Houzz Logo Print
desertjen

Help working within an ugly kitchen and limited options

desertjen
hace 7 años

Hi all! I'm new to Houzz! My name is Jen and I'd love your help!

I need to update this kitchen a little bit. I cannot change the floors and the only counters I can install is an in-stock laminate carried at either Home Depot or Lowes. Those choices in my area are Wilsonart Milano Amber, Formica Ouro Romano, Wilsonart Ink Vesta, or Wilsonart Tumbled Roca. I did order a new single bowl stainless steel sink and chrome pull down faucet. I ordered stainless appliances and will hang an OTR stainless microwave. I also took down the ugly light fixture and ordered a nice chrome chandelier and chrome door pulls. I intend to paint the cabinets and the walls. I'd appreciate any advice on what to do with my constraints!

I'm leaning toward Ouro Romano, but then what do I do with paint? Or would you make a different suggestion?

The first photo is the kitchen obviously. We have since rehung the cabinet doors. I included a different photo but I don't have another of clear counters (the house is long distance from me).

Existing tile. Not changeable :(

Existing laminate

Cabinet Pulls

Sink

Faucet

Chandelier

Ouro Romano

Amber Milano

Thank you so much for any input you can provide me!

Comentarios (20)

• desertjen
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

OP here. Here are the sample chips on top of a piece of the tile.

Milano Amber

Ouro Romano

Ink Vesta

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

I think you should choose a cabinet color based on the color of the floor. Only then should you choose the countertop. The current countertop is really not that bad. I like the simplicity of your cabinets and they will be nice after they are painted.

• M
    hace 7 años
    What color were you thinking of painting the cabinets? If you stay with the current wood tone then I'd paint the walls a warm green tone. Green and wood look beautiful in the kitchen (in my opinion
  • desertjen
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The house is my father in law's flip. So everything has to be neutral. My first thought on the cabinets was white or cream.

• Bev
    hace 7 años

Another color that looks great with wood are soft yellows. If you do paint the cabinets a color that matches the flooring, yellow would be perfect for the walls!

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

I agree with your laminate choice. If the house is a flip the walls should stay neutral.

desertjen agradeció a emmarene9
  • Casandra383 Dean
    hace 7 años
    If this is a flip; I wouldn't paint the cabinets either. Not everyone loves painted cabinets.
  • A Allison
    hace 7 años
    We remodeled a small kitchen last year and the first photo is an example of the lighter countertop example you provided plus white cabinets. We bought an in stock countertop from Lowe's while we waited for our quartz countertops to be installed, shown in the second picture.
  • livinginsb
    hace 7 años
    The only way to make white appliances work, is to have white cabinets. Then use the floor as your color reference for a backsplash. Even for a flip house, a backsplash goes a long way in creating appeal. Hardware should not look cheap, this is often such a mistake.
  • desertjen
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks for the feedback. I am getting stainless appliances in there in place of the white. I hesitate to leave the oak cabinets because I think they look really outdated.
  • PRO
    BERT Construction, LLC
    hace 7 años
    I definitely would not paint the cabinets either. A painter who knows what they are doing should charge $3k plus to do it right. Probably not worth it on a flip. Paint the walls white and a dark countertop. Spend some money on lighting since it doesn't look like there is any other than the chandelier. Some can lights and under counter LEDs will go a long way in adding value.
  • PRO
    BERT Construction, LLC
    hace 7 años
    A tiled backsplash would help also but just be sure to get rid of the existing 4" one that's there.
  • Theresa Holt
    hace 7 años
    I would leave the cabinets alone. Stainless will look just fine.
  • peleshokl
    hace 7 años

Laminate choice either Ink Vesta or Oruro Romano. The handles are busy -- chose a simply stainless handle (not holes). Add a backsplash tile would be better than spending the money on painting the cabinets. Sink, faucet and light look great. If you don't spend the money on backsplash tile, choose a bold that's complementary to the counter.

• Heather Macdonald
    hace 7 años
    paint the cabinets white or cream, whatever is the background of the oruro romano, then a dark backsplash, picking up the shade in the counter.
  • desertjen
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Thanks all! I went to another Lowes and found another countertop option that will work!

I took these photos as a general idea of colors, obviously realizing my cabinets are different and I won't be doing green backsplash.

I'm considering not painting the cabinets, which seems to work too (second and third pic of same counter with oak cabinets). And bonus is that I have some of that backsplash tin tile left from another project.

Two votes against those cabinet pulls. Hmmm ok I will reconsider those. Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

• Usuario de Houzz-830128928
    el último año

I have the Oruro Romano countertops with the waterfall and about 2" backsplash. I have oak cabinets, black sink and a nickle color faucet. I need to know what color backsplash do I need. I am thinking a solid color, maybe white?

• ffpalms
    el último año

I think it’s wise to rethink the pulls. The ones you chose look like they would snag clothing. I would also rethink the sink. It’s much easier to clean a sink with rounded corners. Unless your current countertop is damaged, I would not change them. They are a nice neutral tone now, and the new owners may want to change them to their own taste. The other countertop options shown are too busy for me. The faucet you chose is gorgeous! Once the new appliances are in is the time to choose a new light fixture over the sink, you may find you need something to counteract the stainless steel.

• ffpalms
    el último año

Could you clarify if this remodel is indeed for resale?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.