emmelinewe

Yes or no to gnomes?

Emmeline Westin
hace 7 años

Two years ago I asked [if you had a gnome in your garden[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/garden-gnomes-dsvw-vd~973825?n=56) - and many of you said you did! But I recently read that gnomes are suffering a bit of a decline and wanted to know if this is true - especially after seeing this display at Clerkenwell Design Week.

So gnomes - are they hot or not?

Comentarios (37)

• PRO
    The Bulb Co
    hace 7 años

I think gnomes are definitely one of those love or hate things! Personally I don't like them as think unless you spend time to keep them looking nice they quickly end up looking dirty and old. Many gardens you see with gnomes in them are ones that look like they really should belong in the bin!

• Sven
    hace 7 años

They look nice in the pic but naff in almost everyone else's garden.

• gilliifer
    hace 7 años

Horrible

• Lila 1410
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Not for me, thanks. (But dirty and old is how they should look, or carved out of wood, definitely not like the ones in that photo.)

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

My daughter thought it would be funny to have gnomes in our garden, It's beautifully landscaped and upkept by my wife, who is OCD about the garden and plants. We now have allsorts of gnomes as my daughter continues to find new ones for birthdays, christmas, fathers day etc. We have solar gnomes, welsh gnomes, police gnomes ( i'm ex met1 ), gnomes on swings, soooo many!

• k_sedgley
    hace 7 años

Colourful picture however in our climate they wouldn't be stood up for long. I agree with the other comments when I have seen them in gardens they look tatty and dirty most of the time. But I am sure children see them differently.

• PRO
    Conbu Interior Design
    hace 7 años

Not for me but the colourful gnomes look good in picture!

• Andrew Millar
    hace 7 años
    nope
  • Kayte Mosse
    hace 7 años

creepy.

• sue Campbell-Gillies
    hace 7 años
    Nooooooooo!
  • championcat
    hace 7 años
    gno to gnomes
  • Kayte Mosse
    hace 7 años

Ha ha thats very funny about the gnomes moving closer to Flo G's house. Excellent idea!

• hortonhearsawho2013
    hace 7 años

Man About The House - I'm going to be grinning for a while after reading your comment! The idea of gnomes in my garden (which I'm obsessed with it looking good) horrifies me. Yet it's just the sort of thing I would've done to my parents and what my kids will probably do to me!

• Amanda Robinson
    hace 7 años

Nothing wrong with a discreet gnome in the bushes. I inherited one 'mooning'.

• ianthy
    hace 7 años

I agree in the bushes hiding maybe ok but certainly not in view to anyone enjoying the garden or looking out into the garden.

• moiraford
    hace 7 años
    Love em! We have/had one in the front garden as a kitsch naff homage, and our local DPD driver nicked him and takes photos of him all over Devon and Cornwall. Last seen on fistral beach. He's back now, shattered.
  • moiraford
    hace 7 años
    Tired, not shattered!! You know what I mean..
  • PRO
    The Classic Barn Company
    hace 7 años

yes if their fed into a food blender !

• gold895
    hace 7 años

Definitely NO. I have a couple of stone cats and that's as far as it goes.

• Sarah Stanley
    hace 7 años
    I am in the process of buying a fixer upper in quite a posh area. A work pal of mine bought me a gnome with a pot as a jokey present when I left work and I'm considering putting Gnomeo in my new front garden in West Sussex just to remind me of all my colleagues back in Essex - do you think it will upset my new posh neighbours, or could he be a conversation starter?
  • Fred Wonder
    hace 7 años

Absolutely. I think the'yre fabulous. Mine are old and grumpy looking, peeking out from within the tall flowers or peering over into the water at the edge of the pond. I touch up their paint jobs with artists' acrylic every few years to keep them fresh-ish.

• PRO
    Ocean Home Designs
    hace 7 años
    Such a Marmite subject!
    Definitely a no from me. They were the first things out when we moved in.
  • lorentzville
    hace 7 años

Yes yes yes!!! Love gnomes, and the more colourful the better! Not that I do adorning the garden with heaps of figures or anything, but a gnome or two adds so much character and colour. Don't like the single colour ones though.

• Daisy England
    hace 7 años
    Tacky. It's a no from me.
  • PRO
    Architectural Heritage
    hace 7 años

All garden ornament is worth considering - I think it probably reflects the character of the garden owner so if you're classical or traditional you'd probably go for 18th century stone staddlestones or a bronze sculpture like this griffin below but if you're a bit whacky or retro why not nurture a gnome or two!?

• PRO
    J&S Kitchens Southport
    hace 7 años

ha! you've got to go all out - its all or nothing. just 1 or 2 don't work at all!

• PRO
    Architectural Heritage
    hace 7 años

Would agree,

• insightt
    hace 7 años

Creepy.....

• keen bean
    hace 7 años

no WAY. Awful. shudder. Was given one once..... he went to the charity shop after sitting for years at the back of a shelf in a garage....

• Luciana
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

We ended up being the (not so proud) owners of a few gnomes thanks to my mother-in-law. Couple of years ago, we asked my MIL to water the garden while we were away on holiday. When we got back and I went out there to do a bit of tidying up, I found 1 gnome under a bush. Then another one beneath the maple. A bit later one more in the blue grass...

The sneaky monster (meaning my MIL) hid 5 tiny little gnomes in our garden. I totally love my MIL, she's a great lady, but that doesn't mean I'm not aware of her devious nature :)). She knows I hate gnomes, but bought them anyway knowing that I'd always keep her presents no matter how outrageous (I could probably write a book about some of the stuff she's got me over the years...).

The problem is, she hid them so well, it took me a few good hours to find 4 of them. The 5th gnome is still out there somewhere in the vastness of our garden, probably never to be found, but forever haunting me.... :))

• PRO
    GHS Special Projects
    hace 7 años

Took me a while to spot the gnome in the comment from Luciana think its because I was expecting to see a regular sized gnome! Can't believe how divided everyone is on the subject, been great fun reading all of the comments :-)

• Marisol Garces
    hace 7 años
    Absolutely not!
  • Denise Roberts
    hace 7 años
    Arh!!! Poor gnomes getting a rough deal! I hate them. But I bet you any money if they become the rage 'vintage' you won't be able to buy them for pennies!!!
  • teenytinyhouse
    hace 7 años
    Sven (who I've mentioned before) is a friendly and cheesy addition to my home (my partner blames my Germanic heritage for the gnome). However, be warned. Not all gnomes are benign...
  • Jan Johnson
    hace 7 años

One or Two that's all

• Fred Wonder
    hace 7 años

Oh please may I have Three or Four if my garden is very, very big?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.