lidlchris

Help updating the exterior of our new house?

lidlchris
27 de Mayo de 2016

How can we colors to use to modernize the exterior paint of our new home? We are planning to update the posts. We can't decide whether to keep the natural brick or paint it. The roof is newer so we need to incorporate that in as well. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    Archi/Build Group, Inc.

I do not recommend painting the brick. At best it will bubble and peel off, And at worst it will dramatically shorten the life of the brick.

lidlchris agradeció a Archi/Build Group, Inc.
  • PRO
    Acassa Construction Corporation
    The columns at the front porch seem very skinny, out of proportion, with respect to the big A frame above. I would beef them up. I recently cladded some thin steel posts with composite wood and added ledge stone at the base for a contemporary look. I would also lose the red outline. Use only one color.
    lidlchris agradeció a Acassa Construction Corporation
  • partim

Your brown and gray brick is a very nice color, but it has been accented with the wrong colors so it doesn't look its best. I definitely wouldn't paint it.

The trend now is to paint siding in darker colors, about the same darkness as the brick. I think your house would look very good in a medium-dark brownish gray. From a distance, squinting, the siding should look the same as the brick. It would give your house a unified look. Garage door should be the same color. Take some photos of your brick alone, and take them to a paint store. They will guide you. Test some samples on big poster boards before you commit.

As an accent color, for example your front door, use a dull rusty orange. Repeat the colors in your landscaping, for example rust colored fall chrysanthemums. I'd do trim in a dark charcoal gray.

Here's an interior room that has the same gray and brown colors as your brick. I love the orange accents. Use it as your color inspiration.

Brown Davis Interiors, Inc. · Más información

lidlchris agradeció a partim
  • flopsycat1

The Victorian type door with the oval insert does not suit the style of your house. A more modern entry door would be an improvement. Agree with more substantial entry posts. The brown roof limits your paint color choices. Are you keeping the diagonal siding? Any plans to update the landscaping? Consider modernizing the house numbers and light fixtures.

lidlchris agradeció a flopsycat1
  • jbtanyderi
    Get rid of the toothpicks supporting the porch roof. Match the garage door to the brick colour. Paint the wood a very white white or a silvery very pale grey.
    lidlchris agradeció a jbtanyderi
  • partim

I painted the siding the same color as your brick, and gave you dark gray trim. I also moved the walkway further away from the house and across the front of the porch, to make room for shrubs. Hope you like it!

• PRO
    Garten Design - Design Garten

I would also choose a cooler colour for the woodwork e.g. a light salvia green. For the doors, garage and windows use a darker tone of this colour. The entrance will look more welcoming, when the posts are placed at the edge of the triangular roof. At the moment the entrance looks very narrow and small. An I am missing an inviting path which leads to the entrance?

• lidlchris
    Thank you for the comments and suggestions! Yes. we will definitely be 'beefing up' the posts, updating landscaping, fixtures and such. we would like to put in a walkway down the center leading to the front door. My main concern is colors and do you think we should add shutters? thanks!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

While you are beefing up the posts I would also make the entry pad wider and put the post out to the edge of the roof of the overhang it would give balance to the fron t of the house anice double door with lots of glass and I would tend to choose a paint with a little more gray in it to go with the brick. A sidewalk that goes fron the street to the door is always a more welcoming look than one you can’t see from the street some big planters with colorful plants on the wider entry and much bigger stainless lights NO SHUTTERS

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader

I assume you are keeping the angled siding. If so then yes paint it a color that ties it to the brick visually. Larger posts would also help "beef up" the look. If you are interested I have an online service to do mock ups to show people what their house could look like with different colors, doors, etc. If you're interested it's Creative Visual Concepts.

• lidlchris
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! Yes, keeping the angled siding for now.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.