cristineeg

What to do with a full wall of brick on a 1970s fireplace in the family room

hace 11 años
I have no idea what to do here. I have painted the walls and have this fireplace that I just don't know what to do with!! HELP! Should I paint it? Leave it? Cover some of the brick?

Comentarios (32)

• hace 11 años
    hey it's awesome... you have fire place in this room and you can made it traditional with a old furniture
    cover the window's with picture or use it for candle
  • hace 11 años
    Since it's a family room, I'm betting a big-screen TV is going up above it. Maybe paint the bookcases the same colors as your walls and fill them with DVDs and the electronics you need for the TV (cable box, etc.) Then either set logs or a candle display in the fireplace and set a couple big chairs facing towards 'us' to complement a sofa facing the TV, stick a couple of tall/large plants on either end of the hearth behind the chairs, and most of the brick won't even show in people's minds as they look at it. Once you clutter it up with your stuff, it won't look so noticeable and imposing.
  • hace 11 años
    Lowes sells a product called Air Stone. It is a very easy to use and affordable faux stone product. You could easily use it to create some stone accents to help the brick not be so overwhelming.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Fabulous ideas everyone! Nobody suggested painting it? My next question was what color to paint it? Cleaning it would be such a pain but that definitely crossed my mind. In fact I bought some concrete cleaner from Lowes just for that purpose. I also love the idea of putting sconces in the inset areas but think it would be better served as a place to put CDs and DVDs and stereo equipment. This is for an investment property (fix and flip) so is not for me personally. I have painted fireplaces and the buyers love it. I love the idea of Airstone too. I have been admiring that at Lowes but just have not used it yet. Thank you so much and anymore suggestions would be appreciated!
  • hace 11 años
    Everyone should be so lucky!! Paint it for sure! Light or white and enjoy the texture. I would leave the shelves. Maybe just have two and use it to lean pictures or stack books or whatever you fancy, but don't clutter it up. Do you have a milk glass collection? I don't know. Play with different heights if you collect anything.
    I love the rustic look, so I might change the wood framing the shelves to some reclaimed wood and paint the back the same colour as the walls. Or you could also have fun with the space and paint it all out in a bold colour (orange, emerald, turquoise).
    Buy a rug... or artwork and play off the colours in that.
    Some pillows or cushions for the hearth would be fabulous. Moroccan, Indian Saris, Nautical/Marine inspired; all will work, depending what you do in the rest of the room.
    I'm not a fan of a TV over the fireplace. Hope you have another wall for that.
    The wall has tremendous potential! I had to write. I'm trying to create what you have!
  • PRO
  • hace 9 años
    I posted this pic on another thread similar to your dilemma
    Maybe it can inspire you!
    West University New Orleans · Más información
  • hace 9 años
    Maybe a light white-wash for the bricks.
  • hace 9 años
    Personal I would take down the bricks start all over again. Or divide the wall in 3 sections. On the ends cover with drywall, on the center add a modern brick from floor to ceiling. This reminds me of the saying about lipstick. If you are thinking about selling it, whitewashing it will not move it into the 2014.
  • hace 9 años
    Post is over a year old.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Cover up the brick on either side of the mantle with floor to ceiling built ins that sit in front of the brick. You can also cover the brick above the mantle with Sheetrock.
  • hace 9 años
    right..regards being an old post.
    I usually pick that up.
    Must be getting tired
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    here is an example of a brick wall covered
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    here is a before after fireplace
  • hace 9 años
    I have this same issue, can anyone post pictures of covering the sides with shelves?
  • hace 9 años
    older post
  • hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    I have the same problem helping son with first house he just purchased. He is a Navy pilot instructor and will be leaving Vance in another year. He will keep this house as a rental so need a fix that is cost effective. This was a pic before previous owner moved out. To the left of FP is blank wall!!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    this is just question of taste, the way I like to work is asking the customer if you had nothing and can get what ever you want, what would be your choice. My job is to match what you have with what you like. I have idea and solution that people normally think it can't be done.
    1-877-990-8635 david@omegamantels.com
  • hace 9 años
    Paint it! After 10 years of staring at the brick wall in my house wondering what to do with it, I finally went for it. I love it. It opened up the room and modernized it.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    nice adding a simple dark grey mantel around can also look nice
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    That GLORIOUS fairy tale wall of brick complete with shelves and a demi lune opening a problem NO WAY. Paint it? Why? you said yourself it is a flip flop. IT IS BEAUTIFUL.
    Needs contrast in a great bright white paint on the shelves and the backs of them and as someone else said, a simple collection of pitchers, or geodes or whatever; just one or two per shelf, just don't clutter it up with DVD's and utilitarian items and DON'T hang a TV over it. For goodness sake, watch your shows on your lap tops or somewhere else. OR if you must, go to www.movenart.com and purchase for streaming, all sorts of styles of art that can be shown on that big ugly black screen when it is not in use.
    But still, don't store the electronic stuff in the shelves. Even great looking books would be better interspersed with a few interesting accent pieces.
    SO many great pictures have been posted here.
    If you must paint it, then paint that horrible brown wall to the right too.
    Peace,
    Karen & Joseph
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    PS Omega Mantles of Stone just doesn't get the beauty of the demi lune opening. But we forgot to add, paint or replace the mantle with a lovely wooden one the same color as the shelves.
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    hi Decorative Philosophy, I can play with shape too.. I don't always do what I like, and this is not the point. My point is that to often people take what they have has a limitation. The way I work is if they had nothing what would be their first choice and I work from that to find solution with in Budget. ANd I work a lot with designers!
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    No offense intended or taken :) Just like to renew, reuse and repurpose. We have lived through such destruction having had our family home 50% destroyed by Hurricane Sandy and now seeing such waste as people rebuild. We love to work with what's there. Love blank slates just as you do and your work is lovely, just prefer to work with what's there.
    Part of our mission is to not add any more to our over burdened earth.
    Peace,
    Karen & Joseph
  • hace 9 años

BLOW IT OUT!!!!

Similar situation in my home, after 10 years of over-analyzing, finally did what needed to be done.

before:

after:

These aren't the greatest quality photos but as you can see it opened up and modernized the room considerably. It's not a big family room,gaining the extra floor space was a huge addition, see chair to the right. Regency Gas Insert.

• hace 7 años

Cmducey- can you tell me if your fireplace was brick veneer or was it real brick? What was the process of changing it to its current state? My fireplace is exactly the same and I am at a loss of what to do with it

• hace 7 años
    Cover everything but the brick below the mantel. DON'T put a TV above the mantel: it would be too high for comfortable viewing (unless you have a very good massage therapist).
  • PRO
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

jbtanyaderi.. this post is like 3-4 years old. if you bothered to read the comments you'd notice that she already removed the brick and redid it.

• hace 7 años

Beth I am glad she removed the brick! Especially for a flip. I think younger home buyer are turned off by old brick and the thought of taking on such a project. I bet the house sold fast once it was complete

• hace 6 años

Would be great to see what you did!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.