Houzz Logo Print
miss_mud

what type of curtains or blinds for this open plan living area?

miss_mud
hace 7 años
Hello there

Hope you are well!

I'm lucky enough to have tonnes of light by London standards in my newly refurbished apartment.
I personally love the light and privacy is less of an issue because I'm a first floor flat in a very high ceiling large house.

However I guess I need some kind of curtains or blinds at least for insulation for winter. Particularly since the main big sash windows are single glazed until I can save up to replace them!

So 2 qns:

- Big sash windows :curtains or blinds? Space is very small!! Please note I have radiators underneath.
What should I buy and where from?

- kitchen window (opposite big sash windows)
Do I even need anything here? Its double glazed... But I don't know if it's a requirement to have it covered? And my preference would be not close blinds almost always.

Please excuse the mess!!

Many thanks in advance!

Comentarios (9)

• Grace Bloggs
    hace 7 años
    I was going to say the same. Lots of people put frosted style sticky back film on to add privacy but allow light. Of course you can't then people watch or peel it off very easily.
    miss_mud agradeció a Grace Bloggs
  • PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    hace 7 años
    I would definitely not use curtains, they will shrink the room! If you want to add a soft touch and texture you could use Roman Blinds p, which fold so you can keep them up like a pelmet.
    I would either use white linen, or something neutral like this one called Postcard Natural from Web Blinds.
    http://www.web-blinds.com/postcard-natural-roman-blind/

For the kitchen I would use a faux wood, wide slotted blind, which is moisture resistant, can be pulled right up or be tilted to provide just the right amount of privacy or shade. When open it is quite unobtrusive, see this sample
    http://www.web-blinds.com/innovation-chic-white-fauxwood-5/

Last but not least, get a good company to draft seal company your sash Windows, makes a huge difference and preserves energy. Can highly recommend Ventrolla.
    http://www.ventrolla.co.uk/locations/ventrolla-head-office?gclid=CjwKEAjwsYW6BRCTzvu5y8DPhi0SJABnGLlHlEdiU6T4Mu2axO7Psj21m6Zj9izA-3RmEaLBvjnV6hoC1L3w_wcB
    miss_mud agradeció a ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
  • miss_mud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi, Interesting idea that I did not think of! I quite like the idea of looking out of the windows though... I am on the first floor and very high up (basement + ground floor flat with 4m ceilings) and I have 3 metre ceilings myself... so it's more of a battle between curtains vs. blinds that can add warmth but not too much bulk to the room, you know?

My concern on curtains is that I have a radiator underneath + curtains seem rather over whelming?

• miss_mud
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi ROOM4STYLE,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Much appreciated. :)

Do you know how much the draught proofing is likely to cost? They are huge sash windows...not at all in good condition I am afraid, but after a very expensive reno, I have no money to replace them.

Also, thanks for the web-blinds referral. I just ordered some fabric samples.

Thanks again!

• PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    hace 7 años
    Last time I used Ventrolla they charged £330 for a very large sash window. Best to call them for a quote. Must say I never regretted that investment as the Windows also run much smoother and don't rattle afterwards. Good luck!
  • gracie!h
    hace 7 años
    Plantation blinds ~ light and privacy x
  • PRO
    Web-Blinds
    hace 7 años

Hi ROOM4STYLE, thanks for recommending us and nice choices - you've chosen two of our customers' favs! As others have said, blinds are the perfect solution to keep all the lovely light you get in your home. And Fauxwood is a great suggestion for the kitchen, helping you to keep little splashes at bay!

Enjoy your beautiful new home!

Holly

• PRO
    Atom Interior Styling
    hace 7 años

I would say for the kitchen to have a roman blind just for show, however there would be the option there to pull down if you wish. You can choose your own fabric and have one made, its a fairly small window so should be reasonable. Unless of course you find one that you like pre made. For the sass windows I would go for White shutters, the ones that you can open to allow easy access for the opening of your windows.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.