Houzz Logo Print
allisonguerriero

I Hate my Powder Room

Allison Lemke
hace 7 años

I absolutely hate my powder room. The only things I do like are the painting in there and the wall color. Please help me. I'd rather not replace the vanity, but what can I do here to make it pop. The rest of the house is so beautiful, then you have this boring dud.

Comentarios (31)

• Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

• PRO
    General Finishes Corporation
    hace 7 años

Hi Allison,

Have you thought about painting your vanity cabinets? General Finishes has some pretty great color choices that will definitely pop! Here is a link to our design center so you can see some examples of our color used on real projects.

Hope this helps a little!

-General Finishes

• User
    hace 7 años

Framing the mirror with some trim would make it look more finished. Hang a decorative towel holder instead of the sink top one. Pretty glass or acrylic bottle for you soaps and lotions. Bright contrasting colored towels instead of them blending in. It will give you more color interest. Another piece of art like the first on the other wall.

Allison Lemke agradeció a User
  • Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

do I have to match the frame to the first painting? Which wall should I put it on? The one over the towel bar, or the wall next to the toilet?

I'm thinking about retiling - I hate this tile.

• PRO
    Interior Designer - Home Stylist
    hace 7 años

consider getting a unique framed mirror to go above the vanity, that'll give the space more personality than that builder grade mirror! I would also consider painting the vanity to give it a more updated look :)

Allison Lemke agradeció a Interior Designer - Home Stylist
  • User
    hace 7 años

No the frames don't need to match just look good together. I would hang it on the blank wall next to the toilet. If the mirror can be removed without damaging the wall you could take it down and put a decorative mirror in it's place. That's iffy however most of the time you have to do at least minimal repairs to the wall. If you are going to go to the expense of replacing something I would leave the tile. Replace the sink and vanity instead you'll get more impact for your dollar and it's far easier work.

• Maureen
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Might be impactful to paint the vanity a deep grey, change the knobs, update the mirror and then add some framed prints.

Hyacinthus and Cinera, Set of 2 · Más información

Allison Lemke agradeció a Maureen
  • Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

do you think deep gray would work okay with dark green walls?

• Bev
    hace 7 años

IMO no, deep gray and dark green walls would be horrible. If you want to paint the vanity gray, I would suggest a silvery gray that would look better with the wall color. I also suggest you buying paint samples for whatever color you want to paint the vanity first to make sure it will look good with the wall color. You can paint your samples on white cardboard and hold that cardboard up on the wall to see if it works.

• Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Really great idea. What colors do you think would even go with the walls? They're more like the green in the painting. The photos are really tough in that bathroom

• Maureen
    hace 7 años

I didn't realize the walls were green, sorry..I don't think grey will suit. A good way to add interest if you are wanting more impact is with wainscoting and then a mirror/lighting that sort of suits this more rustic type feel and paint the vanity to match, as it will make the space feel larger.

• User
    hace 7 años

You could go with a soft yellow or blue. Or if you want to go dark navy , maybe maroon . I would go lighter make the room brighter . It's so small if you go with dark colors it's going to make it feel cave like. I like the idea of wainscoting . You can get it in thin sheets at the hardware stores now for fairly inexpensive then just trim the top. It always adds style to the room. Olive green is nearly a neutral in it's own right. You can find many colors that will work with it. Try Bev's poster board method on a few that really call out to you.

• Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks! so do you think maybe white for the vanity?

• User
    hace 7 años

White always looks fresh and clean. It would definitely brighten it up. It would blend in better too. If you paint it yourself make sure you get a really good primer first and sand it a little before you do either. If you don't the finish will be streaky. They can tell you at the hardware or paint store in your area what works best. I like Rustoleum primer but there are several on the market that work well. Sanding it will take off the finish from the former varnish, that way everything will stick evenly. It's better to take your time. Usually a day per layer.

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Black:

Allison Lemke agradeció a groveraxle
  • calidesign
    hace 7 años

I think all you need to do is use a beautifully framed mirror over the sink, update the lighting, and move the picture to the wall like the photo above, so you see it when you walk in.

Allison Lemke agradeció a calidesign
  • Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

If I can't move the picture, due to the holes it will leave in the wall, what would you suggest?

• Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años

You need to have your homeowner club badge revoked if you don't know how to use 1. drywall putty and 2. A paintbrush.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Rusty is correct. How can anyone help you if you're not prepared to do anything? MOVE THE PICTURE. Patch the walls and touch up the paint. That's a 5 minute job.

I hope the picture is the size I have in my image below. I have added pinky coral towels to the room to pop the wall color which I like very much. I have also stained your vanity expresso, a more current color and will add drama to the space.

Then I would pop the mirror off over the vanity..................that will require professional assistance as I don't want you to cut a vein. Replace with a decorative mirror with mirror frame. Just went to HomeGoods yesterday and they have tons to select from

• PRO
    Linda
    hace 7 años

If you don't have the touch up paint for that wall, then you have the perfect excuse to repaint the room!

• Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Love these mirrors! You don't think I'd have to repaint the whole wall? (Yes, I can patch and touch up - I have to do that all the time :). ). The painting is a bit smaller than your picture, that's why I am concerned about moving it. I feel it's too small for the side wall. These mirrors are BEAUTIFUL

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Some times you can make a picture appear larger by having it rematted with a larger mat and larger frame.

Allison Lemke agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Allison Lemke
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks, Beverly - Do you think I will need something on the blank wall that guests see when they are on the toilet then? If so, what in the world should I put there? I can't believe how confusing this is for me. It's just such a small, boring room.

• User
    hace 7 años

Relax, girl.

Come on guys, lets mince our words a little?

• User
    hace 7 años

Grover, isn't that what pictorial calendars are for, to stare at on the loo? I think that's where I got my art appreciation from, from calendars.

• User
    hace 7 años

Yes Ma'am Miss T.T. I think it is rude if one assumes everyone must have the same knowledge they do at the same point in their life. Perhaps they have just not learned said skill as of yet. Thank you.

• User
    hace 7 años

Relax, girl. Take it easy.

• Aubrey Lou
    hace 7 años
    If you don't want to replace the whole vanity I would suggest replacing the countertops and painting the cabinets. :) I think a old vintage frame maybe distressed would look good around your mirror! Maybe try to match frame around you picture to match the frame around your mirror.
    Allison Lemke agradeció a Aubrey Lou
  • Aubrey Lou
    hace 7 años
    You can get a cheap (cost) on a mirror at thrift stores! Spray paint and sand/distress in you desired locations!
  • Aubrey Lou
    hace 7 años
    You can find my ideabook named Distressed Mirror Frames. There are some ideas for you there. All ideas in that ideabook are from Joanna Gaines/Magnolia Homes. I get my inspiration from her and people like her! :)
    Allison Lemke agradeció a Aubrey Lou
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.