Houzz Logo Print
00mm00

DIY Hiding Popcorn Ceiling Before & After

00mm00
hace 8 años

We had ugly popcorn ceiling in the dining room & wanted to cover it up for relatively cheap. The before picture does not, in my opinion, show the true ugliness of that terrible, terrible ceiling. We have other ceilings (one bedroom and the living room) that also have the same popcorn ceiling, and I'm on the fence on whether or not to do the same thing to those ceilings. Please give honest opinions on the "new" ceiling. It's our first time doing any kind of work to a ceiling and are pretty pleased with the outcome but are considering other options for the other rooms.

Before Picture:

After Picture:

Comentarios (12)

• Architectural Notice
    hace 8 años

What exactly did you do to the new ceiling? It appears that you installed some type of dropped ceiling. Did you cover up the popcorn ceiling rather than remove it?

• PRO
    Robert Brayton Photography
    hace 8 años

That is a vast improvement. In the future, know that if you dampen the popcorn ceiling with a spray bottle and water, it will scrape off with a wide putty knife relatively easy.

• Maureen
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The only caveat to the above is if the popcorn has been painted over - imagine scraping paint off a wall using water. My brother thought it would be a fairly easy job (but messy) and they had to have someone come in to replace the entire ceiling, as theirs was painted. Check if the other rooms were painted and if not, the cost is less to scrape and the work should be about the same or less. I think a plain ceiling vs this one looks more suitable for most rooms, other than a basement or sunroom for example.

• Horizons
    hace 8 años
    Another caveat to the above removal suggestion is that popcorn ceilings may contain asbestos.
  • j2kwalk
    hace 8 años
    If you like it, Success! If I was looking buy.... I would be looking to replace. Reminds me too much of the ceiling in a high rise office. Maybe if it was painted other than while, a lighter shade of the gray on your walls.
  • Dawn
    hace 8 años

In the before pic there is a smoke detector, did you cover it up? If not can you show a pic of what that looks like?

• 00mm00
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the comments. It is tiles, yes, the old ceiling is covered up. I haven't had the ceiling tested, I think I will start looking into having it tested in the remaining rooms as suggested. The popcorn has been painted I'm thinking several times.

I do like it, but I have reservations about putting it up elsewhere.

That was a smoke detector but I didn't put it back up, I wanted that in the kitchen instead.

• Bev
    hace 8 años

The tiled ceiling does remind me of an office building! I worked as a secretary for many years before retiring.

• Kendrah
    hace 8 años

Sorry, but the tile ceiling does not look like a vast improvement to me. But, I think the nice trim around the windows and new lighting fixture are a big improvement. I wonder if in your other rooms, instead of doing a tile ceiling - which seems to me like a basement game room or office choice, you might want to consider other lighting fixtures and window treatments that really pop and take the emphasis away from the ceiling.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I agree, those ceiling tiles are the cheapest one for office buildings, in my opinion the popcorn ceiling was looking better. If you want to cover the ceilings in the other rooms, I would go for wood slats, painted white or not, or even 1/4" dry wall 4x8' . Hope this helps !

• Usuario de Houzz-2339588
    hace 7 años

00mm00, what about putting some strips over the seams, painting them, and having a box ceiling effect with the acoustical tiles in the recesses? Because your ceilings look to be normal height, maybe use a wider strip under a thinner strip to force the appearance of more depth/texture.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.