Houzz Logo Print
csimbo

Render the brick - Yes or No!

csimbo
hace 7 años

Hi, We are currently renovating our late 1960's brick house and are thinking of rendering. I'd love to know what others think.

No
Yes
Maybe

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Adam Cox
    hace 7 años

Yes, yes, yes! Also agree with the above comment, the bagged finish is also cheaper. If you like the smoother finish, then a sponge finish is what you are looking for. Would love to see some after photos!

csimbo agradeció a Adam Cox
  • bigreader
    hace 7 años
    No No No. Have a look at "Three birds renovation". They have done some great Sydney renovations with painted brick.
    csimbo agradeció a bigreader
  • csimbo
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks all for your comments. We have seriously considered just painting due to cost, I'll take a look at Three Birds now.

• Bryan Lip
    hace 7 años
    Yes!! Grey !
    csimbo agradeció a Bryan Lip
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    hace 7 años

Do you have drainage issues following a heavy rain? It looks as though all water would be directed to the front of the home.

The problem that I see is not so much the home itself. The garden is completely letting the home down. It does nothing for the street appeal at all.

If you render, and you have drainage problems, you are going to considerably aggravate any moisture problems that you may have with rising damp. You need to allow the bricks to breathe and rendering will effectively stop this.

Rendering is also becoming really dated - and rightly so. In my opinion it should be discouraged at all times.

csimbo agradeció a Timandra Design & Landscaping
  • csimbo
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

There's a drain a the bottom of the driveway which runs underground and right down to the rear of the property- no pooling water and garage remains dry. We are definitely planning on landscaping the front. New stairs down to the front gate- as wide as the arch to make for a much nicer entrance. New retained garden beds either side, with tropical planting to match the backyard. Grass to the verge. Timandra- what do you think about painting the brick? Will it still allow it to breathe?

Thanks all for your comments.

• PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    hace 7 años

It would be interesting to see your home without the garden in front. Your home could have quite a lot of quirky, as in different, character which you need to retain. But this is my opinion only.

Rendering to me is now so commonplace. Buildings have lost a lot of natural character because they have been shuttered out. It becomes a fad, and I'm not a fan of fads.

Your home is different so maximise that difference.

• aconway70
    hace 7 años

The brick is beautiful. Take a closer look. Its the paint choices that are ruining the look. Rethink your garden too to really bring out the brick's magic. I bet there are tones of ochre, warm pinks, blues etc. And have you run your hand over the bricks and felt their earthy texture that can work to store and transmit thermal mass for your citrus etc.

Render or paint is an application of an acrylic or petrochemical based surfacing, and cement that is hungry for resources in its making. There are some bricks, very few, that don't make the aesthetic grade but make sure yours are definitely in that category before taking this irrevocable step.

• LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Wh
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Why not start with the garage door and landscaping and stand back and have a look.
  • Joy Ryan-silveston
    hace 7 años

Dont do it. It will have to be painted in years to come, meantime it attracts mould and moss on the shady damp areas. Moreover, rendering is a passing fad, stick with yr classic brick. If you wants to modernize yr look paint your window trims etc with a striking colour. Eazier and cheaper to do and eazily changed

• Carryaya
    hace 7 años
    No! Stay true to the building. Render is so trendy and everyone will be over it in a few years. Brick is an honest material, why do anything to it? I agree that changing the paint (garage doors etc) could lift the look considerably, an easy upgrade to ease it into the now.
  • Manisha Dossor
    hace 7 años
    We too were contemplating rendering our 1960's house but after lot of visualising, we decided to paint the garage door to match the down pipes and roof tiles. The house facade transformed with such minimal effort and expense! It now looks a lot more contemporary.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Manisher do you have any photos?
  • Manisha Dossor
    hace 7 años
    Found this pic on my Instagram acc. The garage door previously was was a peach pink colour which blended with the brick colour. After painting the garage door grey, the change has been very appealing and noticeable.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años

The srong colours are very effective against the blond brick. Well done!

• pinstripe77
    hace 7 años

keep the brick, repaint trims and garage door as others suggest. spend the money on sandstone paving over existing concrete path. The sandstone with tie in nicely with the brick colour on the entry arch. cool house! keep the plant to the left (b/w arch and garage) - it has great form!

• PRO
    Richard Cole Architecture
    hace 7 años

I agree with the bagged comment above. I think the texture of bagged render would suit the era of this property well.

• john dougan
    hace 7 años
    I believe changes should enhance beauty, but try to maintain historical integrity. if a building is at risk of being torn down and changes can be made to save it, then do it. if appearances can be altered by landscaping then that's the best. if changes are to preserve go for it. just my feelings on it.
  • PRO
    Garden Studio
    hace 7 años

Maintain distinctiveness, history. Accent in other ways.

• PRO
    High End Plastering Pty Ltd
    hace 7 años

It will bring this house to life by rendering.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.