Houzz Logo Print
mazdamandy

A lounge with a more contemporary feel

Amanda
hace 8 años
As you will see by photos attached I have two dark brown sofas and a light wood floor which I have to keep. The dining room is attached by double glass doors with medium dark frame which I can paint as well as skirting boards in the dining room is medium oak table and sideboard which I am unable to change either. What can go is the fire surround as its (fake ) and way past its sell by date also the two built in cupboards either side plus the orange large pine coffee table (scratched to bits) unless someone has a great idea as what to do with it. I will however keep the small occasional table in between the sofas as I have two and I think they would paint well. So in other words the whole room could be arranged differently. I would like to introduce greys I.e paint accessories etc please help Its all driving me mad. Sorry the photos have been taking at night as its actually a south facing room so it's normally flooded with light. Ideas please thanks.

Comentarios (12)

• Amanda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks very much for reply Karolina. I would like the room to feel cosy/comfortable but with a modern / contemporary twist to it . I do like the idea of F&B Blackened paint for walls as it seems to have a hint of Blue/duck egg to it..
  • Amanda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Karolina will definitely go with the F&B Blackened paint for walls. Still can't get my head around other colours will have to wait till room is emptied of things and to see how I can arrange the furniture better as what ever I do it needs to go with dining room. Thanks
  • PRO
    Karolina Barnes
    hace 8 años
    Great choice Amanda. See how you get on. As you said, once the wall paint is done you'll see how it feels. Let me know about your progress.
  • Amanda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Karolina for reply when I first added this post it would say unable to download now I a few of the same !! And unable to delete and stick with one. So not sure if you have read comments on the other ones so so sorry if I'm repeating myself. So here goes again. If in lounge I'm left only with sofas and two side tables and light wood floor through out taking in mind oak table and sideboard in dining room would I get away with a modern bit of furniture to stand television on off centre as cupboards fire surround and dado rail ( or keep dado rail ) would all be removed I can paint glass doors to dining room side tables sideboard and skirting boards. That's the real dilemma trying to go contemporary with furniture that isn't. Thanks Amanda
  • PRO
    Karolina Barnes
    hace 8 años

Definitely. You can inject contemporary feel in the space through a selection of pieces and elements. The wall paint, if you paint the glass doors as well, will be the first step towards more contemporary look. Then I would choose 1/ lighting - statement contemporary ceiling pendant (not glam or glass, but more timeless, modern - check our voga.com for example), nice tall table lamps - a pair of them on either side of sofa to define the height, symmetry and balance and/or contemporary floor lamp for a reading corner which you can create on one side of the sofa or armchair. 2/ art, 3/ rug and 4/ coffee table (if you have a space for it). These 3 or 4 will be the game-changers. What you have to remember is that the existing pieces you won't be removing don't necessarily shout contemporary but you can achieve a contemporary feel through the smaller things - the details. I would research the products, if I were you, including art, rug, cushions, lighting and put a plan together. That way you could see how the space would look. In terms of the coffee table and materials, calacatta marble, white polished surfaces and finishes on furniture, metals such as nickel or gold (e.g. for picture frames, trims etc.) would be my first options to look at. Eliminate the rest, unless you can't find anything. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Higgins Cladding Limited
    hace 8 años

If You wanted to create a Feature wall i would suggest using Bricks Slips, these come in a range of colours to suit your tastes and designs ideas. Please see www.higginscladding.co.uk for our range. For inspiration you could look at our facebook page where we have a series of inspirational posts that could give you some ideas. https://www.facebook.com/higginscladding

• Amanda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Karolina that all does help. Will let you know how it all works out but given we still on with kitchen then bathroom,not in immediate rush for lounge just wanted the ideas so I can sort out some kind of book with colours material etc so that I have a plan rather than make do.Thanks so much Amanda
  • Amanda
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Higgins Cladding for reply I have seen these feature walls and their striking and lovely. But not for me.
    Thanks Amanda
  • PRO
    watergrove painting & decorating
    hace 7 años

Hi Amanda, woudnt do a feature wall. as this would make your room look smaller. painting wall in a light grey would be a idea

• Suzanne Burnell
    hace 7 años
    I think someone ought to talk about the elephant in the room...
  • Amanda
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks to watergrove and honey mummy for reply elephant gone walk about lol.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.