Houzz Logo Print
b_simplethings

Pros and cons of side facing garage

Brooke Croshaw
hace 8 años

Pros and cons of a front vs side facing garage? (We're considering a three car garage, the two car part facing the side of the house and the third facing forward i.e. West facing home, two car portion will open to the south, third car portion opening to the west)

Comentarios (13)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 8 años
    Just have never liked forward facing garage...never have I ever seen a picturesque snowy postcard with a garage on the front....even diligent looking at the neighbor's garage on the front of their house, always open and messy, garage on the side leaves more room for a beautiful landscape and flow of the yard and flowerbeds... Homes look larger to me with garage on the side too
  • katinparadise
    hace 8 años

I'm with Brandi. I always prefer a side load garage as long as there is sufficient space to build it. So much prettier and easy to landscape as well.

• raineycarole
    hace 8 años
    I prefer a side load garage because you can back straight out, turn 45 degrees and drive out of the driveway. With a front load garage you have to back out into the street.
  • Carol Johnson
    hace 8 años
    Side facing.
  • Lakehouse
    hace 8 años
    Side...we have two facing side and one pulling straight in.
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

side if there is room for it. BUT make sure if the garage has forward facing windows you make them look the same as the rest of the house and have nice blinds on them. or the whole effect is lost.

• someoneone
    hace 8 años
    Well I guess I'm the contrary opinion. I had a side garage and found everyone ended up entering our home through the garage. People take the shortest path and if your drive is by your front door then that's where they naturally go.
  • Renee Texas
    hace 8 años

Love the side facing garage in the rear- can acess all my gardening things without needing to go around the house! Also love backing out and driving foreward from the driveway to the street.

Brooke Croshaw agradeció a Renee Texas
  • PRO
    Allegiance Construction & Development, LLC
    hace 8 años

Side load is nice for front elevation, but be sure there is enough room for the driveway turnaround area. I have built many homes, majority have side load, but a few Owners who insisted on it without ample room, were not happy with the resulting issues and extra maneuvering. And be sure you plan not just for the vehicle you have now (LOL - my truck is a 4 door and long bed - almost 24 feet long). Good luck !

Brooke Croshaw agradeció a Allegiance Construction & Development, LLC
  • PRO
    Jorgenson Builders
    hace 8 años
    I have a side load on my personal home with a decent amount of space. In the winter with snow banks it can get tough and take a lot of points to turn in or out. Make sure you have enough space but if so the side load looks better and is easier to get out on to the street. I have zero issues with my cars but my company truck is a couple point turn to get in the garage straight.
    Brooke Croshaw agradeció a Jorgenson Builders
  • susanalanandwrigley
    hace 8 años
    Side load certainly looks better from street but in my neck of the woods lots are not usually wide enough to make this feasible with enough room for turn around and reasonable driveways. So it really depends on your lot.
  • tatts
    hace 8 años

Front-facing garages should be outlawed.

I find it hilarious that Home Owners Associations get so nitpicky about colors and mailboxes and flags, etc., yet they allow the houses to be built so that it looks more like a neighborhood of service stations.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.