Karen Heffernan
hace 7 años
Is it custom? Or can it be bought?
MCM redux, 1960 -2010 Home & Garden Show · Más información

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    Studio Cleary Landscape Architecture
    hace 7 años

Hi Karen, I'm sorry for a month's delay in giving an answer! I just now noticed your question. Yes, this particular one was custom-made (for an indoor Home & Garden Show)....and not likely to stand up to the elements outside for more than a year or so. But no reason it couldn't be duplicated as a "real" garden accessory that would.

Each block is 12" x 12". If you see my other photos related to this you'll see that in the "front yard" I made a privacy wall section that copied a popular screenblock pattern from back in the day: Champagne Bubbles (or Swiss Cheese, but I like the first name better; sounds more '50s, don't you think?) I use those closed-cell-foam insulation boards, 4' x 8', which you'll find at the big orange or big blue home improvement stores....very versatile & easy to work for such props. Usu. light-blue or pink, and come in several thickness options. And espec. great for that b/c it can get a rough texture from sawing or bumping, or sanded smooth with little effort, which makes it look just like concrete under the paint. Biggest insul board thickness is 2", so I spray-contact-cemented two back-to-back, which is exact thickness as real 4" thick concrete blocks in front yard; this wall-hanging piece you're asking about was just meant to be decorative, to echo the much bigger one seen through windows, so it's 2" thick. (And honestly, a last-minute bit of inspiration rushing like a madman to finish on time, using leftover scraps.) In this case I used several sizes of hole saws & freehand sawing, after making a thin wood template for each block to pencil-trace one by one, rotating it this way'n'that. But all that's just to satisfy your curiosity; what you really need to do is make it out of concrete. (You might want to look into getting ahold of lightweight concrete.)

If it were me I'd prob. make a wood box with hinged sides & bottom for a mold, with various sizes of 2" width circles of something stiff enough to keep circular shapes but able to be peeled away after curing; maybe some kind of stiff plastic sheeting from office supply store? Not bad idea to spray all with a concrete mold releasing agent first. I think PVC pipes of various sizes attached to bottom, my first thought, would be a real problem to remove from the cured concrete. As for the assembled 12" x 12" blocks, I might fabricate thin wireframe backing support for unseen backside perimeter; "glue" squares together with either actual mortar or similar look with construction adhesive dusted with fine sand. This piece in photo was soley wall-supported, but the real thing will be way heavier; will need to be designed supported from ground.

Karen Heffernan agradeció a Studio Cleary Landscape Architecture
  • Karen Heffernan
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

thank you so much for the info, we are currently negotiating buying a midcentury modern home, and I would love to do something like this

• PRO
    Studio Cleary Landscape Architecture
    hace 7 años

Hello again Karen, thank YOU for your patience in wading through what was probably "T.M.I."! Best of luck with your house negotiations. You may have already discovered this but there ARE a few manufacturers around the country --- a very few --- who still make some screenblock in various patterns, but none, to my knowledge, producing this "Bubbles" style. So depending on where you plan to use the piece --- inside or out --- insulation board may in fact be the best medium. I'm developing a weekly blog on Midcentury Modern garden design, so if you would like to contact me at studiocleary[at]gmail[dot]com, I'll see that you get on the list for announcing its debut.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.