Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

Help needed with bedding and bedroom paint colors

hace 11 años
I need help with my new bedroom. My question is what kind of bedding would work best with my new king size upholstered bed. I have same bed as in pic (color) but just with no footboard.

I'm usually drawn to prints but think that more solid colors may work better so as not to compete with the bed. any suggestions??

I'm also looking for ideas for paint colors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comentarios (74)

• PRO
    hace 11 años
    I always go to a fabric or paint store to get inspiration. I just grab swatches and chips and then take them home. I agree that the muted rooms are lovely, but they also feel cold. I love tone on tone blues. There are so many shades and mixing them up will keep the room from looking too fussy. Lots of texture, too. And then pick one pop of color. Mirrors and shiny metals.
    Contemporary Bedroom · Más información
    Guest Room Redesign · Más información
    Lyme Hills · Más información
    Pleasant Valley · Más información
    More This · Más información
    Bedrooms · Más información
  • hace 11 años
    I think you can have blue walls and blue bedding, but the bedding should be a mix of blue and whites or creams, with both prints and solids. With a neutral solid spread you can mix it up with all of your other elements to get a layered and cozy look. I love the ideas in the Lyme Hills bedroom above.
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks! I love some of the examples shown in the attached images (Esp first few)
  • hace 11 años
    I love the Lyme Hills Bedroom also! I also love the Pleasant Valley and Guest Room Redesign. I'm realizing that maybe i don't need to get a coordinated bedding set but mix and match as bluenan had suggested earlier. I love these color combinations - which would look great with my new bed! now to find a paint color :-)
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    No , never get a coordinating set......ever! lol Go to the paint store and splurge on a few tester sizes and paint your wall with them. Look at the colors throughout the day and you will know. It may cost you $20 but so worth it. Pick a warm, a cool, a neutral, a light, a dark- in the color you are leaning towards. I personally am liking the blue tones for the walls.
  • hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    It just occurred to me that I could incorporate some of my current bedding into new bedroom. I currently have the PB Matine Toile duvet cover and shams in porcelain blue. I have 2 of the attached euro shams, 2 smaller square pillows and a lumbar pillow - I'm thinking about incorporating some of those pillows and mixing with white or blue pillow shams a white comforter and the porcelain blue quilt (similar to attached but without the toile quilt). 2nd pic is better example of idea. What do u think? What would be good balance of toile vs white or solid blue pillows? I think this would look nice with a blue wall. Thoughts??
  • hace 11 años
    Absolutely use what you have, it's beautiful. You can play around with it until the balance feels right to you. You can also do seasonal changes by replacing some of the blue with more white or replace the duvet with a quilt at the end of the bed for summer.
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks Bluenan - to be clear I can't use current duvet cover (it's a queen and we r getting a king). Do u think a white comforter would work well with blue quilt? Also how many euro shams would I have for king bed? I only have 2 so if I need a 3rd I'll have to buy and I'm not sure I can match other shams. Could I do one euro pillow with solid blue or white sham to match bedding/other pillows or would that be strange?
  • hace 11 años
    Can you tell me where you got the bed? I must have missed that.
  • hace 11 años
    I got it from Bassett - they had it in showroom and we loved it!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Once you've decided on your bedding, then pick your paint - pull the non-obvious colour from your bedding and paint the walls that colour. Some images for your consideration - good luck
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Wall color and bedding as noted in pictures.

Isabella Collection by Kathy Fielder "Darby" Bed Linens - Horchow · Más información

"Bouchon" Bed Linens - Horchow · Más información

Dian Austin Couture Home "Chantilly" Bed Linens - Horchow · Más información
  • hace 11 años
    Two matching euro shams should be enough and a white duvet would work well. Is the quilt a queen or king? Were you wanting to use the duvet as the main bedspread or at the foot of the bed? A white diamond matelasse spread and shams could be used along with your blue bedding, white that matches the white duvet, or white that is tone on tone, different but complimentary, all would work together.
  • hace 11 años
    You could use the PB white duvet and boudoir pillows with the porcelain border to tie the white to the blue bedding.
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks - I will need to buy new comforter/quilt as I am moving from a queen to a king bed. So the duvet cover and comforter I have won't work. I wanted to just use the pillows from my current bedding. So I'm able to do whatever I want.
    I thought it might be helpful to see my current room. So keep in mind that we will have the new bed, need to get all new dressers, end tables, lamps, and paint (yikes). So it is a clean slate :-). I'm trying to just focus on bed and paint now but ideas about the rest of the room are welcome.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I have a suggestion about the window treatment to address the height. If you are going to use shears, use a white wood cornice and/or covered white shade underneath the draperies but hang them to the ceiling height on the short wall. Hang them at the same height on each window with drapery hung over them.
  • hace 11 años
    If the duvet cover is in good shape, you could use the fabric to make any matching pillows you need. Perhaps even cover a small stool or other accessories you might like.
  • hace 11 años
    Cmc- with that gorgeous sand bed, i would add a base of cream and linene elements instead of starting white. Over time you can layer in prints for spring, flannel christmas sheets, and so forth. Concentrate on quality of textiles. Company store is a good source to watch too. You can fold your porcelain blue queen size quilt in 1/3s and use it across the foot of the bed like a throw. It is nice to be able to enjoy bed when made up with that additional layer. I like duvet covers so you can layer and change things up- splurge on good down comforter, then protect it. That gives opportunity to do cabana stripe tailored bedskirt keyed to print drapery that set your color story and switch bedding. If you choose fabrics with blue, cream, white and linen tones, you can bring out the whites for spring.
  • hace 11 años
    i've heard down comforters suggested. never thought i'd give up my king size down comforters despite the high dry cleaning bills. then i discovered 'down alternative comforters' . i found my at kohls.
    they're wonderful. less expensive , no feather issues and machine washable.
    don't forget a memory foam mattress topper for ultra comfort.
  • hace 11 años
    Perhaps Bassett has a sample of the headboard fabric. It's hard to tell whether it's stone, oyster or sand, each having a slightly different undertone. Having a sample could really help with your other choices. I have a down comforter that is machine washable, they are available.
  • hace 11 años
    i agree that going cream with bedding vs white will prob be best, although do you think my duvet covers (porc blue and white) would mix well with cream? i like ideas given about the comforter and using duvets to protect it and offer some flexibility. i do have a swatch of the bed fabric (see pics) - it is definitely a sandier color & i tlooks much prettier in person :-). it has a lot of texture.. what do you think when looking at the photo of the swatch? in person it has more of a gold tone than in these pics. think blue background is truer reflection.
  • hace 11 años
    The fabric is really pretty! If it's a golden tone, a cream which has a yellow undertone, would look good. I thought it was more of an oyster, which has a grey undertone. Your bedding didn't look like a bright white background, but it's so hard to tell in pictures. Since you have both the sample and the toile, you would be the best one to determine whether you like it or not. You might run by the fabric store and get a bunch of samples of creams and whites that go well with the headboard fabric. There are so many different shades of cream and white. Carry those with you when you're out shopping.
  • hace 11 años
    thanks Bluenan - the current bedding isn't bright white so i think cream would work nicely to complement with the porcelain blue. i will definitely be visiting some stores this weekend to see some bedding in person.
  • hace 11 años
    Hello houzzers - thoughts on how this duvet cover and standard shams would work with my current porcelain blue toile euro shams and accent pillows and porcelain blue quilt? It is Nicole miller currents pearl from bed bath and beyond.
  • hace 11 años
    or this one? i like this one but don't know if it will work so well with the toile pillows (both with more of a textured print. would the first (more luxurious looking) work better? advise would be greatly appreciated!
  • hace 11 años
    I love the look of matelasse with the toile, very French, but the first is really pretty as well. Can you buy a few shams of each and play around with it once the bed is delivered? Can you find sheets to go with the matelasse that you like with the bed? It looks like the ones shown in the picture are white, were you wanting cream? Sorry, lots of questions!
  • hace 11 años
    i'm so torn :-) i like both too :-). i could buy a sham of each although the ivory from pottery barn is limited in stock (duvet is on backorder til april). i guess i could order it and return if i don't like. i could pick up a sham from BB&B and see. as for sheets - i'm not sure, i thought i would see how the white would look (layering the white, blue, and ivory). what do you think?

also, i was thinking layering the 2 toile euro shams with 2 standard shams in the same ivory as duvet cover and then the 2 18 inch pillows in the toile. maybe then adding some smaller porcelain accent pillow. do you think that will work or should i bring in a porcelain sham that matches quilt (2 euro toile, 1 ivory duvet standard sham, 1 porc blue sham to match quilt). i know so many questions :-).
  • hace 11 años
    Layering colors should work, look at both white and cream and see what you like. I think your first suggestion of combining pillows sounds good, possibly using a porcelain neck roll pillow in front of the two 18" toile pillows. That would be plenty of pillows. Then you could fold the porcelain quilt at the foot of the bed.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    You have chosen a lovely headboard. I would recommend incorporating a printing the duvet and shams only. Keep all other sheeting solid. The neutral tone of the fabric goes with any scheme but a few bold accent pillows would lift up an all neutral palette. Decode if you like to seep in color or prefer neutral tones then take it from there. Hard to recommend colors without seeing paint and flooring.
  • hace 11 años
    Thank you for your advice. I am working on bedding and then paint - leaning towards a blue paint color (perhaps BM Wedgewood Gray) to pull the blue from the bedding. Will definitely add a blue quilt too. Floor is wood (oak) and once i get the paint and bedding finalized i need to work on a rug. i'm trying to do this one step at a time.

i think i am going to go ahead and buy the Matellase bedding since it's on backorder. i can always return right :-). i am hoping my new bed arrives next week!!
  • hace 11 años
    Sounds lovely!
  • hace 11 años
    @Lauren bray - FYI bassett is having a sale this weekend of 30% off custom upholstery if you haven't already ordered bed.

Update re my room - I'm still waiting for my bed to be delivered :-(. Once it is I will see how the bedding I bought/have looks (share pics) and then move to paint colors and rest of furniture! Stay tuned....
  • hace 11 años
    Thanks! I ordered my bed last week when the custom upholstery sale was in my home town! I went with a lighter linen then what was in the showroom, I'm excited :)

In the mean time...I'm still searching for the perfect bedding too! I'm excited for your updates :)
  • hace 11 años
    My bed has arrived! I'm uploading pics of the bed prior to being made and also prior to us putting furniture back (so don't judge the mess :->). i will upload more later once we make the bed with the cream and blue bedding.

As mentioned earlier all the furniture, lamps in room need to be replaced and I would love help/ideas from this great community. My biggest question is about next to the bed. I want to put end tables with lamps but you can see that we have windows there and a radiator under one window. Any ideas?
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Nice blue and grey should look great
  • hace 11 años
    Looks great this far! Nice headboard! Great job!
  • hace 11 años
    Love the bed! Looks amazing :) I'm doing all dark furniture with my bed. I've got mirrored nightstands and have my eye on some crystal lamp bases. My colors aren't blue though. I'm more of a grey, white and burgundy gal ;) Can't wait to see your finished look!
  • hace 11 años
    New photo of bed and bedding - What do you think?
    We haven't received cream duvet cover yet so white comforter is in pic. I need ideas for paint color - the walls are currently a grayish blue color and we were thinking either a tan or blue wall (not as gray). What do you think? Also the end tables and dressers will all need to go as will lamps. Any thoughts/ideas???
  • hace 11 años
    The toile looks really pretty. Are you getting a matelasse spread? Blues can be tough, without grey they can go purple or baby blue. Tans can also be difficult, they can go orange or green. Get samples! I do think a soft tan could be really nice as well. Maybe more of a linen, less tan.
  • hace 11 años
    yes I ordered the ivory matellase duvet cover that matches the ivory pillows in pic. The lighting in these pics is so bad (another issue we need to address in room).
    I was originally thinking about BM wedgewood gray (which is not gray but blue :->) but now I'm thinking more beige/tan tone (or linen as you suggested) with blue accents. i will definitely test in room. Thanks again ;-). Do u have thoughts on night stands and lamps?
  • hace 11 años
    What nailhead did you go with? Brass? I know there was nickel, which I went with and another more coppery one. Your pics it looks like the copper nailhead, is that right?
  • hace 11 años
    Hi Lauren - yes I went with copper nailhead. Also FYI I started a new discussion with pics of actual room/bed to help me. Check it out ;-).
  • hace 11 años
    What is the name of the new discussion?
  • hace 11 años
    Bevballew - it is titled - Please help me decorate my new bedroom. Thanks!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Can you paint your end tables silver?
  • hace 11 años
    Kelly - i don't think that would work (also i'm not sure i want to go with silver). i started a new discussion with pics of my room. i'd love for your thoughts on that discussion - entitled: Please help me decorate my new bedroom.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    The ideal way to to about it, is always to buy the rug first, especially if you are buying something rather expensive. An oriental rug for instance. Then, from the rug colors choose the bedding and other accessory colors. When you have all that, choose the paint color - it should go with everything and also should be represented in the rug. The reason you choose the paint color last, is, because it is the easiest to match - there are thousands and thousands of paint colors.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    PS. Don't use too much blue, it's known to make some people feel depressed. That means : don't use it as wall color. Just use it as accents.
  • hace 7 años
    Linens to go with Benjamin Moore blue gaspe
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.