dillsy

Help!! What to paint doors and ceiling?

Jennifer Michaels
hace 7 años
I just painted my great room walls Sherwin Williams Nomadic Desert. I am in the process of doing the baseboard the same color. I love how it looks but don't know what to do with the doors in the room. See picture. I also have French doors and sliding glass door on opposite side of room. After seeing photo, I'm wondering if I should paint ceiling same color as walls as you see a lot of this now. Please give input. Thanks

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    Bearded Builders, Baltimore
    hace 7 años

I would not paint the ceiling the same color of the walls, you could take a couple shades lighter on the ceiling if you did not want it to be white. Lighter ceiling color helps the wall color stand out and it helps the the room appear bigger, rather than smaller if you use the same color as the walls. I would also keep the doors white or match it to the color on the ceiling if you choose to do another color other than white.

• Bev
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I would paint the ceiling the same color as the walls because when you paint a ceiling white, it visually lowers the ceiling which only works when you have cathedral ceilings. A lot of people think a lighter ceiling makes the room look larger but it is completely the opposite! The same color makes the room look larger.

• PRO
    Emma Jonasova
    hace 7 años
    Actually on the contrary, painting the ceiling the same color will lower the height and will look like a box. Leaving the ceiling white will look much better. The door and trim white too. Textile will make only good, will bring colour and texture. Nice curtains, rug or even whole floor carpet would bring some softness, and it can be darker then the walls.
  • Bev
    hace 7 años

This is from House Beautiful and I've seen and heard this more than once:

The biggest wall in a room is the one most of us don't even think about.
    "I never paint a ceiling dead white because all white paint has a bit
    of gray in it, and it takes the room down," designer Athalie Derse says.
    Her suggestion: Choose a cream shade instead.

• Jennifer Michaels
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    A friend painted her doors and door trim to match wall paint and it was very zen (calming ) feeling. What do you think if I do that rather than white?
  • Bev
    hace 7 años

Sounds great to me if that is what you want to do. It's your house.

• PRO
    Emma Jonasova
    hace 7 años
    We have several shades of white, that would be longer discussion. What is important, if we do not want to lower the ceiling, to have lighter ceiling than walls. In this case the white looks good (and seems approx. the same as doors). The room just looks little cold. Textile makes miracles. Pictures and plants too. And they can be changed easily (more than paint).
  • PRO
    Emma Jonasova
    hace 7 años
    At your friends place it may look good, it depends how big, light the room is and also layout matters. Here, it could help to paint everything the same color to calm down the atypic layout (with half walls, not square or rectangular), but the room is big and it could make it worse in terms of having too much of the color. So I would stay with white. And try the textile, plants and pictures first. You can always change it. Little note - the rug doesn't match with the "zen" style a little, you could consider changing it, f. e. for bigger one with calmer design.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

T Eatons Loft Entrance · Más información

Full Home Remodel: Transition · Más información

Clairemont Whole House Renovation · Más información

Latitude Adjustment · Más información
    I favor black for doors and white for ceiling, but that leaves your wood toned cabs in the kitchen...

• Jennifer Michaels
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Emma thanks for your input. I haven't put everything back in room (plants pictures etc) yet as just finished painting walls. My whole room is ceramic tile but do have predominately red karastan area rug. See attached picture but thinking of changing it to sisal. My room used to be painted yellow a color a decorator picked out and I hated. How about I do doors and ceiling 2 shades up from Nomadic-Divine white?
  • Mimi Jensen
    hace 7 años
    I've had both my great rooms Kitchen, LR and dining all one area, both ceiling and walls painted the same, just like your color now and we recently changed the walls to a gray with a white ceiling. I definitely prefer the change with a white ceiling, I would suggest that, it brightens the room and looks gorgeous!
  • Jennifer Michaels
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I do like black doors a lot but I have so much brown and bronze in my great room. My kitchen cabinets are golden oak (would love to either stain or paint them too). I am so trying to lighten/freshen up the room and make little more contemporary than southwest where I live.
  • Jennifer Michaels
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Mimi what color were your doors and trim?
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Here is your room with the ceilings painted the same as your walls. I would not do that. Your room benefits from the white ceiling and white doors. It really looks quite nice as you have it now.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

I wouldn't be afraid of black in the kitchen - it will certainly not be SW! Or try black lowers and white uppers.

Vallejo Street Highrise · Más información

Kitchens · Más información

• PRO
    Emma Jonasova
    hace 7 años
    Dillsy, it could look nice, as soon as it is visibly lighter color than the one on walls. The fridge will attach the eyes more in that case, it will stay bright white alone in the room. Then it would be good to think about the kitchen finish and the rug, as you said. Sisal could be good choice, depends on shade (can vary) and size. And again, the textile brings a lot of color, in case of painting the doors and ceiling, it might be nice, if they are very light color. Your room starts to look nice even now (and for my taste I would keep the white), and the color you have chosen for the walls is very nice. You can go by little steps, and you can always add color.
  • PRO
    Emma Jonasova
    hace 7 años
    I ment curtains could be light color..
  • amylynn19
    hace 7 años

This house, somehow, looks familiar to me. I would suggest painting the ceiling a lighter color. I think it will add a more balanced proportion to the space. Changing the rug would also change and brighten the space. If you decide on sisal test it for foot comfort. 143

• amylynn19
    hace 7 años

Have you asked you husband what he thinks?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.