. The planters don't have to be tall and if you plant something like ferns (if shady) or shorter grasses (if sunny) they shouldn't obscure the view when sitting.

Think before you use glass panels. There are clean glass panels and glass panels that a five year old and the elements have streaked and smeared!
  • Jane Caborn
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    That is a really good point. I had considered wooden planters either the side of steps at the bottom but your idea is brilliant. You are right the steps are different heights and quite dangerous. Many thanks. I think I need to spend tomorrow pulling out weeds and having a good think.
  • PRO
    Ultimate Landscapes
    hace 7 años

hi, my idea would be to bolt a handrail to the wall to prevent anyone falling off the edge and possibly reforming the steps to make them even in height and level.

• Jenny Waples
    hace 7 años

could you put a little slide from the patio to the grass might be fun , get rid of the steps they look quite ugly - move to the side, I like the metal railings idea would be easier to keep clean than the glass esp. with little hands around.

• Carolina
    hace 5 años

Looks great! Thanks for the update.

• E D
    hace 5 años

Good things come to those who wait! :)

Quite a transformation. Well done!

• PRO
    User
    hace 5 años

Stunning, so nice to see it finished.

• GJ Dee
    hace 5 años

Thank you for showing us the final pictures- it looks amazing! Enjoy!

• PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    hace 5 años

The budget option is to fix some posts (or 2 by 4's) to the wall firmly and use them to hold a screen or horizontal timber.

• Julie C
    hace 5 años

Wow! Love this!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.