Houzz Logo Print
jthometz

How to make wood patio chairs look good again

Julie Thometz
hace 8 años

I have two beautiful patio chairs that are almost like indoor furniture. They are dark brown wood (not teak or other natural wood) with a dull finish. I'm not sure if they were painted or had a sealant on them originally, but now, after 5 years, some of the brown color has worn away and I would like to either paint them or seal them. I'm worried that if I paint them they will need to be repainted every year. I've tried researching this on the web but can't find any alternatives to paint which I don't think is the right solution. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Comentarios (3)

• havingfun
    hace 8 años

i have a very old bench, like 1900, don't know if it was indoor or outdoor, but it sat on a woman's front porch for years, so any hope of finish etc. was gone. i think it was black walnut. anyway, we had a friend, a classic carpenter. he put olive oil on it and made it look brand new. we repeat it every year and a half or so, and it always looks great!

• apple_pie_order
    hace 8 años

Spar varnish is often used on front doors. Maybe it would be suitable for your outdoor furniture. You might ask at the best paint store in town.

• PRO
    General Finishes Corporation
    hace 7 años

Hi jthometz,

Have you thought about trying General Finishes Gel Stain? Here is a link to our design center page, specifically our Gel Stain page. There are so many color possibilities! http://designs.generalfinishes.com/color-category/gel-stain

Also if you decide GF's Gel Stain is the way you'd like to go, here is a link to our youtube channel for a tutorial video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMJWz3mnEo

Don't hesitate to contact us for further information if you may have any other questions. Good luck!

-General Finishes

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.