Houzz Logo Print
roni_gafni

should I cut down the trees and start fresh?

Roni Gafni
hace 8 años
going to buy this house and not sure what to do with the trees. On some level I like them and they look nice and provide shade, but on the other hand I don't think any of them are particularly beautiful and I like the idea of knocking everything down and starting fresh. Was thinking of putting a focal point Tree in each Corner, maybe like a cherry blossom or crepe myrtle , nothing that would be taller than twenty-five or thirty feet with a nice canopy. what do you guys think?

Comentarios (28)

• Roni Gafni
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    just to be clear, there are five large trees on the property that need to be taken down. The big old Evergreen on one side, the tree by the corner, the big tree in front of the house and the two trees with leaves up the bark on the side
  • Lindsay K
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Trees add value to your house, I would not cut any down that are healthy. Since you have so many, I would have an arborist come out and look them all over. If he/she sees any that look unsafe, unwell, or that need pruning, they will tell you. Those trees are beautiful though. If you want to give something the ax, I'd go after the large shrubs instead, maybe? But take some time to contemplate the trees...I think if you start chopping, you may regret it later. New trees take a *long* time to grow.

• Lindsay K
    hace 8 años

Ok, so if you're sure some need to be removed...maybe see how things look and post a new picture once those are down?

• Roni Gafni
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify. I don't know that anything must be taken down or is unhealthy. We just don't like the way the big Evergreen on one corner of the property looks and the two with the leaves up the trunk look on the other side. So that leaves the by the corner of the block amd the huge one in front of the house that we think are kind of nice. But then we were thinking as long as we were going to take a bunch down why not clear the whole space and start fresh with some beautiful new colorful trees like Kwanzan cherry trees for example.
    In terms of value to the home wouldn't eye catching trees that we replace them with add value once they grow a bit?
    And in terms of purely aesthetic could we grow smaller focal point trees if we also keep a couple of the massive ones that dwarf them?
  • Roni Gafni
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I hear what you are saying about how they take a long time to grow. That's def worth considering.
  • Roni Gafni
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    is there a way to just take all the ivy off these 2 trees and preserve them?
  • Lindsay K
    hace 8 años

I think it would look fine to leave a couple of the large ones, and mix in a few smaller trees. It's hard to tell from the picture, but if you remove the evergreen on the corner, could you put one cherry tree on either side of the driveway, to kind of frame the driveway as you're pulling in? I also wonder how it would look to clear out the bushes near the fence by the curb. That might give you more of a clean slate.

To answer your question about the value of cherry trees versus shade trees...I'm not sure. I'm from the south, so mature shade trees are nice to have. I have a mixture of both in my yard though. I have large shade trees, but also a few ornamentals to bring in color and look pretty.

• Roni Gafni
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    These are the sides, we are definitely clearing out that area and starting fresh there. Your idea of framing the driveway is a stroke of genius btw :)
    That way we can do what we can to keep the shade trees while simultaneously giving the cherry trees there own space where they can be a focal point and not get overwhelmed
  • PRO
    Hjelte Garden Design AB
    hace 8 años
    I would have taken down the tree in the corner - the branches are too spread apart to be beautiful, be able to trim or could be a hazard when the branches could break apart. Keep the biggest one in the front but trim the branches to give more light. The third tree with poisy ivy on the trunk could also be taken down. A thing to remember about cutting down big trees is the fact that where will the access water go? Big trees drink many houndred liters a day and if the position of your land is so that water stays it might be a problemto cut down any trees.

Good luck in your project!
    \Therese
  • baileysr
    hace 8 años
    If they are healthy and not causing you problems, my vote would be to keep them. Those trees are part of your ecosystem and host birds etc. that little new trees will not replace. Those trees probably give your house more sun/wind protection for your house than you might guess. They give your yard an established and natural look that many people stuck in tract lots with little nursery trees would dream to have. I'm not a fan of chopping everything down and starting new.
  • Jan
    hace 8 años
    In our city you have to have a really good reason to cut a tree down. Trim and clean them up. It looks like your shrubs need more attention.
  • jmm1837
    hace 8 años

The only tree that actually needs to be taken down is probably the evergreen right on the edge of your house. The rest need to be cleaned up (get the ivy off them) and maybe trimmed. Cut them down, and you might as well be living in yet another bog standard suburb that was built six weeks ago. Trees, mature trees, add character to a home and property. Little bitsy ornamental trees don't.

• katinparadise
    hace 8 años

IMO, I think you should keep the 3 large shade trees. I would see if the ivy can be removed from the third. I agree that it's a good idea to remove the evergreen in the corner. I'd also remove the one to the right of the picture window and the one to the right of the octagon window. They're all too close to the house and can do damage to your foundation. Cleaning up on the sides will make a huge difference as well. I'm sure you had a home inspection but since there are so many large trees in the yard, did you have the water lines from the street to the house looked at as well to be sure the roots haven't gotten into the lines? If they have, it could be very expensive if at some point you have to replace those pipes.

• nicole___
    hace 8 años

I just purchased a house with HUGE 50 year old trees. I'm cutting all the tops off keeping 20'. The tops will bush out, not over whelm the yard and if they don't make it...then I'll cut them to the ground. The only one I didn't keep was a big aspen tree. They need a lot of water and care....and...it was over the sewer line.

You might want to try a harsh trim....there is value in trees. Also a cherry bush would be pretty....no need for a whole tree....just a suggestion. As for trees by the driveway...in a windstorm they can fall on a parked car...or drip sap on a parked car...

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 8 años
    Topping a tree is murder on the tree, inviting rot into the trunk. You might as well save a step and cut it down. No certified arborist tops trees ever.
  • sandradclark
    hace 8 años

Have you seen the trees with their foliage on them? Find out what kind of trees you have & definately eliminate the ivy from the one tree. Have an arborist give you their opinion, for sure. Trees are worth keeping if they are strong.

• Casandra383 Dean
    hace 8 años
    Your neighbors may hate you if you cut those down!! We had an idiot move across the street from us and cut down every tree on the lot. There were 3 nice large ones that had been left standing when the subdivision was built in the 1960's. Unfortunately for us, those trees shaded our brick house and 9' front window from the evening sun. Our power bill went up about $100 per month and I had to buy heavy new drapes. Needless to say, I don't like him much!!
  • gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    And NICOLE do not let anyone TOP your trees. Tree topping is done by people who want to make a fast buck but who know nothing about tree trimming. No licensed ARBORIST would top a tree because it ruins the shape, structure and integrity of the tree.
  • PRO
    Garden Tech Horticultural Services LLC
    hace 8 años

I strongly agree with all the above comments about keeping the shade trees until you've had a chance to see how they look when they are leafed out. At that time you can determine which if any are causing too much shade and which might be providing beneficial shade . Definately an arborist should be consulted to determine the health and condition to help you decide which trees to keep and which ones to consider removing. The shrubs around the house are overgrown and should likely go and are easily replaced. Replacing mature trees takes decades.

As far as considering new trees it is also good idea to consult a local nursery or landscape expert. Cherry trees in our are are very prone to insect and disease issues. If a client of mine would like a to add a cherry tree to their landscape I always check to see if there are any diseased trees on adjacent properties or wooded areas. Diseases like 'black knot' spread very easily and if something like that is prevalent in a neighborhood I suggest staying away from cherry and other susceptible trees.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

I am definitely in the camp that recommends a professional to determine if the tree stays or goes. In addition, in our county, removing a tree requires a permit from the county, and if the tree is non invasive and not diseased, it's likely the permit will only be granted if the owner agrees to install additional replacement trees.

So not only do you need an arborist, but a qualified landscaper to arrive at a master plan. Both of those services can usually be supplied by a large enough landscaping company.

• PRO
    Linda
    hace 8 años

Start with cutting the evergreens next to the house and pruning the overgrown shrubs. Live in the house for a year and see how healthy the trees are and how they provide shade. You can always cut the trees down next year but until you've seen the house in every season, you can't make a good informed decision.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Check if you are even allowed to cut them down! Where I live you have to ask to cut a tree down. It isn't always easy!
  • AnhitA Nazeri
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

yes indeed consult the City Street Crews to see if Trees are in Good Health, To Cut them prepare your checkbook.....Trimming tops would be more manageable..they regrow without much fuss second Look You have some kind of Ivy growing up the Trunk and part of Limbs is it English Ivy or Poison Sumac in any case they are choking the Hell out of the Tree...and surely the inside is invaded with Parasites

• shari13
    hace 7 años

I think the trees overwhelm the house and add nothing. I know I am weird like that - some people think trees are practically untouchable beings.

• nmp19
    hace 7 años
    Be prepared to pay thousands of dollars to remove such large trees. As others have stated, consult a professional. If you really want a fresh start, remove the fence and all shrubbery around the perimeter of your home. Plant new house perimeter landscaping in spring. The trees covered in ivy should be pruned and ivy removed from their trunks. Then step back and be objective. After paying for all new house perimeter landscaping, your wallet may cause you to pause. Be objective after perimeter landscaping is planted. Take lots of photos after the trees have leafed out in late spring. You may be pleasantly surprised by their beauty. In summer, they will provide you with lovely shade.
  • nmp19
    hace 7 años
    Be advised there are a lot of tree roots on your property. That may hinder the growth of smaller flowering trees. Here in Michigan, we have lost so many lovely large trees to Dutch elm disease and Oak wilt. Every one of my neighbors would love to have your trees. Large stately trees add more value to homes in our area. Many times smaller flowering trees are very messy. Choose your smaller trees wisely. Get some expert advice for your area.
  • nmp19
    hace 7 años
    Kwanzan cherry trees can be very lovely but their flowering time is short. Kwanzan cherry trees grow to a height and spread of 15-25 feet. They may tolerate some drought but do not withstand pollution or steady winds well. Trees need full sun and good drainage. They also have shallow root system. No standing water. But there are several cons to investing money in these trees. They are considered to have a short life span (15-25 years) due to its susceptibility to a number of diseases (leaf spot, powdery mildew) , pests (aphids, spider mites, scales and tent caterpillars) and environmental factors.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.