Houzz Logo Print
jar_hdz

Staircase landing?

JaR Hdz
hace 11 años
Can someone tell me what the purpose of this little landing is? Any ideas on how to decorate it or what it's proper name is? Lol.

Comentarios (53)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 11 años
    If you like big books, I would make it a display for some dramatic black and white prints
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I like the idea of placing like a cypress tree type shrub on each side of the window.. I'll have to get my husband to water them though. Lol. Hmm.. I don't want to overfill the space, but I don't like that it's so plain and empty. Thanks y'all!
  • PRO
    Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
    hace 11 años
    Make sure you don't overload the space with stuff, as you're going to have a lot of dust. This is direct sunlight and dust will accumulate if you add too much!!
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I'm thinking crown molding around the window and a little foliage would do..
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    That sounds really nice... If you want a dramatic look; paint an accent color on that wall. Here's a visual I've created for you. Custom window treatment by Best Window Treatments.com, Ceramic Decorative Planters, Lighted Scones and if you don't want to water your plants every other week. Just use artificial plants; they give you the same affect. Digital Imaging by Tina
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Very cool Tina! I like the sconce idea a lot! We have a thing for sconces. Lol. We used to have them along the wall up the stairs in our last home. We currently have some in our dining room and bedroom. Lol. Thank you!
    I have considered buying artificial topiary plants because I like things being extremely tidy and symmetrical so I would have to spend a lot of time trimming and shaping a real plant. Lol.
  • orangecamera
    hace 11 años
    I'd start with window treatments first. Assuming there are bedrooms upstairs, you'll want some privacy from the street side. After you install window treatments, you'll see how much blank wall space is left, and can then choose the right sconces and plants. Consider whether you want the plants to be seen from the outside. You could do a tall one in the center - maybe even a small tree.

You said you like sconces, but are they really needed there? You already have a nice hanging light. A pair of something else (pictures, mirrors, decorative textiles, etc.) should be considered.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    You’re so very welcomed! I'm glad I was able to share some insight. Yes artificial topiary is the way to go...LNT (Linens and Things online) has a good assortment of plants. I do digital imaging photos online, so if you’re undecided on your rooms style/color or decor and need a helping hand. Please come visit my website www.brentsinteriorpainting.com (Digital Imaging-just click on the camera) and allow me to assist you. Good Luck with your decorating!! I'm sure it'll turn out beautiful....HOUZZ-Digital Imaging by Tina
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Orangecamera, you are so right. Sconces aren't needed, but a pair of anything would work. Actually in December I did have a small christmas tree in the middle.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    hace 11 años
    bookshelves, display area for family photos, plant ledge (i'd change out the drywall ledge to something water proof though) - what do you collect? display that here in a unique organized way.
    Digital Imaging by interiorsBYDESIGNinc.

I'd simply put a repetition of a green plant, with a collection of white vases to give the area some lift and life. Good Luck
  • vleroux
    hace 11 años
    i would definetely do a shelf that falls over the edge like it's built-in and supposed to be used like it. love the idea of a big and tall plant on one of the side of the window, don't like the curtains as shown.good point about framing the window so it looks finish. nice books next to the plant. no curtains! or if you do, keep it light like a sheer: the natural light is lovely! and no bencehes: it's way too high. good luck with this little project:it can have a nice result!! oh! and do it in a way that it's you and connected to the rest of the house!
  • vleroux
    hace 11 años
    i forgot to mentionned that you should keep this wall this colour or lighter:not darker!
  • lefty47
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    HI -- . It is just an architectural feature builders like to make to irritate home owners and designers -- just kidding !!. It's just a display shelf and I wouldn't junk it up too much. Just keep it simple and not make it a burden to keep dusted. Display in odd numbers of items or just one big long decor item like a piece of driftwood . A small collection of family photos some sitting and some hung on the wall . Decorate like it is a fireplace mantel. Many ideas on Houzz for doing mantels. .
  • Kathleen Amatangelo
    hace 11 años
    It is a bit hard to tell how far from the floor this ledge is, but I would do a finish on the "table" portion. Skinning with wood the returns around the windows and adding molding around the window would be lovely. The "table" portion could be painted the same with a lip and molding under the lip for a finished look. If you plan to put plants on this surface, you might wish to consider a "deck" type finish, which won't be damaged if water gets on it. Water on dry wall is not a pretty thing.
  • tullysmum
    hace 11 años
    What a bonus! You've scored an extra display space. I wouldn't get too busy or squashed up with the filling of it tho. A few frames, or oil burner, or some beautiful large-ish rocks, or a bit of a Buddha'n'candles corner. Wish I had one on my stairs!
  • orangecamera
    hace 11 años
    I'm still mulling this over. Is the shelf part about 5' high? Can you post a picture taken from the bottom of the stairs, please?

I have the impression that this is in the front of your house, and visible from your foyer. You'll want to make sure it looks nice from downstairs. That may be more important than how it looks from upstairs.
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    You can see it from downstairs and it's almost six feet high. I'm thinking crown molding and some small cypress trees. I read they take years to really grow tall. Thanks everyone!
  • PRO
    SIGNATURE FLOORING INC.
    hace 11 años
    It could be very pretty with an accent color and then use a complimentary colored accessory, only one which is a work of art. Highlight it with accent lighting on an opposite wall or a tiny uplight to showcase this new truly spectacular space.
  • calkelley
    hace 11 años
    How about this?
    You mentioned you had a Christmas tree there. Why don't you set it up so it can be a seasonal display?
    You don't have to go all out on the kitchy displays (not personally fond of the overloaded Halloween or Easter tables crammed with yet more merchandise - hmm, though kids are) and seasonal can just mean Xmas tree in Dec, some real or artificial bulb flowers in the spring, etc. If you have kids, give them a chance to make it theirs during their birthday month. Imagine their delight and you'll smile every time you come downstairs.
    It's not in guests' normal view so you can be a little relaxed and personal.
    I would make the background very neutral to let the displays shine. I would also have most of the display ready before you took down the previous one, just so a blank area is not chiding you to get on with it ;)
    You can try that for awhile before settling on something more permanent when you've lived in the house longer and finally decided after seeing the changing décor, what looks best.
  • PRO
    mebel logam
    hace 11 años
    Hai...
    Sorry, perhaps if You like music. You can put silver Saxophone with stand in right side and white statue of Saxophone musician in left side-statue position face to right side.
    Thankyou for consider it.

Mebel logam
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    Finish the window with molding, and add stacked artwork to each side to frame the window. Keep the space uncluttered, but styled with some greenery. Keep it simple.
  • calkelley
    hace 11 años
    and it's wonderful that you didn't do the design 'trick' of color coordinated books. To me, that sucks the individuality of what is the essence of a book - we don't buy them to go with our furnishings (well, only a few hopefully) but to read. I keep even paperbacks of books I love. Can't afford that many hardbacks!
    Love the idea. Wish I had an awkward space now ;}
  • Jane
    hace 11 años
    Love the built in bookcase idea. It creates a real feature library, displaying your books as art and giving the space personality. I had considered doing a library in our stairs area, but don't have the depth. We're hanging an oversized vintage advertising poster in the double height space as the feature.
  • PRO
    Five Twenty Two Industries
    hace 11 años
    Doesn't look to like too much of a view.. go flush to the wall with translucent white plexiglass or glass to fill the stairwell with light during the day. The White translucent glass will catch any light coming from the window and amplify it flooding the stairwell during the day.. add some lights behind it for a nice glowing wall at night...
  • wbarker111
    hace 11 años
    I would guess there are mechanicals / plumbing / structural happening under that box.
  • tsudhonimh
    hace 11 años
    It's a "coffin corner" ... that niche makes it easier to carry large items around the corner of the staircase. Not specifically put there for coffins, despite the name.

You'll be glad it's there the next time you take a box spring up the staircase.
  • Chris Byrne
    hace 11 años
    The landing contributes significantly to staircase safety, even when you're not carrying a box spring or a coffin around it.
    Are there actually mechanicals in the boxed in area, or could the entire box be replaced with a built-in bookcase? Either way, drywall shelf or bookcase, I agree with the comments above with regard to topping it with something more water resistant/easier to clean.
    We use our similar space to display kid's trophies, etc --stuff that is fun to keep out and change around, but not so precious or dangerously breakable that anyone is devastated when it gets knocked off the shelf --which will happen!
    We didn't worry about symmetry, either, but then our window is a defiantly non-symmetrical stained glass panel. What we like is the pattern of light cast down the lower flight of stairs, which lights the otherwise long and boring hallway.
  • wbarker111
    hace 11 años
    It must be at a height that picks up the angle of the stairs, I can imagine the drywall cornerbead get dinged up a bit. Also, the lowered stub wall at center of the stairwell certainly helps to roll the bulky items over. Or Coffin???
  • Nancy Marcus
    hace 11 años
    there's only one thing that belongs on that shelf: a cat.
  • catching
    hace 11 años
    First, I'd paint that wall differently than the side walls. Then, I'd find several "little" chairs (child size) and decorate the entire "shelf" with your collection. They can/should be old and either in your color scheme or totally different from one to the next. Quirky is good!
  • alb7
    hace 11 años
    The shelf needs finishing as well as the window. Put a 20mm thick timber top on it with a bullnose edge detail and scotia mould underneath. Also some mouldings around the window..............then you can begin the dressing, styling, painting, whatever.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Proper name is .... Little landing. Tee hee
  • nasmijati
    hace 11 años
    This is a quite nice version of a "coffin corner." Often, they look like a niche in the wall.
    You have a lot of nice decorating suggestions.
    What are your thoughts?
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Love the idea of putting up bookshelves! The room we currently use as an office will eventually be used as a nursery and once again my books will go in boxes. I also love the idea of having trophies and other items that I wouldn't dare have out in fear that someone will accidentally break them. Plus, a lot of the books I have I've read a million times and keep them more for nostalgic reasons. Btw, I really wanted to know what to call this area, but a coffin corner?! Creepy! Lol. Thanks y'all!
  • JaR Hdz
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Alb7 is there any way you could provide a visual of your suggestion?
  • geofcox53
    hace 11 años
    Casing the window along with molding would accent this perfectly without over doing it. You can go with white for the color or a color to accent the wall and carpet.
  • lefty47
    hace 11 años
    HI -- Well , everyone sure has lots of ideas for this ledge . I don't think I would fuss it up with moldings etc. . Just remember , if you have to use a ladder all the time to dust it and access the items there , then I would keep it less cluttered and have items that don't need to be dusted so often .
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    I think I'm going with the first suggestion - a reading nook. Decor will just be a dust catcher.
    Traditional Staircase · Más información
  • PRO
    XTC Design Incorporated
    hace 11 años
    decoenthusiaste, You do realize that the ledge is only about 10" deep and 36 - 42" off the floor. How do you figure that it will work as a seat for a reading nook, like the picture.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 11 años
    jar_hdz didn't indicate that in the DD but said 2 days ago it was 6 feet high, so that's part of what I was visualizing.
  • kroze
    hace 11 años
    Love the bookcase idea. I went running to my stairs to see if it would work for me.
    Alas, no way.... :(
  • thickskin
    hace 11 años
    Love the bookcase idea mentioned. I am thinking it might be too high for a window seat.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I like the bookcase-you can frame all around the window. Would look the best of all the ideas so far. Its not a window seat. Too high for that.
  • alb7
    hace 11 años
    jar_hdz

Sorry no access to any tools, scanners etc to send visual, but it's really just the same detail you have on the wall dividing the two flights of the stair (just that the flat bit will be longer). BTW - we must have the same good taste.................our icons are cousins!
  • Vivian Rase
    hace 11 años
    Six feet high it out of reach for a window seat, isn't it? You would need steps. It also appears too narrow for a window seat. Like the idea of plants and painting the wall. I would just suggest plants that cascades over the wall a bit. You would be able to see them as you ascended the stairs.

My guess is that it was included to accomodate AC vents, much the way a soffit is used near the ceiling
  • wishwehadthis
    hace 11 años
    If you go with the plants, add a water proof surface to resist the inevitable spills and stains. If that surface is drywall, I'd cover it with tile, or stone, or well-painted solid wood/ext. grade plywood with trim. You could try repeating whatever is in your entrance way, sealing it really well.
  • harringtondm
    hace 9 años
    I have an ornate wooden frame 3 x 4 mirror that I would like to hang on the back wall of this staircase to my media room. One suggestion was to raise the rug and place the mirror underneath. Problem is that from top of stairs mirror would be reflecting carpeted stairs. Any ideas on position and height?
  • kroze
    hace 9 años
    Lovely home, harrington. I think I would look for a better place for the mirror. Part of the beauty of a large mirror is what it reflects. I see no good place in the stairwell for a beautiful mirror. Keep the rug.
  • raineycarole
    hace 9 años
    Old post.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.