Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_corlett

Need help with curb appeal/landscape

Jennifer Corlett
hace 11 años
We are looking for a paint colour for the awful green siding. We are also hoping to replace the concrete slabs with something more attractive...that's an +80 year old oak! So paint colour and landscape advice! The second pic is a closer look at our brick.

Comentarios (24)

• PRO
    RESIDENTIAL DESIGN STUDIO
    hace 11 años
    I think the bricks great and can look good with a sage green (look at Kelly Moore, "wood moss". You can find the right paint combination, but a few things would help overall if in the budget:
    1. Take the slabs out and replace with a stone retaining wall, that will also give you more landscape area.
    2. Change upper gable from lap siding to shingle siding or board and batten for textural change.
    3. Remove (vinyl?) siding at porch beam and replace with flat profile and crown molding.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Its around the corner, have fun with it....
  • PRO
    Pamela Bateman Garden Design
    hace 11 años
    I agree with RDS about taking out the slabs and replacing them with a stone retaining wall. You should also widen the stairs by the slabs. They should be at least as wide as the other stairs that lead to the front door. You might put a half circle bench around the tree for interest. I don't know what climate zone you are in but you could have a rose planted to the right of the porch and train it along the railings.
  • Lizabeth
    hace 11 años
    If you don't want the labor of a stone wall you could simply remove the concrete and place landscape fabric and have several tons of stones delivered. You can shop around and find a stone supplier and get the less expensive "pit run" and place that as a base and then get a smaller amount of larger rocks and then plant around it.

Or you could take the concrete and break it up and use that to build your stone retaining wall. I have seen that done but don't have any photos.
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks Pamela, we are in Ontario, Canada. I can picture the rose which would look lovel. The oak tree is nice to have but when it has foliage it creates a lot of shade and the root system is shallow. I like the suggestion of widening the steps.
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Lizabeth, thanks so much for the picture! I love the look and I think it would be a great alternative !
  • Lizabeth
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Oh thanks. Make sure and look at the rock first. I found my rock for pretty cheap and splurged on the big ones and my son I shoveled them in place in one morning.
  • PRO
    MSF llc
    hace 11 años
    Try a different approach with "play on grey" from Dunn Edwards as the main color. A great trim color which also helps with damaged fascia board is "black bean"
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Ok thanks! I think breaking up the slabs will be a lot of work but I'm counting on help from my husband and son! The front of the house is our last big project and we have been back and forth on what to do so know we have some good ideas!
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Hi Avante interiors. Those are both great suggestions! I particularly like the "black bean" trim colour.
  • PRO
    Ridge Crest Landscaping and Lawn Care LLC
    hace 11 años
    I recommend starting with the walkway, blue stone would work very well as an accent to the brick along wih a grey paver boarder.

On the hillside of the yard, we need to remove the concrete ramp/wall. This area needs an inviting dry stack stone wall with some boulder accents. Once installed we would plant ground-covers to soften the wall.
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks, is blue stone just what it sounds like?
  • PRO
    Pamela Bateman Garden Design
    hace 11 años
    Yes, I forgot about the shade of the tree. Perhaps a clematis.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Blue stone is really green/grey, bit of blue in the grey
    Google pennsylvania blue stone....always looks good.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    As an urban garden designer in Chicago for several decades I've seen many homes like yours. There's a reason why you have those cement slabs are there -probably to contain the soil and the roots of the oak tree so be careful before you dismantle it. Why not investigate covering the existing slabs with bricks or stone or just staining it and plant a draping groundcover that will grow over it -such as pachysandra or ivy ? Don't know how big your planting beds next to the house are but I would fill them with some low growing broadleaf evergreens mixed with perennials and annuals for color and shade loving shallow rooted plants beneath the shade of the oak tree. A large, long container for your porch railing would be wonderful for seasonal color -including arrangements for winter such as evergreen boughs and berries. Here's a little doodle of my ideas. As to your house colors I think a medium chocolate paint on the top siding with sage green trim would look great.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    P.S. to the above : Two great urns or containers near the staircase will also add interest.
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks! The reason we haven't done much with the slabs is due to that very fact...The one closest to the tree is being pushed out and we are concerned that a retaining wall won't last long before it is compromised by the roots. Thanks for your suggestions. The planting bed almost takes up the entire "lawn" which is really just a patch of poor growing grass. Ground cover and trailing plants is a nice option. Thanks for your doodle!!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Don't suppose, Jennifer that you want to remove the Oak tree ? For the life of me I don't understand who would be so senseless as to plant one in such a tiny urban frontyard. My neighbor in Chicago had one that was the bane of my existence -clogged my sewer with its roots, dropped leaves in the Spring and Fall , etc. and was just plain old and ugly.
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I agree...i don't think there was much thought put into the placement of our tree in 1921!! The tree is actually on city property and it is next to impossible to get them to take trees down unless they are sick. There are a number of old oaks on our street and in our neighbourhood which add a nice canopy to the streetscape but we have had issues with drains etc
    hace 11 años
    Great ideas! I like the idea to change the siding to board or batten or even shake shingles. If that isn't an option, at least streamline the trim colors. I think there would be a great improvement if all the trim, facia and railing was on color. A light tan? And if there was anyway to get rid of that white/light stripe on the second floor.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Didn't know it was the parkway tree, Jennifer. From the appearance in the photo it looks like its in your frontyard. I wouldn't spend a penny of my own on public property because the minute you do the city comes along and decides to dig it up and replace pipes or the curb. Have seen it happen too many times.
  • Jennifer Corlett
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    The tree is on our front lawn however the city property line is almost to our front porch!! We can landscape but not remove trees. I actually don't think we can even remove trees that are on our property unless they are diseased...
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    hace 11 años
    Wow that's amazing. Never heard of that before. Someone built out beyond the property line I guess. We had 30 feet setback rules on our street, but had some developers come in and tried to build right up to the public sidewalk but we stopped them. Imagine being in a home overshadowed by a huge condo building on either side. Ooop ! Instant shade garden :-)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.