Houzz Logo Print
webuser_896369

Going up a 2 levels on container house

Bunya Designs
hace 8 años
Finding it hard on finding what the best option is for going up 2 levels on a container house I have.

Comentarios (16)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    hace 8 años

Can you give us a bit more info? What do you mean exactly?

Container house in the pic looks good! Great colour too!

• PRO
    Bunya Designs
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I have live on a slope and want to go upwards, my current zone allows for 3 levels and I was thinking of the best option would be just build on top of container or get now shipping containers and place on top. I like the idea of a a open plan on top followed by a roof top terrace on top. I am not sure what option maybe the most cost effective. I love the idea of another bunch of containers on top but it's normal building techniques best?
  • Vy
    hace 8 años

Leah..placing them on top wouldn't you need structural approvals ? is the container below able to withstand the load on top?

• User
    hace 8 años

To make it a cheaper option including labour, MB, you'd have to set up a factory, I reckon.

• PRO
    Murphy Metal Design and Wrought Iron
    hace 8 años

I am using 7 containers to build myself a new home......set at 3 levels above ground

• User
    hace 8 años

Flame, I hope you do a before and after or a Houzz article on your container house!

• Steve O
    hace 8 años

The sea containers can be stacked, however if the bottom container didn't have its openings/modifications designed a load above (same for footings) then it may not be so straightforward as the skins also bear some load and you usually weld support posts against the cut edge - same goes for waterproofing/flashing between top and bottom container, also there will need to be some engineering and thought going into the roof penetration for stairs and power/water which may need additional bracing.

I think the easiest and most cost effective option would be to strip whatever roofing you have and then pour a concrete slab across your existing two containers with the existing container roof acting as the formwork, then build a light weight up structure out of steel or timber framing about 2/3rds the width of your existing containers and leave the other 1/3rd as your outdoor terrace. This will also give you the option to extend the slab beyond your container to form a cantilever or supported balcony to extend your terrace, provide shade to the existing containers and break up the 'blocky' structure you would get from adding an identical rectangle on top.

If you had a bit of cash spare then perhaps a corten steel (sea container material) staircase from existing container to upper floor would be a nice touch and cool reference to the house structure, depending on what your interior looks like - would be awesome to weld it to look like the roof has just been peeled down for the staircase but I'm probably breaking the budget now!!

• PRO
    Bunya Designs
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks guys for some feedback. When I planned my house, I got all my engineered footings done, all steel and concrete (my house ain't going anywhere any time soon in a earthquake). It cost me a fortune but worth every penny, how trying to see what the best option is. I love the concept of just adding additional container on top as its more sustainable but is it cost effective I am not sure!

• User
    hace 8 años

Nowadays, not really, as the price of the containers have gone up, and more councils have more rules. As a general rule, building with recyclables is not necessarily cheaper, unless you are doing most of the labour. Stripping down a secondhand window is DIY, but is cutting holes in a container in the right places, and adding steel components?

• User
    hace 8 años

This site has an option called flat racks. If you angled the open sides to North and South, put windows in them and put a gable roof with overhangs,

http://www.australiatrade.com.au/Shipping/ContainerSizeSales/

• PRO
    DAS HAUS LTD
    hace 8 años

Hi...

Just a small idea regarding container house

Pls look at my website : http://www.houzz.com.au/pro/machdoem/__public

• PRO
    Murphy Metal Design and Wrought Iron
    hace 8 años

I have decided to use counter weight bridge construction for my container home it will give the height I need with out interruption to the view and is cost effective also I will use light weight concrete panels.......a home at an affordable cost

• Emma
    hace 8 años
    Grand Designs (UK) had a great recent episode where they built container house from two containers - the top one was perpendicular to the bottom one. Structurally was easy to do apparently as the steel container provides the support. Just had to think carefully about where to cut the windows so as not to destroy the structural integrity of the original container. The end result was full of light, modern and beautiful.
  • Emma
    hace 8 años
    Here's the link to the container house's architect: http://www.pb-architects.com/completed-photos/
  • PRO
    Our Shipping Container House
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi Leah, great to hear you have a shipping container house, we have built one also. http://www.ourcontainerhouse.com/      Adding a container on top should be fine, the cheapest way would be to stack it on one of the other containers as that is what they are made to do rather then putting cross ways or in the middle which would definitely need engineering & cost more etc. Hopefully one day you can another one on top.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.