Houzz Logo Print
meoconnor10

Changing Custom Doors from Inward to Outward Opening

Beth O'Connor
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Our house have several custom glass doors with transom windows that swing inward. We'd like to change them to outward however in order to do so we must rebuild doors. The quote we received is insanely expensive, 4 doors $59,000, ouch! Should we just live with the inward opening doors? Is this quote outrageous? Any advice appreciated! This isn't the best picture but hopefully you can get the idea

Comentarios (15)

• Katbv Vero
    hace 7 años
    Sounds outrageous to anyone. Live with the inward doors for a while, a long while. You have better things to spend that 59,000. On, it looks to me. Great space. Do me a favor, Once everything is done, your going to open those doors inward and sing "the hills are alive, with the sounds of music" ha, always wanted to do that!
  • acm
    hace 7 años

where'd the photo go?

• Beth O'Connor
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

trying to edit to a better one and Houzz is taking forever

• PRO
    PPF.
    hace 7 años

Price new doors. The transom could probably be reused. They appear to be stock doors -- not custom.

• Beth O'Connor
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The issue is the door and transom are one piece, not framed, They suggested replacing with Marvin Brand? Thank you

• PRO
    Restoring Muskogee
    hace 7 años
    Oh Beth, someone is really out to get you on that price !
    It can be done very simply not to mention for a lot less.

What area do you live in? My husband can do those all day long !

Currently, we are doing the same thing with one of our homes. The house was built in 1908 and brick mind you !

You can custom order doors with the frame already in. I won't go into detail about how it done unless you want me to.

This was once an exterior door before. The previous owners took the doors when they moved (people!). Because this home was built in 1930 the door standard sizes have changed. So instead of purchasing custom doors we bought two new ones off the shelf and just extended the wall and rebuilt the frame.

Find a good carpenter, send me photos of all doors and I'll fly my husband to you !

Cost of doors less than 300.00 install priceless !

The second set of photos. We added a door to the laundry area. Again someone took it out, covered it up. Cost of door 50.00 install and having a back door, priceless.
  • PRO
    Restoring Muskogee
    hace 7 años
    Second half...wish I had better photos for you.
  • flopsycat1
    hace 7 años

Agree with Coastal, inward swing makes the most practical sense. Why do you want hem to swing outward?

• Beth O'Connor
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

@flopsycat We live on the coast on Marsh and lots of humidity salt air. We discovered water damage under floor of four doors that swing inward so advised for them to swing outward. see this picture below I think we are going to square up the doors and order less expensive ones, make sense?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

This is ridiculous get new doors and save big bucks and as far as I can tell the curved transoms are separate from the doors but the water damage will need to be adressed no matter how the doors open this is a bigger problem than changing door swing you are getting water here because of something not right outside.

• livinginsb
    hace 7 años
    Suggestion: check your local codes. I had to follow very specific guidelines to change my kitchen door to "out swing" to accommodate the space in my remodel. There are safety concerns when swinging out, like the drop of the step you are landing on. Check your codes, serious. There is a reason everybody has in swinging doors as a building standard.
  • PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    hace 7 años

Keep transome in place and change out door below..also get more bids.

appears to be way to expensive.

ed.

• User
    hace 7 años

R311.3.1 Floor elevations at the required egress doors.

Landings or finished floors at the required egress door shall not be more than 1 ½ inches (38 mm) lower than the top of the threshold.

Exception: The landing or floor on the exterior side shall not be more than 7 ¾ inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold provided the door does not swing over the landing or floor.

R311.3.2 Floor elevations for other exterior doors.

Doors other than the required egress door shall be provided with landings or floors not more than 7 ¾ inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold.

Exception: A landing is not required where a stairway of two or fewer risers is located on the exterior side of the door, provided the door does not swing over the stairway.

R311.3.3 Storm and screen doors.

Storm and screen doors shall be permitted to swing over all exterior stairs and landings.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_3_sec011.htm?bu2=undefined

• Beth O'Connor
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

thanks everyone for all your advice and is greatly appreciated. We are definitely getting comps and discussing other options. All your comments are very helpful in this painful process!!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.