Houzz Logo Print
jillian_young58

Opinion of hood?

jillian_young58
hace 7 años
So we had venetian plaster on our kitchen hood that started cracking at the bottom...it would have cost big $$ to fix it, so instead we replaced the bottom part with wood and added a crown molding to the top. The color of the wood matches our island (kinda hard to tell in the photo). My question is...what do you think of it? Do you think it would look better if the beige plaster part was wood paneled too? Or do you think it would look better if it was all white to match the cabinets? Thanks for any feedback!

Comentarios (61)

• Angel 18432
    hace 7 años

Perhaps you could try staining it darker to match your island. The pics shows it lighter, prob to match ceiling, but it could be diff in "real life".

• Lila
    hace 7 años

I think it looks great. It pulls in the island and the darker tiles. Now it looks intentional. Painting might or might not improve the look. I wouldn't take the chance.

• PRO
    Anastasia O'Connor and Associates
    hace 7 años

My vote is to paint. I love the ceiling!

• shirlpp
    hace 7 años

After seeing the full kitchen, I still say white.

• PRO
    Anastasia O'Connor and Associates
    hace 7 años

Agree with shirlpp. Otherwise, the hood is competing with the island. It's a busy kitchen and the white hood would give the eye a resting place.

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 7 años

I like the wood trim. Personally I'm a fan of darker woods, like that on your chairs. But I like that it stands out. You kitchen is lovely and this hood add character and a different tone from the cookie cutter kitchens.

• wacokid
    hace 7 años
    it looks great as is. You are asking the wrong people here, they wear "white goggles" and can't see anything else....Painting nice stained wood, would be crime.....
  • shirlpp
    hace 7 años

Not sure who the wrong people are - since this forum is for anyone who wants to answer. I personally do not care for white kitchens, but in this case, I am calling it as I see it, just as you are - wacokid.

• Irene Y
    hace 7 años
    Very creat solution! Like it as is and it match and brings out the accent of your backsplash and feature behind the range.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 7 años

The hood belongs in a kitchen twice the size of yours. It completely overpowers the cabinets, especially the ones to its left.

The hood appears as part of the structure of the house, and needs to stand alone, instead of having the cabinets jammed into it.

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Our kitchen actually is about twice the size...we have a whole other set of cabinets with a beverage fridge & espresso machine (to the left of the door posted in my recent photo). thank you all for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
  • Susan Davis
    hace 7 años

I love it just as it is! And it sounds like you love it to. Leave it and enjoy it and move on!

• User
    hace 7 años
    I love the hood. I think its beautiful and not cookie cutter. It is eye catching and goes beautifully with the rest of your kitchen.
  • jhmarie
    hace 7 años

Computers are notoriously bad at getting colors true. I would ask friends you know who have a good sense of color and who can see the hood in person. I think the hood is lovely.

• KD
    hace 7 años
    I'd try painting just the plaster part to match the cabinets, see if that ties it all together.
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 7 años
    Leave well enough alone lol, it looks fabulous, you clever creative soul. Love it when making bad into great
  • km kane
    hace 7 años
    Looks perfect as is.,love the way you matched the wood. Fantastic solution!
  • flopsycat1
    hace 7 años

Take a piece of white or off white poster board, cut it to size, tape it over the wood panel, step back and see how it looks. If you like it, paint the wood. If not, you've one less project to tackle.

• luvourhome
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Keep it the way it is now is my vote. Why? I don't care for the weird angles of the cabinets or how they jut in and out. The lay-out of the kitchen is weird. It's badly done. Yep.

Lovely tiled back-splash and granite on the island! But it's a shame the cabinets and hood are all gibbled in there. And the stove is weirdly placed. Your island is angular. The hood and stove *may* have looked better in the corner. At least you can see it's angular. Anyway...

I'm not a fan of big honking fan hoods and wish builders and designers would quit calling them "features." They are necessary evils if you ask me. It's kind of like calling the radiator in your car a "feature." No one cares, but try and drive a car without one.

***Please keep it as is and save your money for the little tyke's/tykette's education.*** Neither paint nor the wood will rescue that kitchen design. Good choice not to re-plaster!

If you did this kitchen yourselves, you gave it a good try. If you paid a professional for this kitchen? You need a refund! If the hood works and serves the purpose, you're good to go.

If you stare at the hood all day, you have way too much free-time. If your friends come over and belly-ache about the fan? Tell them to cook or find new friends.

You will also drive yourself crazy asking for people's opinions on here. If you like it? Keep it. If you want it white? Paint it white.

Save the money. Seriously. I'm probably the only one here that will give it to you straight, lol. JK. I'm not a pro, so I don't have to worry about scaring away potential customers. ;-) Cut your losses and move along. You are now several thousand dollars ahead for that RESP...you're welcome.

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    luvourhome, not every home has clean lines...my house is full of crazy angles as it was built to take advantage of the ocean view (you get a view from every room). We did the best we could! It's a step up from what was there originally!
  • luvourhome
    hace 7 años

@jillian--awesome with ocean view. Lovely! But it doesn't change my view of the kitchen. Sorry. It's not done well.

Instead of the giant hood, consider replacing it with a more slim-lined one. At least it will draw the attention away from all the juts and such.

Yes, I get the whole idea of doing the best you can. And yes, your home doesn't have clean lines. I get that. But your stove and hood placement is the elephant in the room. Your kitchen would have been better-looking if you had kept the stove on the island, ironically.

It's like trying on a wedding dress in the store and you'd ask me if the big bustle works at the back. No, it doesn't. It's my opinion. It's making the butt look too big...

This is an example of good integration with the ceiling, cabinets and molding.

This one also works.

This one also works. It looks like it's part of the cabinet and not an after-thought.

The bottom one also works.

The comments about the molding and variations were spot on. @rustyempire. Proportion and scale@PPF.

Anyway...all good wishes and enjoy the ocean view. :-)

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I have 14 foot angled cedar ceilings (goes from 14 foot on one side...8 feet on opposite side). Other than sticking the oven on the island (which I hate), how would you have laid this kitchen? all your photo examples are with regular/straight ceiling heights.
  • jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    other photos to show ceiling (this was the hood before it started crumbling and before we added extra cabinets to the right of it). we also have more cabinets/beverage center to the left of my dining table.
  • luvourhome
    hace 7 años

Thank-you. I'm not going to give anymore input. If you didn't consult an architect? You needed one. All the best.

*I am editing my reply because you took the time to post new pics. Sadly, you were closer *before* you took out the window and added the bank of cabinets!

• flopsycat1
    hace 7 años

Seeing your latest pics, I think the range hood looked better before you added the wood since it blended in more with the background. Painting the wood may be a good idea. (BTW, it takes a thick skin to post on public sites.)

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

Jillian, it pains me to say this b/c I love your style hood & I love stained wood, but I don't think it works on the L of your counters. You have a wonderful high-BTU 48" range that requires a good sized vent, but I think you need something w/ lower profile, or at least the appearance of a lower profile. You seem to have invested a lot into it, but the insert could be used in something less visually obtrusive. At a minimum, use color to de-emphasize its size. If your hood were in center of long wall, I'd say keep it for sure. But to co-opt a common expression, it's about location, location, location.

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    thanks Bruce & flopsycat! I'm going to get some poster board this weekend and feel it out. luvourhome, I did have an architect...actually one of the most renowned in the area. I loved my plaster but it started falling apart, and sadly I needed more cabinets for my growing family.
  • luvourhome
    hace 7 años

@flopsycat. Agreed on all accounts.

Having said that, if OP insisted on having that style of range hood? It would have been better to lose the small window above it and to have fully extended the plaster hood to the ceiling, and keep the larger window.

I would have added a tall, narrow bank of built-in cabinets beside the fridge and another small, short built-in glass-front cabinet above the fridge--but the wood facings would run to the ceiling.

It's actually the loss of light from the bigger window and adding the second bank of cabinets that really killed it. The range hood now looks like a big zit on an otherwise okay complexion. It would have had at least some concealer before. The angled ceilings are not the real problem.

So close before...

• luvourhome
    hace 7 años

@Jillian. An architect came up with that? Oh my word. He's renowned alright---he needs to go back to school. Bleep.

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

BTW, I love you ceiling. I have rough-hewn cedar in LR, but straight, not your chevron pattern. I went rough-hewn hoping to dampen sound w/ then oak floors & front wall of windows.

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    thanks Bruce! I love them too...yours sound really nice as well. The previous owners had them white washed, so we had them all sand blasted.
  • luvourhome
    hace 7 años

Another person on the site just posted her newly finished kitchen today. Everything integrates well, including the hood. It "connects" with the ceiling. It looks built-in and meant to be there. It is all well-proportioned. It looks gorgeous. This is not my favourite style of kitchen, but I am sincere with my compliment to her post. I'm sorry.

• Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años

Amen JH. Let's hope it sticks.

• shars55
    hace 7 años
    Jhmarie......I couldn't agree more!!!!!
  • flopsycat1
    hace 7 años

People post questions on this site requesting help with issues that, for whatever reason, are important to them. I will never understand what some responders get out of being just plain mean and nasty. Perhaps they are seeking their own reality show.

• shirlpp
    hace 7 años

Here, Here...Jhmarie - You are so right, and especially when they said they were done.

• shars55
    hace 7 años

Shirlpp.....exactly! What happened to "I'm not going to give anymore input"??

• tgb1
    hace 7 años

Well evidently she found more examples to sledgehammer home her 'I'm so much better and smarter than you' viewpoint...

• User
    hace 7 años

The the crown is overwrought. A simpler crown treatment would be more effective. The bottom piece is a nice accent. The upper trim needs to reflect the same simplicity that lets the wood speak louder than the complex shape of the wood.

• PRO
    Mark Spangler Architecture
    hace 7 años

I'm never a fan of wood hoods. There are many that are beautiful. I think it has something to do with wondering why you'd put something that could burnover a stove top. Metal is always my first choice. I would have suggested a copper or refinished metal band

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Haha thanks, as someone said earlier...you need thick skin to post on these types of forums. I was obviously looking for feedback and I love honest opinions, but there is a way to be constructive with criticism. Thankfully 99% of you were really helpful here! :)
  • Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

Nothing to do w/ vent hoods, but it's not only on this forum that one observes the irrational negativity. My wife and I have come to the conclusion that some believe they can demonstrate some sort of sophisticated expertise by being negative, i.e. the more one can find wrong w/ something, the more they must know about it, and the more bitterly they express themselves, the more sophisticated their expertise.

• Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años

You're a great sport Jillian. But do feel free to offer your critique here... Fire away

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/a-lifelong-waterfall-dream-comes-true-dsvw-vd~3923793

• jillian_young58
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Great idea to tape up poster board! definitely helps to minimize it!
  • Bruce Crawford
    hace 7 años

Boyz offa da hood again, but I really like your bksplsh, esp. the insert w/ Arabesque field tile inside it. Your white posterboard mock-up makes big improvement. Really de-emphasizes hood.

• Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años

Perfect. True colors revealed. The jury rests.

• Kelly D
    hace 7 años

very charming. I like it!

• felizlady
    hace 7 años
    The wood trim is perfect. I would't change anything.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 7 años

Thought of your kitchen:

Portfolio · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.