What can I do with this wall..?

Karen Blanchard
hace 8 años

Need help...

Comentarios (56)

• hatetoshop
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

If you are just discovering what works with your space and for you, then why not rent artwork? This will give you the opportunity to see different colours, sizes and media that makes your space your own.

Or begin browsing online poster websites, galleries in your area, and art shows. Your combination of furniture, decor and art is what will make your home unique.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a hatetoshop
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I have looked online and in stores...I have a hard time picking stuff out.

• Conversaciones relacionadas

Foyer needing help!

Q

(3) comentarios
    Hi Cristina, your table looks very beautiful however I discourage to have such furniture at home because of the mirrors. I work as a feng shui consultant and I know that the mirrors have some kind of power and one should be very carful placing them in the house. My personal opinion is to have a mirror in the place where the mirror can´t see you while you are resting or sleeping because in long term it can have negative influence on you. The mirror was created to look at it and it shouldn´t be used extensively also because of the reflections of the light. The human eye naturally is used to see the light coming from certain directions, if it comes from the direction which is not used to the light, especially artificial one, it may effect your vision or have negative influence on your mood. I'm talking about something very subtle which sometimes may be felt after some time. Another thing is that I always encourage people to don´t use repetitive patterns in the house just simple irregular forms and calm and worm colours which make the space more cozy and more natural. If you need more help with the rest of your house please let me know. I could make a 3d visualisation of your place to shaw the layout. Best \Marcin
    ...Ver más

Help with wall art!

Q

(12) comentarios
    Hola MONICA: Gracias por explicarte. Si no te obstinas por poner fotos tuyas variadas y pequeñás, puedes encargar un vinilo autadhesivo, con una imagen de la más alta definición, que haga tu instrumento, o comprar alguna en un banco de imágenes. Procuras que la parte alta izquierda sea lo más neutra posible y pegas la imagen sobre el paramento completo, incluso sobre el frente del split. El resto, puedes hasta pintarlo a spray del color que requiera, para camuflarse mejor.
    ...Ver más

What is CFM?

Q

(11) comentarios
    Muchas gracias por contestarme a las dos, si me decanto por el agua marina mejor ké el gris, no, no voy a poner nada en esa pared, porque, es ké no Le puedo hacer una foto a la habitación entera, porque la cocina está metida, dentro del salón y con el sofá pues nos pasamos un pokitin de grande y se come el salón y los muebles de la cocina son enteros hasta el techo, para ké me crupier an más cosas y el mueble de TV me lo están haciendo a medida y lo ké puedo lo pongo hasta el techo, porque el espacio no me sobra, así ké dejando esa pared sin nada, es como ké kita la pesadez...
    ...Ver más

wall tile dilema

Q

(0) comentarios
    Hi guys I found this nice floor tile that has like a blue marine tone to it with some irregular small stone shapes but I can’t find something to combine it with, like what kind of wall tile should I use, since the floor tile has some details. It’s for a bathroom renovation, the bathroom has 6 square meters.
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    REFRESH . . . DESIGN
    hace 8 años
    I'd say it is dying to have some beautiful wallpaper installed to that wall & I agree that the rug should be wider!
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a REFRESH . . . DESIGN
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años

hello Karen! all my walls are too filled...... well not really.... It doesn't necessarily look too bare in your home!!! that's good news. And your possibilities you can work with are abundant!! It is hard to figure out what to pick out, I know!!! It looks great so far!

I agree a larger rug will look nicer..... and It's just my opinion it looks nice if not every wall has a framed picture! Maybe add a pop of color in your wall decor!

A clock is always a nice touch! Maybe one big clock for the wall??? a mirror, like i said before. a large knife fork and spoon? a sign of some sort - matching your theme -- or help creating a theme??? There's some nice decorative large candle votive holders ... usually metal and artsy! just a few ideas off the top of my head that could come in a variety of tastes to suit your need!

Karen Blanchard agradeció a Gina Haffie
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Love your ideas I have a large clock over my fireplace..

I have no color n my house..I have no idea on what color to use.

• leelee
    hace 8 años

What you've done so far looks good...you just lack confidence. Look at magazines on line to see what the best designers have done. Get ideas from them. I would stay away from things that have been "over-done" No sticks in vases, for example.

One decorative mirror could work in the right location but that's not usually the dining room. Especially if people can see themselves while eating.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a leelee
  • Maria McCarron
    hace 8 años
    I would make this a photo gallery wall of black and white mounted photos with dark frames, a great talking point when entertaining.....
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a Maria McCarron
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Love the idea but I don't have any pictures..

• cineus
    hace 8 años
    Agree with others, rug is too small. One with some color and work from there. Larger and color as centerpiece maybe even a runner. One large print on wall or 2 that match.
    Move clock over mantel. Gets lost in brick. Hang mirror or print with few accessories with colors that tie in with dining room.
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a cineus
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años

You have done good so far!!! i think leelee is correct with lack of confidence... Or you may be unsure what your "style" is..... Please know, it's okay for your style and decor to 'unfold' as you go. I am not a pro ... unfold may not be right word... let your style GROW.... as you continue your decor process. Often ONE piece can guide your next moves!! for instance you find a great clock for the wall and it has a hint of orange blue and grey.... You can then find candle holders or place mats, table runner etc in orange, blue and/or grey!! You might find one other thing to go with the clock, and that will bring inspiration too. say orange was a new accent color then you could find orange something (small) that fits with living room decor.

that's how i operate... other people know everything in advance, I am just saying, if you don't, you can begin to feel comfortable with knowing or trusting 'going with the flow'.... it's a process to decorate and it will come together dear.

I know it feels like a permanent and hard decision to choose one big thing for the wall for instance..... in this case, I would try to listen to your gut.... and feel like you LOVE it! then as you go along, you'll really start to LOVE your home decor! :) which is important to me! It does look great in your HOME.... so if you choose a few pieces YOU LOVE..... You will get that loving feeling and feel like it's decorated as nice as it is!

I really think a pop of color makes everything bright and warm and adds a homey Loving touch!!! then you'll look around and really Love your house! and an odd clock or orange candle holder or the blue pillow will bring a smile to your heart everytime!!!

• Catherine Love
    hace 8 años
    Nice place and suggestions. Looks like your light fixture is too high and off center.
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a Catherine Love
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años

Moving the clock is good idea,,,,, what do you think of clock on that wall in dining room?

green accents blue or orange accents here and there would be nice with your bronze and stainless accents. that bowl on your bar counter could have oranges and green apples!

You have a great base of stuff to start with my dear!

• Maria McCarron
    hace 8 años
    start taking some photos and get them framed, this is so easy to create yourself, otherwise why not add some wall art...a quote or song lyrics would look amazing.
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a Maria McCarron
  • leelee
    hace 8 años

You can buy pictures and bring them home on approval....if they don't work take them back. Be brave and step a little out of your comfort zone. You can do just one wall at a time.

No clock in the dining room!

It's far easier to decorate with larger pieces than trying to do a collage if you have trouble making choices.

Here are some from Pottery Barn.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a leelee
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

What do you think?

• Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

How did you do that...?

• felizlady
    hace 8 años
    leelee is absolutely correct. Measure your table and add 4' to each number to have the correct size rug for a dining room. If your table has more leaves, put them in before measuring the table size, and again, add 4' to each number.
    Use that rug somewhere else, perhaps by the front door.
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a felizlady
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Any ideas on new rug?

• sharlowm
    hace 8 años
    agree, don't use that clock in the dining room! a large print wood look the best,as the poster above illustrates!
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a sharlowm
  • Janice Pfluke
    hace 8 años
    Agree...no clock there!
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a Janice Pfluke
  • Bluebell66
    hace 8 años

Love your house! You just need to add a few accessories to bring in some color and then you're done! One thing I like to do when I don't have other accessories is start with some flowers and plants. They are always a nice touch, add some color and can be a placeholder for other things. Also, so that you don't feel overwhelmed, choose one catalog or store you like to shop to find some art you like. You won't know what you like until you start looking. Someone mentioned Pottery Barn.... if you like their style, you could start there. If you prefer something more original, go look at Etsy.com. (Although prepare to be overwhelmed.) There are tons of paintings, prints... you name it. Find something that grabs you, and if you need some reassurance or second opinions, bring the idea back here. Lastly, if you are not opposed to the idea, you could hire someone locally to help you accessorize.... an interior designer or decorator, or a home stager would be helpful. But I think you could probably get it done between spending some time looking for things you like and bringing them back here for opinions.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a Bluebell66
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all the advice...I have been looking for a long time with no luck. Hopefully all the advice will help.Thanks

• Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años
    Best wishes Karen.
    Ya, post your progress as you go or need an opinion! You might be amazed at how one thing can set everything rolling in the right direction for you! Keep on keeping on!!
  • leelee
    hace 8 años

No clock in the dining room.

• Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Should I just get the print on the wall?

• Lila
    hace 8 años

You are overthinking it. You've done a beautiful job and you have a neutral room to work with. As long as the art is big enough anything that you like will work on that wall. Don't try to get the perfect print because nothing is "perfect". Buy from a store that allows returns. Maybe bring home two or three and see what you like in your space.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a Lila
  • 12karatisa
    hace 8 años
    I can be so indecisive so can relate. So I do some things step by step. First get a larger rug and lower your light fixture. See how that looks. Put some color on the table - a vase of flowers always works. Then go from there.
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a 12karatisa
  • wildcatblue
    hace 8 años
    Start by looking in your closet. Yes, your closet! Look at the colors in the clothes you wear. That will let you know what colors you really like. For example, if you have a lot of blue clothes then use blue as your accent color in your decorating. Good luck!
    Karen Blanchard agradeció a wildcatblue
  • alladd
    hace 8 años

I like all your neutrals and your non-cluttered rooms/walls! I do think that picture that Beverly imposed on your wall looks great. And a larger rug would be very nice.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a alladd
  • PRO
    Peach Magnolia Decor
    hace 8 años

I agree with the consensus that the rug needs to be larger. Here are my suggestions for the wall...

This is 40x40

This one 48x48 all 3 pieces combined

Karen Blanchard agradeció a Peach Magnolia Decor
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años
    I ❤️ your closet idea wildcat!! And like those items Peach! I was thinking three things like bottom pic.
    Ya I agree overthinking muddles things up! Trying things without thinking- brings pleasant surprises!
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años
    What do you honestly like? Do you like big prints or wall pieces better? When you see a beautiful print does your heart skip a beat? Or when you see different pieces on a wall how much do you like that? Sometimes I love something but it's not "me" even tho I do like it.

Like I said before- your house is very nicely decorated!! So I feel like if you get something you feel like you love- you'll appreciate your decor more. The neutrals are nice... And it's not too bare.... So a few colorful accents is easy part ! And your own preference! For instance I ❤️ other people's large prints - but they're not for my taste in decorating -- even tho they're beautiful.

Now that you've posted and gotten many opinions - I bet you'll find something that pops for You!!! IMHO - a lot of decor comes to personal preferences - a lot Will work on that wall! Follow your heart!
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I like blues...what does everyone think?

• Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I have an open living area so how do I match the rugs when getting a new one for the dining room?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Karen, if you like blues, why did you select the earthtone rug for the dining room?

• User
    hace 8 años

That wall is just perfect for wallpaper! click photo to enlarge

SILVERTIP RIDGE · Más información

Icehouse Loft · Más información

Karen Blanchard agradeció a User
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I was trying to match it with the furniture..I'm not at all good at decorating.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Karen, I think you have stumbled into some absolutely great decisions so don't underestimate your abilities.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I have been struggling for awhile know and I just want my new house to feel like home...I'm thinking about selling it because I can not make it feel right.

• Jennifer K
    hace 8 años

If you sold, you'd just have the same decorating problem somewhere else. I think you need to do two things:

• trust your gut. If you like what you see, then it's right for you. You live there. It's your home.
    • be willing to try things out with the understanding that they may not work. If you buy an item that you love, then even if it doesn't work in the place you had in mind, it will work somewhere in your home-- because you love it.

Remember, all these decor rules and regulations are really just guidelines to help you achieve a pleasant environment. If you break a "rule" and you're happy with the result, then it's all good.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a Jennifer K
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años
    Maybe there is old energy in the house looming and you feel it! From outward appearances it appears a beautiful home and the decor is beautiful to many, including myself -- and I have eclectic taste.
    Energy from people or events could be trapped in the home. Maybe something shady happened in that home ... And you feel that. Or maybe the feng shui of the location/direction it's at is just OFF.

You could hire an Someone whom works with energy to clear the space. It's possible that'll help! I clear my space often- even if I've been in a funk, my own every can muddle it up.

Do you recall, thinking back, if you had that feeling while deciding to purchase the house. Sometimes we feel things- don't listen to our güt and think it's something that'll go away! It could be you've felt it the whole time. People move from there homes for this reason -- it happens.

You could look at your deed and see who lived there and investigate some history! Divorces, foreclosure, maybe someone had an affair or was molested in the home previously. I don't mean to sound gruesome, weird stuff happens ... It could be you pick up these vibes and that's the problem. Energy clearing would be a start.....

I know it sounds loony.... However empathic people feel this stuff and it happens. Just as some spaces feel wonderful!

It makes for uncomfortable and long I enjoyable time if you don't feel wondef in your home. I do know people have moved, like you're considering for these toes of reasons dear!
  • alladd
    hace 8 años

Karen, I bet you have a friend or coworker who has a good eye for decorating, even though he/she isn't a professional. Ask that person to come over and give you some ideas or to even go shopping with you. Buy his/her lunch and have a fun decorating day! You can go to places like TJ Maxx and even Goodwill Stores to get items at a cheap price while you are trying to get your sense of what you love. That person will be very flattered that you thought of him/her.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a alladd
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años
    I break rules and it works!
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

It's brand new..I don't know if it's because they're are no memories here or that I just don't like the location. I live in Saratoga N.Y. I really think it because I can not make this house feel like home and believe me I have tried to bring many things in and none of them work. I tried a designer to help me with the bare walls with no luck. She worked for a furniture store and just wanted me to buy new furniture.

• iamhopscotch
    hace 8 años

Hey Karen - I am new decorator (only at my home) and you have got some wonderful advice ( from very kind people I should add . I am not frequent on Houzz, so whenever I pop in and see people helping others I think that's incredible)

I don't have any expensive art in my home because I am still understanding and learning about art and figuring out what style I like etc, before I make a big investment. If you are looking for some cheap alternatives to get a sense of what you like, what colors you enjoy etc.. first, here are a few alternatives you could consider. These are what has helped me find what I like, because I was lost too.

Frame wallpaper? Maybe 2 large frames of wallpaper?

Frame fine paper - the kind you get in specialty craft stores. They have some beautiful options.

Frame posters ?

A Mirror?

And I think you got the best tip already - there is no perfect piece. There are many pieces that will work there, and you just need to find one that works there and makes you happy.

Karen Blanchard agradeció a iamhopscotch
  • Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate it...I will try harder to figure it out.

• Karen Blanchard
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I just bought a canvas painting from Pier 1 and I will start there. I tried to copy and paste it but it wouldn't work.Shimmer Trees Art - Azure

$99.98$199.00 REG

• Jennifer K
    hace 8 años

here you go:

It's a very nice piece!

Karen Blanchard agradeció a Jennifer K
  • Gina Haffie
    hace 8 años
    That is a great piece. Blue, bronze and silver all blend well! Can't wait to see it hung!!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.